Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting to prepare for my big $$ draft...

Starting to prepare for my big $$ draft...

Figured I'd see what peoples opinions were.

10 team redraft non keeper league.

20 yds passing/point
    TD pass = 6 pts
    INT = -2

15 yds/point for receiving yards
    1pt/reception
    TD catch = 6 pts

10 yds/point rushing yards
    1pt/reception
    TD run = 6 pts

Two point conversions are 2pt of course.

Fumbles are -2

We start:

2 QBs
    3 RBs
    3 WRs
    1 TE
    1 K
    2 DEF/ST

Only have 3 bench spots and one injury spot. So only a 15/16 player roster.

Ok, now for the opinions. I have the 3rd pick and I know for sure Alexander will be gone. I'm hoping Larry J will be the 1st pick and I will end up with LT.

Here is who I am targeting with my picks. Let me know if I have anyone overvalued or undervalued. If all these players were available when this pick came I will list who I would currently take in order.

#3 - LT or LJ
    #18 - Palmer, Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith
    #23 - Julius Jones, Holt, Brady, Harrison, Randy Moss
    #38 - Gates, Hasselbeck, Kevin Jones
    #43 - Santana Moss, Eli, Dayne
    #58 - Burress, Shockey, Gore, Duece
    #63 - Tony G, Javon Walker, Housh

If things worked perfect from above, I would end up with:

LT
    Palmer
    Jones
    Gates
    Moss or Eli
    Burress
    Walker or Housh

I would then take a QB and RB with my next 2 picks, then probably a WR, then get DEF and K late.

Thoughts?
    Matta = Really good

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Starting to prepare for my big $$ draft...

before you jump on palmer, take a look at a possible #2 back that will get you good yard and lots of receptions, or take a top WR, you can prob. get s better qb later, if this were a keeper league Id tell you otherwise, but its not, and carsons ? is to big of a gamble to take in the 2nd round of a big money draft, look for hasselbeck in round 4-5

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Since you start 3 RBs, I'd grab 2 w/ your first 2 picks, perhaps 3. RBs are going to be the most consistant performers. Heck, I'd look to pick up 4 rbs w/n your first 8-9 picks. 3 to start, and 1 for insurance, bye weeks. Only 1 RB a team gets big carries typically, so 10 fantasy teams x 3 starting RBs a team roughly equals the number of starting tail backs in the NFL. Factor in injuries & byes, and RB is by far the most important posisiton. You'll really have a leg up on the opposition if you have 3 solid RBs each weak vs the guy that only has 2 starters and is playing a FB or backup every week.

Depending on the amount of Bengal fans in your draft, Palmer might be available in round 3 or 4. He might even drop later if people are scared off by his injury. Chris Simms could be a steal later in the draft.

I'd pass on Gates w/ the questions surrounding his QB and look to draft a TE later. Randy McMicheal (Dolphins) could be had several rounds later and might produce similar numbers.

If it were me w/ the #3 pick in a 10 man league (I assume snake format), I'd go:

RB
    RB/QB (Depending on whom you project to fall to you in round 3)
    QB/RB
    RB/WR (again depending on whom you project to fall to you in round 3)
    WR/RB

At this point in round 5, you'll have your 3 main RBs, your prime QB & a solid WR.

I'd spend rounds 6-9 trying to pick up 1 sleeper RB (or even a good quality starter if one falls), a WR, another WR/TE and perhaps your other QB. However in a 10 man league, a good one could fall to rounds 10-12, so don't jump just to fill a slot, but if a great one is sitting there, don't hesitate at this point

Other things to keep in mind, try to only keep your starting 2QBs,1 TE, 1 DE/ST & 1 kicker. Make sure they have varying bye weeks, so that you can drop a WR/RB that you don't think will get picked up the week that one of them has a bye, and pickup their replacement for a week.

I'm not sure when the first bye week is, but in the past I believe its been in week 3. No sense keeping a backup kicker on the roster when you can hold onto a sleeper WR/RB that just might work their way into the starting lineup before your main kicker gets his week off.

medford, thanks for the thoughts. I have waited way to long to really get into researching for this draft seeing as how it's tomorrow night. Luckily I work a 3rd shift job and will have about 5-6 hours tonight just to look over all the info I have.

