Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jay Bruce props

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Jay Bruce props

From today's Kevin Goldstein column on BP, he ranks Bruce as the #2 corner outfielder in the minors:

The 12th overall pick in the 2005 draft, Bruce's season has been a revelation. He's among the Midwest League top five in all three Triple Crown categories and leads the circuit in extra-base hits and slugging percentage. When it comes to Bruce, Gonzalez and Tabata, you could put all three in a hat and however you pull the names out might be the right ranking. I give Bruce the edge because he has more present-and-accounted-for skills, as his OPS is equal to Gonzalez' and he's doing it in a far tougher offensive environment. The average numbers of runs scored in a game played by Gonzalez's Lancaster Jethawks is a whopping 12.31, while a game played by Bruce's Dayton Dragons averages 8.94. That's a highly significant difference. There are no weaknesses in Bruce's offensive game, 58 of his 119 hits have gone for extra bases, and if you believe in the axiom of doubles turning into home runs, Bruce has 39 of them to show you. His plate discipline is solid, and he even has 18 stolen bases. There's nothing not to like here.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5385
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce props

Bruce is probably the best prospect in the entire minors, not the second best corner OF prospect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I will go for that. I would rank Delmon Young ahead of Jay Bruce. Jay is probably between 8 and 11 on my top prospects list in all of baseball. Not shabby for a kid who is still a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I would rank Delmon Young ahead of Jay Bruce.
    I must have missed Jay Bruce's mental breakdown

As far as talent, Delmon Young is notches above everyone else in the minor leagues, in my opinion. He can steal you bases, hit you home runs, hit for a high average, play good defense and has a cannon for an arm. He does it all VERY well. If the kid has an attitude problem so be it. that only drops him down a notch or two, and well he is still ahead of everyone else.

. If the kid has an attitude problem so be it. that only drops him down a notch or two.
    the Bengals appreciate your continuing support.

if I'm starting a farm system, I'm looking squarely at Jay Bruce and letting someone else pay for Young's future problems

viewing life within a vacuum is liable to suck later

You might be right about that. Delmon would be playing on my major league team yesterday.

Jay is also back in the line up tonight for the Dragons after having two days off for a stiff neck.

As far as talent, Delmon Young is notches above everyone else in the minor leagues, in my opinion. He can steal you bases, hit you home runs, hit for a high average, play good defense and has a cannon for an arm. He does it all VERY well. If the kid has an attitude problem so be it. that only drops him down a notch or two, and well he is still ahead of everyone else.
    I think a players "make up" is seriously undervalued around here. Your head has to be in the game. It can be the difference between a super star or an occasional all star. I value the "make up" of a player a lot more than most. That said, I'd still like to have Delmon - but he's got some growing up to do. But look, I was a stupid kid at his age too. He just needs to mature.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    I think a players "make up" is seriously undervalued around here. Your head has to be in the game. It can be the difference between a super star or an occasional all star. I value the "make up" of a player a lot more than most. That said, I'd still like to have Delmon - but he's got some growing up to do. But look, I was a stupid kid at his age too. He just needs to mature.
    The difference is, he's a stupid kid with millions of dollars. Money has a way of fueling further stupidity and inhibiting maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    Bruce is probably the best prospect in the entire minors, not the second best corner OF prospect.

Just out of curiosity, if you could have a draft of the entire minor leagues, what would be your top five picks? Would Bruce really be #1?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana
    Just out of curiosity, if you could have a draft of the entire minor leagues, what would be your top five picks? Would Bruce really be #1?
    five picks is different. With five picks, you pick five pitchers. Spread the risk, dominate the most important part of the game

but if only one wish can be granted, and it needs to come true, then Bruce is it.

If I had to pick 5 position players that are currently in the minors, I would start off with
    1. Delmon Young.
    2. Brandon Wood. Power hitting infeilder with tons of pop.
    3. Justin Upton. All the tools and talent in the world. OF
    4. Jay Bruce. slightly a notch below Upton in the tools department, but still has all 5 tools, that are quite good but with a bit more pop in his bat.
    5. Cameron Maybin. Amazing speed, Amazing glove. A true CF. He can hit and good lord can the kid steal you some bases.

Howie Kendrick and Stephen Drew are both currently in the majors, so they werent available. I would have taken Kendrick though 4th had he been available.

Turn Off Ads?