Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The time is right for Junior

The time is right for Junior

The time is right for Junior.

It's time to step up and reclaim national attention.

He's got a historic opportunity. He's "the Natural" in an age of juicers. MLB should be riding him like a pack mule in the public relations war to get the press off Bonds.

He's got the pedigree, and he's got the opportunity. The only question is, does he have enough left in the tank.

This year has been the first time I've felt like age is finally catching up with him, and not just the injuries.

He's played a lot more innings in the last year and a half than any season since 2001. The injuries robbed him of a legitimate run at Aaron's record. Heck, I've been thrilled that he's healthy and able to play the past year and a half.

But the stroke is still in there. The signature image of Ken Griffey, Jr. is that magnificant stroke.

In the field, there's no denying he's lost a lot of range. He anticipates well and get's great jumps and positions himself like the gold glover he still thinks like. But the legs don't explode like they used to. He was a cheetah in the outfield in his prime. Now, he's running as hard, he just isn't getting there as fast.

I know that I should be thankful for the chance to see him in a lot of games. But man, I'd sure love it if he could stay healthy and finish strong this year.

If you've got something special left Junior, do it this year.

Do it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The time is right for Junior

Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Makes all the routine posts.

Let us hope so
    Go Gators!

Worth The Wait

Great post 62. But my hope has faded--I think the mind is willing, but the age has simply caught up to Jr. He's as healthy as he'll ever be, yet he simply isn't a "scary" hitter anymore and he's certainly average at best in CF. If we're waiting for him to carry us, I think we'll wait forever.

However, my hope is that if Dunn and the pitching can carry us deep enough into the race, that perhaps Junior can catch a glimpse of his old form for a week or two or even simply at some opportune moments. I'd like to see him have an impact in a post-season situation. The only memory I have of him in the post-season was racing home with the winning run to beat the Yankees in the 1995 ALDS. His time is running oh so short, but he could still become relevant again if the Reds hang around long enough. "Winning one for Junior" is one of my biggest motivations for this team to keep winning.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

You know, for the longest time I always thought it looked funny to see Junior in a Reds uni -- like he was out of place. Not that I didn't like him, but that he wasn't a Red the way Larkin was a Red.

I know this part of his career has not been what it could've, but when I saw that picture, it struck me as odd to see him in a Mariners uniform. He truly is a Red in my mind now. I like that. Sadly, I think we're seeing the beginning of the end this year. He can't catch up to everything and it's cascading on his approach.

That said, I still think he's capable of being very dangerous in spurts. It would be an amazing thing to see him heat up this summer, carry us to the playoffs, and possibly far in. If there is anybody in baseball who "deserves" a ring, I have to believe Junior is at the top of the list.

Go Jr.!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

"Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

He's no Robert Redford or Kevin Costner.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Junior can still be a great hitter. He has even shown signs this year. Is there a better swing in baseball?

I really have nothing but respect and admiration for Jr. I want this guy to succeed in his "latter" years after all he has gone through since coming to the Reds.

But from watching him this last month, his timing really seems to be off. And he really seems to be pressing when looking at his plate impatience and first pitch swinging.

The pitch he swung at to strikeout last night in the 9th was way out of the strike zone. I was really surprised that he swung at that pitch, but as do a lot of hitters when they age, he has begun to start early to catch up to the fastball. Getting out on the front foot will make you look really bad on a lot of pitches.

I really believe that Krivsky is going to have "that talk" with Junior this off-season about moving to a corner or to first base in the best interests of the ballclub. I believe that Krivsky is going to hit it straight on, and it will be interesting to see how Junior reacts to it. He has definitely lost a couple of steps in centerfield and I think it hurts the ballclub from time to time. There are a lot of balls that he doesn't get to now that Freel would definitely catch. I still think he can contribute as a hitter, but he is starting to slow down and I really think his slumps can be contributed to having to start earlier to catch up with the good fastballs and a lot of guessing.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    The pitch he swung at to strikeout last night in the 9th was way out of the strike zone. I was really surprised that he swung at that pitch, but as do a lot of hitters when they age, he has begun to start early to catch up to the fastball. Getting out on the front foot will make you look really bad on a lot of pitches.

I really believe that Krivsky is going to have "that talk" with Junior this off-season about moving to a corner or to first base in the best interests of the ballclub. I believe that Krivsky is going to hit it straight on, and it will be interesting to see how Junior reacts to it. He has definitely lost a couple of steps in centerfield and I think it hurts the ballclub from time to time. There are a lot of balls that he doesn't get to now that Freel would definitely catch. I still think he can contribute as a hitter, but he is starting to slow down and I really think his slumps can be contributed to having to start earlier to catch up with the good fastballs and a lot of guessing.
    Good post!
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I agree, but I don't think this has to wait for the offseason. They are in a pennant race and the talk should have happened in May or June.

God post Randy... and we can only hope that "talk" occurs. But with the extension given Hat, I doubt Jr will ever see 1B. If you move him to LF then where does Dunn go? 1B? Then again you create a problem with the Hat extension. Unless Hat accepts his role as a back-up player. But does he deserve that after his '06 performance? I really don't think Kriv signed him to that extension as a back-up, but we'll see.

I thoroughly agree that this team is playing certain players out of position. And they aren't going to do any great "shake up" this year because they are very much in this thing with what they have and where they are currently playing people.

Again - would love to see these moves (at least in '07)...

LF - Dunn (gonna be a defensive liability wherever)
    CF - Deno (kid is getting a raw deal IMO; but many said they'd rather have him up here sitting the bench, and available, then down in AAA)
    RF - Freel (he's gonna play all 3 anyway, wherever he is! )
    1B - Jr/Hat
    2B - Aurilia (they are gonna pick up that option, and have no immediate solutions at 2B if Phillips is moved to SS)
    SS - Phillips
    3B - Encarnacion
    C - Ross/ LaRue

With that lineup though, our bench strength will become depleted. I will make a bet with anyone that either Castro or Clayton will be on that bench next year when they are only making 1 Mil each. If it has to be so, then I'd prefer Castro who has played all 4 INF positions.

This organization has some hope in prospects like Bailey, Votta, and Bruce. Bruce is still 2-3 years away. I'm impressed with Votta (soon to be 26); but the age clock is running on him. And his position is 1B.

Jr is never gonna be dealt folks. We can hope, wish, and start threads on it all we want... and while it's not an impossibility, it's very unlikely. This FO's best bet is to move him to a position that will aid the team and also aid Jr until that contract runs out after 2008. And hope Bruce is ready.

We have this kid named Joey Votto who is tearing the cover off the ball in AA

i really think if he makes a move its to RF. He still has a great arm, doesn't need CF range with Deno there...

Deep down im hoping they cut aurilla loose and EE is the full time 3Bman Freel plays 2B 4 days a week 1 day in CF and Bergolla/Castro fill in at 2B the other 2 to 3 days a week

Turn Off Ads?