Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Do You Think Claimed Andruw Jones???

Re: Who Do You Think Claimed???

word out here that it is the Angels who are in talks with Atlanta. Stoneman caught a lot of flak for not adding a bat at the deadline and is making up for it now with talk of sending Ervin Santana and cash for jones

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    I bet a lot of money that it's not the Reds.

Although, it would be convenient logistically if we did pick him up since they are in town and all.....

Oh, to dream...
    i hope your dream is true, Jones on Reds tomorrow would be SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    word out here that it is the Angels who are in talks with Atlanta. Stoneman caught a lot of flak for not adding a bat at the deadline and is making up for it now with talk of sending Ervin Santana and cash for jones

Kennedy is gettng benched, izturis to second, figgins to 3b and jones in center.

just heard it on the radio

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I doubt Milwaukee is in the picture. I believe they said he makes something like $13 million a year.
    Oh, I was just throwing that out there as an example.

The Angels makes sense, though.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Whitesox
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    Santana would never make it through waivers.

Personally, I think the team that claimed him is the Houston Astros....they are always looking for offense, and barely gained any at the deadline (Huff).

I don't think that Jones could go all the way through the NL waivers without getting picked up by a Houston or St. Louis team that needs outfield production desperately....

As for the Ervin Santana for Jones trade, it would be tough for that to happen because Santana would have to pass through the whole American league without getting claimed.....a young ace like him has almost no chance at that......that's why the non-waiver deadline is such a big story.....trades like this are almost impossible to do....

Most of the time you'll see trades like the Todd Jones for prospects a few years ago...
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

I think the player coming back to the Braves has to clear also.
    Didnt Jim Bowden claim Mariano Duncan to break up a waiver deal?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Exactly.

After doing some more reading on the waiver claim orders, the bit I saw the other day was probably wrong -- instead of the July 31 standings, the claim order for a player appears to be based on the standings at the time he was placed on waivers. And that same source said it's now like the draft where the AL and NL teams are mixed together; Jones would no longer have to pass through NL waivers before AL clubs could put in a claim.

If that's the case, then a deal like that could happen if Jones was claimed by the Angels and Santana was claimed by the Braves. With the Angels around .500 and the Braves below that, it's at least theoretically possible.

But the team has to make a decision to keep, trade or cut loose a claimed player pretty quickly, so any Jones trade will be done very soon or it won't happen at all.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Re: Who Do You Think Claimed Andruw Jones???

Yankees. They're going to claim everyone off waivers so they can have a whole second team of starters sitting on the bench and so Steinbrenner can have his payroll go over 500 million.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    actually you are right. i heard the broadcast wrong. they were talking about pre trade deadline deals and I thought they were still talking about the waiver wire.

my mistake.

Re: Who Do You Think Claimed Andruw Jones???

Santana would not make it through. This is why you always see the said player get dealt for P(s)TBNL, and later is usually after the season so that the player cannot be claimed. That would be risky on Atl.'s part due to the fact that Santana is likely going to continue to pitch for the Halo's. Of course the Angels have a surplus of young players, do minor league players have to clear waivers?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?