Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jones on Waiver Wire

Jones on Waiver Wire

Surprised Jones put on waivers

By GUY CURTRIGHT
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/04/06

Pittsburgh The nonwaiver trade deadline passed Monday, but that doesn't mean some big-name players still couldn't be dealt.

Braves center fielder Andruw Jones, whom the Braves had discussed in a possible trade with the Red Sox, was placed on the waiver list Tuesday.

Jones is one of hundreds of players to be put on the waiver list the past few days. Although the move might have been routine, he was caught by surprise when he learned of the latest development.

"I didn't know," Jones said after the Braves' 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh on Thursday. "I'm not sure I even know what it means."

Teams put the names of numerous players on the waiver wire. Some are there to test trade interest. Others are there just as a smoke screen. Potential deals can be blocked by other teams.

Claims are put in by order of the worst records, and a team can withdraw a player if claimed. Some teams eventually put all their players on waivers, although only seven can go on per day.

A player has three days to clear waivers.

"It is all supposed to be confidential, and teams can be reprimanded for making names public," Braves general manager John Schuerholz said. "I've never commented on waivers, and I never will. It is not fair to the teams and the players."

The Braves are one of the teams that normally flood the waiver wire. There is more trade talk this year, however, because of the brief talks the Braves had about Jones with the Boston Red Sox just before the deadline.

The slugger and Gold Glove winner can become a free agent after the 2007 season and gains the right to veto a trade in mid-August as a player with 10 years in the majors and at least five with the same team.

Jones has spent his whole career with the Braves, but will be expensive to re-sign when his contract expires. His agent is Scott Boras.

"I want to stay in Atlanta, of course," Jones said. "I don't want to move, especially during the season.

"I'll have to call my agent and see what he knows. I'm sure the talk is all because of my contract situation."

Stan Kasten, a former president of the Braves and now president of the Washington Nationals, speaking in general terms, said putting a player on waivers does not necessarily signal that a team wants to deal him.

"It may mean something, and it may mean nothing at all," he said, adding that teams often put a large number of players on waivers at the same time "to camouflage it if there's one guy you really want to trade."

Once a player clears waivers, he can be traded even though the July 31 deadline has passed. "If you don't get waivers, then you have no ability to make a trade even if the opportunity comes up," Kasten said.

Staff writer Tim Tucker contributed to this report.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Jones on Waiver Wire

I wouldn't make a lot of it, I seriously doubt he'll clear waivers in the first place, and even if he does, they probably wouldn't get enough in other waiver players to even merit trading him.

Its not unheard of that an entire roster is put on waivers.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

RotoHester

Buston Onley reporting that a team put in a claim on Andruw and the Braves and said team are discussing a trade. Not that it is a definite, but they are discussing the move.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

[dream]I want to wake up Saturday morning to see the Reds have traded for Andruw Jones with the intentions of making him a RF for the rest of the season, then platooning Griffey at 1B next season with Hatteberg, moving Jones to CF.

Of course, for all the complaining about Griffey's zone rating, Andruw Jones' ZR hasn't been all that great the last few years.
    [/dream]

OK, reality says the Reds don't have a prayer of a chance.

RotoHester

Maybe it's the Reds Maybe they're going to give the Braves a couple of our new bullpen arms plus Deno and Griff has agreed to move to RF to welcome Andruw to center......... awww, dreams are fun

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed
    I believe he would have to go all the way through the National League teams first and then through all the AL teams with records worse than the Angels. That seems like a long road.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

08/04/2006

Players on waivers usually routine
    It's not always indicative of who's on the trading block
    By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

Andruw Jones is not necessarily available -- most players are placed on waivers to conceal a team's true intentions. (Bill Boyce/AP)

ATLANTA -- There really wasn't reason for Andruw Jones to act surprised when informed on Thursday that the Braves had placed him on the waiver wire. This isn't the first time he's been there and it's no secret that a large percentage of Major Leaguers are put on waivers by their respective clubs during the first few days of August.
    Word that Jones had been placed on the waiver wire was treated as big news in Atlanta on Thursday and Friday. Had the Gold Glove center fielder's name not been included in a number of trade rumors, including one that had him going to the Red Sox, earlier this week, this realization may not have created much of a stir.

