Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reds need more Hattebergs...

The Reds need more Hattebergs...

His comments on Thursdays game:

"We knew going in what he was capable of doing and what he has [done]," said Reds first baseman Scott Hatteberg, who walked twice against Maddux. "We just didn't make any adjustments."

"He feeds off of aggressive swings and guys struggling," Hatteberg said of Maddux. "He can pick apart a team trying to find itself at the plate. You have to give him a lot of credit. He was sharp tonight. We were not."
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: The Reds need more Hattebergs...

We need more contact bats?

No kidding.

Worth The Wait

You need more Hatte's because he is a A+ for what he's asked to do. Hatte doesn't have immense talent, so you don't expect him to hit 30 HR's and drive in 120. What you want from Hatte is a guy who will work pitchers, draw walks, start rallys, get situational hits, etc.... Hatte almost NEVER gets himself out-- always makes the pitcher work. So yes, if every guy on the team was like Hatte, we'd be in much better shape.

He's an A+ player, IMO.

got alil captain in u?

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    You need more Hatte's because he is a A+ for what he's asked to do. Hatte doesn't have immense talent, so you don't expect him to hit 30 HR's and drive in 120. What you want from Hatte is a guy who will work pitchers, draw walks, start rallys, get situational hits, etc.... Hatte almost NEVER gets himself out-- always makes the pitcher work. So yes, if every guy on the team was like Hatte, we'd be in much better shape.

He's an A+ player, IMO.
    i agree totally im glad krivsky signed him he's the most proffesional hitter on this team

He was asked in June what it would take for this team to stay in the playoff hunt.

His answer was 'mental toughness'. The ability to compete every night, regardless of the circumstances or how tired you were...mentally or physically.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I would love more .400+ obp guys, that is for sure.

Yep. A team of guys with .416 OBP would do quite well.

And considering all of the holes this team has in other places, to think people were complaining that the Reds re-inked Hatte for another year. Talk about removing the speck while ignoring the plank...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I wouldnt say Hatteberg is a guy with a "killer" attitude but he has what this team needs more of.

This team does lack over all killer instinct.

I did a search on Baseball Cube and couldn't find anymore.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Scott Hatteberg: .322/.416/.505, 349 PA, 44 Runs, 10 HR, 35 RBI, 25 2B

Player B: .277/.427/.434, 430 PA, 61 Runs, 8 HR, 65 RBI, 25 2B, 20 SB

Any guesses on who Player B is and how much money he makes? However, the point I really want to make is this:

Hatterberg vR: .337/.430/.527
    Hatterberg vL: .259/.357/.414

Platoons are good! But don't make the mistake of looking the numbers of a guy being platooned and think that merits more playing time (which would inevitably be against the people he's worse against). If Narron was smart, he'd being playing both Aurilia and EE against lefties at first & third.

Anyways, not to derail the thread. Hatteberg certainly seems to be providing the classic veteran leadership that for some reason only gets ascribed to Aurilia...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Scott Hatteberg: .322/.416/.505, 349 PA, 44 Runs, 10 HR, 35 RBI, 25 2B

Player B: .277/.427/.434, 430 PA, 61 Runs, 8 HR, 65 RBI, 25 2B, 20 SB

Any guesses on who Player B is and how much money he makes? However, the point I really want to make is this:

Hatterberg vR: .337/.430/.527
    Hatterberg vL: .259/.357/.414

Platoons are good! But don't make the mistake of looking the numbers of a guy being platooned and think that merits more playing time (which would inevitably be against the people he's worse against). If Narron was smart, he'd being playing both Aurilia and EE against lefties at first & third.

Anyways, not to derail the thread. Hatteberg certainly seems to be providing the classic veteran leadership that for some reason only gets ascribed to Aurilia...
    Good post, Rick.

Player B is Bobby Abreu, and he makes a ton of money! Though FWIW, Abreu's putting together a HOF caliber career; he's just lost some power output this season.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Hatteberg is one of Wayne's most overlooked pickups. I remember the anger when he was first signed, and how a lot of folks were mad we didn't pick up Carlos Pena, and that guy that was the Oakland DH/1b that was in the Felipe Lopez trade (ok, now it's bothering me, I can't remember his name).

Sure Hatteberg is having a career year, but you've got to give Wayne props for realizing the guy would at least be adequate when no other team in baseball apparently did. It's amazing, but the guy probably wouldn't have been given the opportunity to start anywhere if the Reds hadn't called. (Although I'm sure he could've caught on as a bench guy somewhere).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Hatteberg is having a great year, a career year which is highly unlikely to be repeated. Heck the odds of a 36 year old having is best season are slim and none. His career best OPS prior to this year is an .807 in 2002. He had a .677 OPS last year.

Hatty is one of 2 to 3 fluky things that have come together this year to make the Reds competitive.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by VR
    He was asked in June what it would take for this team to stay in the playoff hunt.

His answer was 'mental toughness'. The ability to compete every night, regardless of the circumstances or how tired you were...mentally or physically.
    Wasn't Hatteberg one of the current players who other players named as a player who would make a good manager in the future?

I really respect Hatte's comments. When you have strikeout guys like Dunn (and formerly, Kearns) on the team, hitters like Hatteberg are necessary. I know he is having a particularly outstanding year, but I give Krivsky a lot of credit for signing him up. I am also glad he was re-signed for next year. Even if his production falls off somewhat, he is the kind of player a team can always use.

However, Hatte is a complimentary type player. He can't replace the meat of the order guys. The spotlight now is right on Dunn and Griffey. They have to perform if this team is to go anywhere.

One other point about the offense: David Ross needs to play. He is the best hitting catcher on the team, had a great first half, and now doesn't play enough. The three catcher thing is definitely hurting the offense since none of the guys plays enough to get in a groove and the best hitter of the group, Ross, is on the bench too often.

Turn Off Ads?