Turn Off Ads?

Thread: So much for LaRue going to Boston, Sox get Lopez

So much for LaRue going to Boston, Sox get Lopez

Red Sox make big catch, acquire Orioles' Lopez
    Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- Javy Lopez was traded from the Baltimore Orioles to Boston on Friday, a deal that gives the former All-Star another chance to play and provides the Red Sox a replacement for injured catcher Jason Varitek.

The Orioles sent Lopez and cash to the Red Sox for a player to be named.

Varitek had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Thursday and was expected to immediately begin rehabilitation. The Red Sox have not given an indication of when their captain might return.

The Red Sox lead the wild-care race and are competing with New York for the AL East title. The Orioles are out of contention, and didn't have much need for Lopez because Ramon Hernandez is their starting catcher and Jay Gibbons serves as the designated hitter.

Lopez hoped to be dealt before the non-waiver trade deadline Monday. He then passed through waivers before being traded to Boston.

At 35, Lopez is in the final season of a $22.5 million, three-year contract he signed as a free agent with the Orioles in December 2003. He got that deal after hitting .328 with 43 home runs and 109 RBI for Atlanta, his third All-Star season for the Braves.

Lopez is hitting .265 with eight home runs and 31 RBI in 279 at-bats. He has caught in only 21 of the Orioles' 109 games as a backup to Ramon Hernandez.

"I've got no position on this team. I don't see why they really need me," Lopez said this week. "I'm not meant to play once a week. ... I cannot be happy in this situation. They probably have their plan, and I don't think they're going to keep me like this until the end of the season. They're probably going to do something sooner or later."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So much for LaRue going to Boston, Sox get Lopez

I think it's surprising the Yankees didn't block this deal. They could certainly take on the rest of his contract and have him set on the bench just to keep him out of Boston.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    I think it's surprising the Yankees didn't block this deal. They could certainly take on the rest of his contract and have him set on the bench just to keep him out of Boston.
    I am very surprised about that as well and with the O's dealing within the division although they are out of it for the most part this season and Lopez will be a FA at the end of the season, although I truly believe that the Red Sox just stole one there.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Think about it, though. The Red Sox are taking on however much money Lopez is still owed for the remainer of the season. Lopez hasn't caught that many games this year because he's quite frankly not very good defensively. If you are the Yankees why not allow the Sox to claim Lopez? He's a catcher. It's better than allowing them to acquire a very good, but way-overpaid starting pitcher, or a really good hitter for their bench, or a really good reliever. I doubt Lopez does much damage for the Red Sox. The Yankees are betting the same. Let them spend their money on an aged catcher that has struggled offensively this year. Better than spending that same money for a player at another position that could really hurt you.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The Yankees have been ahead of the Red Sox in the standings since Aug 1, and assuming the Red Sox claimed Lopez, the Yankees could not have blocked it.

Right. Also, the Red Sox are paying about half of Lopez's remaining salary in exchange for a PTBNL.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Maybe LaRue was blocked from going to Boston by another team?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Maybe LaRue was blocked from going to Boston by another team?
    I'd be very surprised if anyone claimed him with him still being under contract for $5+ million next year. But, Mirabelli seems to have sprained his ankle last night, so there's still hope. Keep an eye out for the possible Red Sox debut of Corky Miller, because that looks nearly inevitable right now.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    I'd be very surprised if anyone claimed him with him still being under contract for $5+ million next year. But, Mirabelli seems to have sprained his ankle last night, so there's still hope. Keep an eye out for the possible Red Sox debut of Corky Miller, because that looks nearly inevitable right now.

I dont understand why nobody likes Ken Huckaby. im surprised the sox dont like him that much either. he is obviously better than Corky Miller and a vet of the major leagues. also when he went to apologize to Jeter for the shoulder incident, it showed how big a baby jeter can be.

i've been a fan of Huckaby ever since lol

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    I dont understand why nobody likes Ken Huckaby. im surprised the sox dont like him that much either.
    They like him enough that they will re-sign him once he clears waivers, and would prefer him as a backup to Corky. They just got stuck in an awkward position with roster spots.

Turn Off Ads?