According to a high-ranking Braves official, this is a simple procedural process that teams go through on an annual basis. In other words, a multitude of players, ranging from a veteran like John Smoltz to a role player like Matt Diaz, will be placed on waivers to gauge interest from other teams.

If Jones (either Andruw or Chipper), were the only player placed on the waiver wire by the Braves, then all other teams would know exactly who the Braves were looking to move. By placing many, or, in some instances, every member of their 25-man roster on waivers, a team can at least keep their intentions masked.

But there are at least some reasons to believe the Braves are interested in trading Andruw Jones. When he becomes a 10-and-5 player (10 years of Major League service time and 5 consecutive seasons in the same organization) in mid-August, the eight-time Gold Glove center fielder will have the right to reject potential trades.

Jones will become a free agent at the end of the 2007 season and with Scott Boras as his agent, he may demand a salary much steeper than the Braves are willing to offer. They already have Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson locked into large salaries through the 2009 season and both Jeff Francoeur and Brian McCann will soon become arbitration-eligible players.

Andruw Jones' salary ($13 million this season and $13.5 for the 2007 season) wouldn't scare too many big-budgeted teams away, thus there's certainly a chance he could be moved this month. But he's made it known his primary desire is to stay in Atlanta.

"I got my house [in Atlanta]," Jones said. "My wife's family is here. So why not stay in Atlanta? I don't have control on that."

In two weeks, Jones will have some control with his right to veto any potential trades. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Braves feel they must move their prized outfielder.

Here is a look at how a trade can be completed via the waiver wire process:

In most instances, teams place a large number of their players on waivers and still never follow through with a trade. But through this process, they can at least gauge interest and see if there are sensible and available trade options that would allow them to fill a present need or relieve themselves of a high-salaried player.

With the passing of Monday's trade deadline, all teams must now pass players through waivers before trading them.

Beginning Tuesday, all teams were permitted to place as many as seven players per day on the waiver wire. Thus by Friday, many teams will have already put members of their 25-man roster on waivers.

Multiple teams can claim a player who has been placed on waivers. If two teams were to claim a specific player, the lower-ranking team according to winning percentage (whether it be an American or National League team), is given rights to that player for 48 hours.

If the Astros and Red Sox were to both put a claim on Andruw Jones, the Astros would have that 48-hour period to discuss a trade with the Braves. If nothing materialized, Jones would remain with the Braves.

All players remain on the waiver wire for two full business days. If they are never claimed, they can be traded at any point, to any team for the remainder of the season. But to be eligible for the postseason, a player must be traded by Aug. 31.

If a player is claimed by a team and a deal never materializes, a team will not likely place them back on waivers. When they initially place a player on waivers, a team has the right to pull them back at any time.

But when a player is placed on waivers a second time, the claim is irrevocable. Thus any claiming team owns the rights and a trade must be completed.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp
    [dream]I want to wake up Saturday morning to see the Reds have traded for Andruw Jones with the intentions of making him a RF for the rest of the season,
    Brutus, that must be a dream, b/c in reality, why in the world would Jones in in RF?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    But when a player is placed on waivers a second time, the claim is irrevocable. Thus any claiming team owns the rights and a trade must be completed.
    I understand that whole process, are there additional stipulations on concessions the team that waived the player must make in that trade? I only ask because if a trade must be completed and the claiming team knows that, I could see stall tactics from the player's current team, or just honest disagreements about what would make a trade both were relatively happy with.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp
    [dream]I want to wake up Saturday morning to see the Reds have traded for Andruw Jones with the intentions of making him a RF for the rest of the season, then platooning Griffey at 1B next season with Hatteberg, moving Jones to CF.
    Both Griffey and Hatteberg bat left, which leads to an unusual platoon.

Turn Off Ads?