Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can I defeat the hackers?

How can I defeat the hackers?

Clearly, someone has access to my PC. My ebay account was hacked for the second time in less than a month, and this time they took over my e-mail account as well. I was able to retrieve my e-mail account, change my password and my security question, but they have somehow managed to hack it again and change my password and security question so that I don't know the answers. This person is pretending to be me, only claiming they are a doctor. They have access to all of my bank and credit card statements via that e-mail account, as well as to all of my family and friends, and I can't get into it to put a stop to it.

It is a hotmail account, but I can't figure out a way to contact hotmail without first needing to login with my e-mail address and password. Any ideas?

I've ran spybot and antivirus everyday, but they still have to be getting my information somehow....I don't get it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How can I defeat the hackers?

I suggest doing the following. First off take the machine offline. Next copy all information you need to keep to cd's. Then reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows. I would also contact Microsoft (hotmail) to let them know that someone is using the account without your permission and to reset the password to something only you would know.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro
    I suggest doing the following. First off take the machine offline. Next copy all information you need to keep to cd's. Then reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows. I would also contact Microsoft (hotmail) to let them know that someone is using the account without your permission and to reset the password to something only you would know.
    I don't have the disks to reinstall windows. I can't figure out a way to contact Microsoft without my e-mail address.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Set up another email account in yahoo or gmail and email them from there.

For the future, because these accounts are internet based, I wouldn't store sensitive information in them.

Actually, I think you could go ahead and log into hotmail and email from there. The hacker already has the account.

I did this TC and here is what he sent to me:

Hi Friend,

I need your help and i would return your pass back to you.

All i need from you is just 400.00 or your credit card info and i would
    return your account back to you.

I am online on jocenten1@yahoo.com send me a IM and we could talk

I think TC meant to microsoft/hotmail from there. Also contact your ISP.

If he has a yahoo addy, report him to yahoo. Notify your bank/credit card companies if you feel he has access. Set up a new account to use, and do not e-mail him from that one.

Savafan- what protection are you using?

ZoneAlarm or anything like that? Additionally are you using any P2P programs (Kazaa, LimeWire).

Which programs do you actively use on your computer? Let me know because I used to hack my way around....

Spybot will not help you. You need Preventative software. As soon as a hacker is (most often) they will mess with your Registry (DOS: RegEdit) and install a tracker.

Registry is your computers brains. It stores all of the functions that your computer does. Having access to this is every hackers dreams.

You can get a new email and such BUT before you do that we need to work on how you will prevent this from happing again. New emails and such will do nothing if the hacker is a bit experienced. He now has your IP and personal identity tokens that will allow him in your comp pretty much anytime he/she wants.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Sava,

Sounds pretty nasty. Your going to have to give a phone call to ebay. I would also call your bank, CC, and all that and let them know what has happened. Most likely your going to have to get new account numbers, and credit cards. I don't know where you live, but if there is an internet crimes division, call the police. You need to report this.

You might have a trojan horse that your anti virus is not detecting. I am sure there is a way to remove it and clean up your hard drive, but the easiest thing to do would be a clean install, as Coffeybro said.

I'll send you a PM.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

If you've been rootkitted, the only solution is a complete wipe and reinstall. you can not longer trust any file on your computer, especially any binary/executable file. Polymorphic root kits are teh suck.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sava, you're being blackmailed, which is a crime. Time to involve law enforcement.
    /r/reds

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

First, I hope you're reading this from a different computer, because you shouldn't go online with the other one until you resolve its problem.

StillFunkyB is right -- this is a crime situation. Notify the police. Notify eBay. Notify your bank and anyone else where you have online account access. Explain your computer has been hacked and possibly your identity stolen. Tell your friends (via phone if possible) that you won't be e-mailing them from that account anymore.

For the future, it's a good idea to:

* Use an e-mail address for online banking/account management that isn't used for anything else.

* Absolutely make sure you have a two-way firewall like ZoneAlarm. It's not enough to stop inbound hacks, you also need to stop programs from "phoning home" if they should happen to get onto your computer.
    Not all who wander are lost

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

rootkits are teh suck.

thanks sony.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Sava, you're being blackmailed, which is a crime. Time to involve law enforcement.
    I kind of agree here. I don't know if you need to 'agree' to pay him the money to get some real info on him you can turn over to authorities or go right to authorities and see what they say, but this is blackmail/extortion whatever you want to call it and its illegal. Big house illegal even.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

This might not even be a virus.
    Have you ever logged onto eBay in any other ways than through your bookmarks, or by typing in eBay?
    Beware of email links to eBay. Many of these are none other than phishing schemes. The same goes for links from other websites to eBbay - especially those needing you to sign in again.
    In fact, this lies true with anysite: Paypal, your bank - whatever site requires log on or personal information. The only time I log onto these sites is from one of my bookmarks, or physically typing in the name of that web address.

However, it could be a virus. My suggestion is this: too much protection is a good thing. I have a firewall (ZoneAlarm), an antivirus (eTrust) and two adware detectors (Spyware Doctor and Ad-Ware) running on my system. Sure, there is a slight lag at times - but the protection is worth it. In addition, I have paid for all of these, but IMHO, the protection you pay for is worth more than that which is free - and the money lost in this payments is far less than the potential money lost from a hacker.

BTW, once you get things settled down, it might not be a bad idea to save that Yahoo email addy he gave you - and perhaps send it over to Yahoo. It does not sounds like the fool has your CC information. Get a new card, too - just in case.
    I hope you get this straightened out - I was in the same boat several years ago, but not as ugly as you have it.

Turn Off Ads?