Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offense? Reds took one of their biggest strengths and made it a glaring weakness

Re: Offense? Reds took one of their biggest strengths and made it a glaring weakness

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman44
    What would you rather see: Our offense struggle to score runs or our bullpen give up the lead in the late innings?
    Good teams do neither
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Offense? Reds took one of their biggest strengths and made it a glaring weakness

What would you rather see: Our offense struggle to score runs or our bullpen give up the lead in the late innings?
    I'd rather win 3-2 than lose 11-10.

....but then again, I'd rather win 11-10 than lose 2-1

OK, I've decided. I'd just rather win 11-2!

(can I have my cake and eat it, too??)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    All year, all freaking year.

.78 points below his ob% last year, he's .38 below his alltime low that came in 1989.

That's killing this team, destroying the heart of the order, more than Aurilia, more then the trade, more then Phillips or Clayton.
    My point is that even if Jr was hitting like last year, we probably still lose at least 4 of the last 5. Yes, he's struggled, but so has the rest of the lineup of late (and the rest of the team for the most part). Not fair to pin this entire slide on Jr. Not saying you are, but he seems to be one of the main whipping boys as the Reds fade out.

People yell to dump Jr's contract because he's 37, but then they still expect him to perform at an allstar level since he's a Red.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Is this all a knee-jerk reaction to a string of bad games? Let us take a look at the month of May during this season. A month in which the REDS were a powerhouse offense team with Felipe at shortstop and Austin in RF.

MAY 2006
    * The REDS play 28 games. They go 12-16.
    * The REDS average only 4.22 runs per game.
    * The REDS score 3 or less runs in 16 games (57.1% of the time).
    * The starting pitching has an ERA of 3.68 in the month... but have a crappy record of 7-14. 14 quality starts... 6-8 record as a team in those games!
    * The entire pitching staff has their lowest ERA for a month since May 2004 at 4.18 (more than 1/2 a run lower than any other month this year!)... but the team goes 12-16.
    * May 12-17. REDS lose 5 in a row. Score 10 runs in those 5 games.
    * May 24-30. REDS lose 5 of 6. Score 8 runs in the 5 losses.

Did the offense get weakened when FeLo and AK were traded? Sure it did. Is it the reason that the team has lost 5 in a row? Definitely not. Do most teams go through a bad week now and then? Most do.

Something else hurting, along w/ the offense, during the last 5 games:
    * Starting pitching: 29.1 IP, 40 H, 19 ER, 5.83 ERA.
    Very good post.

I agree. Slumps are inevitable for every team. Even the mighty White Sox, Yankees and Pujols lead Cards have had slumps.

You can't ignore that the bullpen is much improved. You also have to hand it to Milton for putting together a pretty decent string of quality starts, not to mention while pitching at GABP (the launching pad).

Griffey is hurting this team right now. I don't want him to press.......but he needs to come out of it soon.
    Who's on first?

Let me preface this with I am a Griffey fan...

But why have the Reds management allowed a player's (a future HOF) ego become more important than the success of the team.

Do you think that if Jose Guillen was running this team, and Griffey was slumping like this, he would be batting 3rd? Hell, would he even be in the lineup?

Griffey should be moved to 6th until he can get out of this funk.

Furthermore, in the offseason the reds need to get a Centerfielder and move Griffey to Right. If he doesn't like it, then he can collect his paycheck from the bench.

Griffey is a great player, but his ego is not more important than the success of this team. And the FO needs to stand up to him and show that the club's performance is the most important thing.

Not saying you are, but he seems to be one of the main whipping boys as the Reds fade out.
    Do you have any idea how bad a year he is having? He's essentialy Pena without the the speed. He's killing the team in the middle of the order.

No spin can change that.

but then they still expect him to perform at an allstar level since he's a Red.
    All Star level?

How about league average?

.291 OB%... guys get DFA'd for that.

If Griffey bats 6th then where does Dunn bat, 5th? Because most of Dunn's success in July came from batting in front of Griffey. So if we do that we have a problem in the #3 spot.

1. Freel
    2. Hatteberg
    3. ???? Narron is not moving Ross into #3, plus he doesnt start enough neways
    4. EE or Rich
    5.Dunn
    6. Griff
    7. Ross
    8.Clayton

You could put Phillips as #2 and Hatteberg as #3 but I wouldnt recommend that.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

I'm not convinced that we've solved either of those problems.

Outside of Guardado, none of the recent BP acquisitions have been lights-out. Although performed well working out of the jam last night.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

One play last night really got to me. The Reds were down 3-0 in the bottom of the 8th. EE leads off with a single. Valentin is the next guy up and swings at the first pitch and grounds into a DP. It would have been different if he would have hit a rocket at someone for a double play, but it was a weak grounder to 2nd. If you're going to swing at a first pitch in that situation, you can't get cheated. And Valentin did in that case. Very selfish IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed
    One play last night really got to me. The Reds were down 3-0 in the bottom of the 8th. EE leads off with a single. Valentin is the next guy up and swings at the first pitch and grounds into a DP. It would have been different if he would have hit a rocket at someone for a double play, but it was a weak grounder to 2nd. If you're going to swing at a first pitch in that situation, you can't get cheated. And Valentin did in that case. Very selfish IMO.
    Javy always swings at the first pitch. I dont know if it happened but the dugout should tell him not to swing at the first pitch in that situation because we need baserunners.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    Cuz Aurilia's range is bad at short. I would like Narron to put this lineup out there though one night and see how much better our offense is.

Clayton isn't exactly Omar Vizquel in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Clayton isn't exactly Omar Vizquel in his prime.
    No, but Clayton does have better range than Aurilia by a decent amount. Im by no means sticking up for Clayton though because I would much rather see Castro out there every day.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    No, but Clayton does have better range than Aurilia by a decent amount. Im by no means sticking up for Clayton though because I would much rather see Castro out there every day.
    Clayton's got better range than Castro too, most everyone does. If the Reds want range at SS, then Phillips is the guy most likely to provide. Oddly, he's also the guy most likely to provide offense too.
    Last edited by M2; 08-04-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Do you have any idea how bad a year he is having? He's essentialy Pena without the the speed. He's killing the team in the middle of the order.

No spin can change that..
    What's your purposed batting order?
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    What's your purposed batting order?
    Order schmorder, too many people butt heads on something that only matters once a game. If anything take Griffey out of slot #3.

Shoot I'd bench him and play Freel and Denorfia.

Hey but I'm an idiot I also didn't hate the trade.

Turn Off Ads?