R.I.P
    Joe
    Milfman
    Bernie Carbo
    Basbeall Gal
    who is next?
    woo woo woo, you know it

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man, you are on some kind of banning spree....your not really donald rumsfeld are you?

Two people were banned; if that's a banning spree, so be it.

Boss, I understand why you banned Bernie/Baseball Gal, and I don't blame you. On the other hand, it was pretty entertaining watching him talk himself into a hole. I guess I had stared at the trainwreck long enough anyway, though.

So were Bernie and Baseball Gal the same person or not? I couldn't tell myself.

Censorship at it's finest:

1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Repeated use of edgy language. 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism, etc. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this message board is for. But let's not beat a player or a subject to death, please.
    These rules were not made up just today.

Let me give you a little insight behind the scenes. You may or may not know many of the moderators and administrators get lot's of PM's and email complaints about posters and/or posts, almost daily. We try to handle it through email or PM notifications if there is merit to it. We try to do it in a timely fashion. The moderators and administrators discuss what the poster has done or what the complaint post is. We have let people know that there have been complaints when things could be considered borderline. Sometimes a single word can be misinterpreted. Sometimes people don't realize how their post are being interpreted and are shocked when they realize how they could be interpreted in such a way. If the post is too blantantly bad, we warn people immediately with a post and then ask them to read their PM's or emails, so as to go into further details. Sometimes we make everyone happy, sometimes we make some people happy, sometimes it feels like we don't make anyone happy (the person we are warning thinks we are too hard, the people who complain think we haven't done enough). Sometimes people you really like go over board and you have to enforce the rules. Sometimes people that you never agree with their post, you stick up for.

None of us is making money doing this. This is voluntary. If you don't like this place and think you can do better, by all means, start up your own site. If you get this many people in it, people will start complaining from opposite ends about the board, then you'll understand a little bit better what this place has actually been able to accomplish.

This is a private site. If the administrators decided that one of the rules is you can not use the word "and", then you can either chose not to become a member, or not come back, or follow the rules of the private site. But, don't be surprised if you get warned, then banned if you continue to use the word "and".

The rules are pretty simple. Kind of like "don't pee in the pool". If you don't care if people pee in your pool, then invite the people who want to pee in a pool over to your house.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

i pee in my pool.....shh nobody knows..
    woo woo woo, you know it

Very well put, CQ. As he said, the rules are there for everyone to follow - if you don't follow the rules, despite being warned, as Bernie was, don't be surprised when we have to take action. It's not something we enjoy doing but it is something that's necessary in order to prevent this board from becoming the old cincinnati.com. I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of the regulars here are happy enough with the job we've done since the site launched.

Boss

Cruisin' for trouble
    Originally posted by Boss-Hog
    I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of the regulars here are happy enough with the job we've done since the site launched.

Boss
    THAT deserves an Amen.

Or, in the interest of being PC - here! here!

I agree GoReds. I also disagree with people who proclaim it was "censorship" to ban BernieCarbo. I'm sorry, but there are not many restrictions around here. Basically, keep it clean, stick to the topic, don't beat a player or subject into the ground. Plenty of other people have said things along the line of what Bernie has said, yet they kept it clean, respectful, and only posted it when it was a topic of discussion at the time.

Bernie posted the same thing every single time, regardless of the subject of the thread. He also openly degraded the players he was talking about to a much worse degree than any of the posters who responded to him. I don't understand why, in the case of the people who defended him, it is not okay for westofyou to call him a troll, but it is okay for bernie to call people cans of worms and worthless.

Again, its not like this place has a lot of rules. Bernie broke nearly every one. I agree wholeheartedly with the decision of the mods and thank them for making an effort to avoid a cincy.com slide.

Good Job as usual Boss..........another Amen!!!

A big "hell yea" goes out to Boss and Co.

woo woo woo, you know it

zeke

disgusting

I don't post much but I have been an active reader for several years. One of the reasons I don't post much is because when I do and my opinions don't agree w/ the status quo I have been shot down to the max. I agree with some of what both Bernie and Joe said. I wouldn't put my feelings in exactly the same terms though. I think some of you are very bright people. I love to read Krusty, Jax, Princeton, etc. You get some great insights here and also many times find out breaking news before I find it elsewhere. That's why I keep coming back everyday. But I am pretty disgusted right about now by the feeding frenzy that has developed over the course of this thread. You are behaving like dogs do when one dog gets attacked and then all the others pile on. I don't think banning people is a great policy. Only in extreme cases should this be used. Otherwise people may become reticent to express dissenting opinions and alot of the value of the board would be lost.

Zeke

Re: disgusting

No, zeke...

First off, since this board launched in April of 2000, there have been around 15 people banned. So, in nearly 2 and a half years, 15 different people. Looking at that figure, I'd say that we are pretty conservative about when to ban users - particularly when compared to other boards of our size.

Second of all, if you have indeed been around for a few years, you may remember cincinnati.com. Without some form of moderation, you have a carbon copy of that site happening right here - only worse because the board has grown quite a bit since then. I'd not about censorship, dictatorship, power trips, whatever - it's about running an efficient board where baseball can be discussed without all the garbage.

Boss

Originally posted by zeke
    I don't post much but I have been an active reader for several years. One of the reasons I don't post much is because when I do and my opinions don't agree w/ the status quo I have been shot down to the max. I agree with some of what both Bernie and Joe said. I wouldn't put my feelings in exactly the same terms though. I think some of you are very bright people. I love to read Krusty, Jax, Princeton, etc. You get some great insights here and also many times find out breaking news before I find it elsewhere. That's why I keep coming back everyday. But I am pretty disgusted right about now by the feeding frenzy that has developed over the course of this thread. You are behaving like dogs do when one dog gets attacked and then all the others pile on. I don't think banning people is a great policy. Only in extreme cases should this be used. Otherwise people may become reticent to express dissenting opinions and alot of the value of the board would be lost.

Zeke

I think you are wrong Zeke

With all do respect, if you would re-read all of the person in question's posts, you will find that it was not a dissenting opinion but an attack on certain players in every post.
    In my opinion, this was an extreme case. You make it sound as if every person who dissents is banned. I have disagreed many times with the most active posters and have felt only acceptance for my views.
    I can understand your desire to take up for the little guy, but sometimes the little guy is the problem and not being bullied. That was the case here.

Turn Off Ads?