I put this league settings into a draft analyzer that I have and it by far, REALLY FAR, favors QBs in this league setup. With QBs getting 6 pts for a TD and 1 pt for only 20 yards passing the analyzer says that 19 of the Top 22 players in this league will be QBs. It has LT #7, LJ #15, and Alexander #22. Now, of course I'd never pass up LT with my 3rd pick but it sure seems this league favors QBs a lot.

Now, on the other hand, with so many QBs being pretty equal in projections, this league will probably still come down to RBs and WRs.

Right now, I am of course hoping LT doesn't go #1 and I'll get him at #3. (#2 pick is Alexander 100%) If LT does go #1, then I will end up with LJ which I can't really complain but would rather have LT because of the PPR.

With pick #18 I am going to focus on another RB. I am going to hope that Westbrook, Cadillac, or Ronnie Brown slide to #18. If none of those 3 are there I am going to go to Julius Jones or Kevin Jones.

With pick #23 I am going to target my #1 QB. With Palmer so unsteady, I am going to hope that Brady or Hasselbeck are still on the board. If not I will probably go after my #1 receiver and target Boldin, C. Johnson, or TO.

With pick #38 I am going to go with whatever I did not get with pick #23. Either a QB or WR. Guys like McNabb, or Eli as QB. Chambers, D. Jackson, Roy Williams, or Hines Ward.

With pick #43 I will then go back to get my #3 RB. Someone like Willie Parker, DeShaun Foster, Jamal Lewis.

With those 1st 5 picks, if I ended up with:

LT
    Westbrook (because of PPR)
    Brady
    Jackson, Chambers, or Williams
    Lewis

I think I would be off to a wonderful start.

Any more thouhgts are appreciated.
    Matta = Really good

I like the line of thinking. Palmer is an interesting debate. If healthy, he should be a top 3 QB. Everything looks to say that he's healthy and should suit up week 1, but you just never know.

A very big risk/reward if you grab him early. I couldn't blame you if you did as his fantasy potential is probably only 2nd to Manning.

I'd pass on McNabb (at least that early). If I recall correctly, he's never been a great fantasy QB except for the year or so that he had things working w/ TO. McNabb has a big name which probably inflates his value, but I think I'd rather have Jake Delhomme

Additionally, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a big name WR or QB w/ your #2 pick if you're 100% positive that when it comes back to swing to you there will be a RB available in the 3rd round that you would have been comfortable w/ in the 2nd round.

Being able to project a couple of picks ahead and getting a feel for what will be available in the next pick can really help your draft out.

Although, If cadillac or ronnie williams were available, I think I'd be hard pressed to pass on either in round 2.

Welp, here is the outcome of last nights draft. I am quite happy with my team. It was voted the best post draft team by 6 of the 10 guys in the league. Not that that means anything.

QB - Brady
    QB - Bulger
    QB - Simms
    RB - LT
    RB - R. Brown
    RB - R. Bush
    RB - L. White
    WR - C. Chambers
    WR - Housh
    WR - Bruce
    WR - K. Robinson
    TE - Heap
    K - Rackers
    DEF - Redskins
    DEF - Falcons

White was sorta a hope and pray pick, but it was late in the draft and I did not see to many better options that had a chance to play.

Bruce and Robinson also aren't the best 3rd WRs, but again there was not much around. I may pick up Chris Henry once he is officially back to the 3rd WR.

The draft had many surprising picks. Palmer went 8th, Rudi went 9th and this is a PPR league, McNabb went in the 3rd round, and Eli Manning went in the 2nd.

Thoughts?
    Thoughts?
    Matta = Really good

What is a PPR league??? I probably should know, I'm not sure what it stands for.

I like your draft. For a 3rd WR, Bruce is a pretty solid option. Keep your eyes open early, there's always a break thru rookie or young guy that jumps out in the first couple of weeks.

How attached are you to your 2 defenses?? Since the season is still a month away, I'd consider dropping 1 or 2 of them now, and picking up a backup RB and/or WR just in case somebody gets hurt. Its pretty much an insurance play on your most important positions. Then before the season drops, drop 2 players to pick up your defensive starters.

Unless you feel like you've got the upper teir defensive squads, they're all pretty similar in point potential from about 5-20. Its kind of a risk reward type deal, since you only have 10 coaches, I'm guessing most only carry 2 defenses, meaning there should be a decent one available. Of course you also run the risk of someone picking up these 2 squads, and leaving you with something worse.

