Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arroyo To Pitch On 3 Days Rest

Arroyo To Pitch On 3 Days Rest

Bronson Arroyo possesses a relief pitcher's mindset and a right arm resilient enough to support it.

"I feel like I can muster up enough to pitch every single night if I have to," the Reds pitcher said.

Eager to halt an eight-start winless streak, and craving a shot at the Cardinals next week, Arroyo successfully lobbied Reds manager Jerry Narron and other team officials to get his next start moved up by a day.

He will start Saturday against the Braves on three days' rest. That puts him on schedule to pitch next Thursday in the four-game series finale against the National League Central-leading Cardinals.

Kyle Lohse, acquired from the Twins on Monday, now will make his first start with the Reds on Sunday.

"It says something about competing, wanting to win and doing everything you can to win," Narron said of Arroyo. "He's always had a real resilient arm, can come back real quick."

Arroyo is 0-4 with a 5.02 ERA over his past eight starts. His last win - his ninth of the season - came against the Mets on June 19 at Shea Stadium.

Arroyo's last start was Tuesday when he threw 110 pitches over six innings against the Dodgers.

"Some guys like the extra rest and they feel good," Arroyo said. "But I have a little bit more of a problem with my command and I never have as good of stuff.

"I'd rather pitch on three days' rest than (four). We'll do it this one time."

Arroyo's only other start on short rest came as a rookie with the Pirates on Aug. 1, 2000. Pitching the nightcap of a doubleheader against the Dodgers at Three Rivers Stadium, he allowed two earned runs on four hits over six innings and received a no-decision.

Aaron Harang will start today against the Braves and is in line to pitch Wednesday's game against the Cardinals.

The right-hander pitched on three days' rest earlier this season. He started against the Marlins on April 19, throwing 85 pitches over four innings, and came back with a 120-pitch, complete-game shutout against the Brewers on April 23 at Miller Park.

"It can affect you down the road," Harang said. "It might not show right away. I think it's because you're so used to a routine that you're kind of throwing your routine off. But it definitely varies pitcher by pitcher."

Arroyo will have the standard four days' rest between Saturday's start and the series finale against the Cardinals.

If there are no further changes to the rotation, Elizardo Ramirez would start the first game against St. Louis on Monday followed by Eric Milton on Tuesday, Harang and Arroyo.

Arroyo is 1-0 with a 3.86 ERA in two starts against St. Louis this season.

A three-game road series against the Phillies and an off day separates the four-game series against the Cardinals next week and a three-game series Aug. 15-17 in St. Louis.

"This is it, man. This is the run to try and win the division," Arroyo said. "Obviously if they beat us two out of three or three out of four, whatever it is for those two series' then we're probably just looking at the wild card. So they're definitely going to be two big series for us."
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo To Pitch On 3 Days Rest

God help us then. He's not the pitcher I thought he was. I think the allstar game messed him up.

Re: Arroyo To Pitch On 3 Days Rest

08-04-2006

Arroyo wins OK to move up a day
    By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

Bronson Arroyo had his reasons lined up when he approached pitching coach Tom Hume during batting practice Wednesday afternoon.

The right-hander wanted to come back on three days' rest and start Saturday afternoon rather than waiting until his regular turn Sunday, and he had three primary objectives in doing so:

First, he thought changing up his routine might help him emerge from a recent stretch of relatively mediocre starts.

Second, he wanted to make sure he faced the St. Louis Cardinals in the Reds' two upcoming series against the division leaders, something he wouldn't have been assured of if he remained on turn.

Third, moving him up would allow Kyle Lohse to slide into the rotation Sunday on a more regular starting routine.

"Haven't won a game in eight starts, so let's mix something up," Arroyo said. "Hopefully I'll feel better on three days' (rest) than four."

Arroyo hasn't picked up a victory since June 19. He threw 109 pitches Tuesday night against the Dodgers, allowing 10 hits and four runs in six innings. No one is terribly concerned with the prospect of putting more strain on the pitcher's arm. In fact, Arroyo said he wishes he could pitch on what is now considered short rest all the time.

"I've been wanting to go to a four-man rotation all year," he said. "I know nobody else wants to do that. A five-man rotation, if you stay on your normal days, is fine for everybody. But the thing is, when you start throwing in all these off days and you go to six, I know some guys like that for rest and they feel good, but I have even more of a problem with my command and I never have as good stuff. I'd rather pitch on three days' rest than five."

Arroyo has worked on three days' rest just once before in his big-league career. That was a long time ago, Aug. 1, 2000 for the Pirates against the Dodgers in the second game of a doubleheader. He allowed two runs in six innings that time, and recalled Thursday that he felt great on the mound.

"Usually when you're out there playing catch, a lot of pitchers will tell you the day before their start, 'Wow, my arm feels really good, I wish I could pitch today,'" said Arroyo. "So we'll see what happens."

Manager Jerry Narron said he had no objections to the plan when Arroyo came to him Wednesday.

"Not one bit," said Narron. "Not when the pitcher comes to you saying, 'I feel great and I really want to do this.' If it would have been me going to him, it's different."

Narron was especially pleased that Arroyo wanted to make sure he got the ball against the Cardinals. With the new alignment, Arroyo will start the finale of the homestand next Thursday. He likely will also start the opener of the Reds' series at Busch Stadium on Aug. 15.

The fact that the upcoming series represent the Reds' final games this year against the team they're chasing in the division was not lost on Arroyo.

"This is it if we're trying to win the division," he said. "Obviously, if they beat us two out of three or three out of four, whatever it is, in those two series, then we're probably just looking at the wild card. It's definitely going to be two big series for us."
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....608040318/1027
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?