I guess it kind of depends on whose available on the waiver wire.

Quote Originally Posted by medford
    What is a PPR league??? I probably should know, I'm not sure what it stands for.

I like your draft. For a 3rd WR, Bruce is a pretty solid option. Keep your eyes open early, there's always a break thru rookie or young guy that jumps out in the first couple of weeks.

How attached are you to your 2 defenses?? Since the season is still a month away, I'd consider dropping 1 or 2 of them now, and picking up a backup RB and/or WR just in case somebody gets hurt. Its pretty much an insurance play on your most important positions. Then before the season drops, drop 2 players to pick up your defensive starters.

Unless you feel like you've got the upper teir defensive squads, they're all pretty similar in point potential from about 5-20. Its kind of a risk reward type deal, since you only have 10 coaches, I'm guessing most only carry 2 defenses, meaning there should be a decent one available. Of course you also run the risk of someone picking up these 2 squads, and leaving you with something worse.

I guess it kind of depends on whose available on the waiver wire.

PPR = point per reception

So that is why I wanted LT so bad. With a new QB he will probably get a ton of drop off passes since Rivers will probably be rushed quite a bit.

We start 2 DEF every week, that is why I went ahead and got 2 in the draft. It is also $2/waiver wire move so that can add up pretty quickly

The only guy on the waiver wire I wouldn't mind having right now is Maroney. Dillon is pretty fragile and Maroney has supposedly been having a great camp and people believe he could play a lot even early.

Others on the waiver wire:

Duckett
    DeAngelo Williams
    Mike Bell
    Nate Burleson
    David Givens
    Chris Henry
    Heath Miller
    Giants DEF
    Jets DEF
    Vikings DEF

Thanks for the thoughts.
    Matta = Really good

ok, with the waiver wire cost, I'd hold on to the defenses. No sense dropping $8 this early.

There is some solid talent on the waiver wire. I can't believe Heath Miller is on there. He could be a top 5 TE before the season is out.

Maroney is intriguing. Both he & Lindel White could end up starting before the season hits the halfway point. Or they could remain as backups all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    PPR = point per reception

So that is why I wanted LT so bad. With a new QB he will probably get a ton of drop off passes since Rivers will probably be rushed quite a bit.

We start 2 DEF every week, that is why I went ahead and got 2 in the draft. It is also $2/waiver wire move so that can add up pretty quickly

The only guy on the waiver wire I wouldn't mind having right now is Maroney. Dillon is pretty fragile and Maroney has supposedly been having a great camp and people believe he could play a lot even early.

Others on the waiver wire:

Duckett
    DeAngelo Williams
    Mike Bell
    Nate Burleson
    David Givens
    Chris Henry
    Heath Miller
    Giants DEF
    Jets DEF
    Vikings DEF

Thanks for the thoughts.

Ducketts a huge vulture pick for short yard td's!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Duckett may be traded to the Jets.

Keep an eye out for him.

Brandon Jacobs from the Giants will vulture about 10 TDs this season.

Buckeye, I think you've got two top-10 backs in LT and Ronnie Brown. Your third back (either Bush or White) will be extremely good as well. Your QBs are extremely solid.

Your wideouts are dicey, though -- your top 2 are both good, but Chambers has been a notoriously slow starter and Housh is still the #2 option on a team with 3 quality wideouts and a somewhat dicey QB situation. Isacc Bruce is on the fade, and Koren Robinson is hitting the bottle again. I'd look to upgrade at wideout if possible.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Brandon Jacobs from the Giants will vulture about 10 TDs this season.

Buckeye, I think you've got two top-10 backs in LT and Ronnie Brown. Your third back (either Bush or White) will be extremely good as well. Your QBs are extremely solid.

Your wideouts are dicey, though -- your top 2 are both good, but Chambers has been a notoriously slow starter and Housh is still the #2 option on a team with 3 quality wideouts and a somewhat dicey QB situation. Isacc Bruce is on the fade, and Koren Robinson is hitting the bottle again. I'd look to upgrade at wideout if possible.
    Unless the commish made an error putting the players in, Eddie Kennison is available at WR. I will be picking him up and dropping Koren Robinson once our waiver wire opens on the 3rd. WR is obviously my weaker spot on my roster. Hopefully White and Bush come out of the gates big, and I can flip White for an upgrade at WR3.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    Matta = Really good

Turn Off Ads?