Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Freel a Gold Glove Outfielder???

Is Freel a Gold Glove Outfielder???

After tonights grab, I say yes...he is a strong candidate provided he plays a full season. Abreu was last year's winner and is gone now. Also the GG relies so much upon reputation *coughEdmondscough* and Freel has quite the "webgem" reputation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Freel a Gold Glove Outfielder???

He is a gold glove utility player. I just don't think his value would ever be maximized playing one position...

Abreu wasn't even close to deserving of that Gold Glove. According to the rankings compiled in The Fielding Bible, he was 28th among qualifying right fielders. Owch.

And no, I doubt Freel is gold glove quality. He does seem to have a lot of range for a corner OF, though.

And I did mean to say provided he plays RF a full season...just FYI.

How many games could Ryan Freel play in the outfield before he would have to be fitted with a body cast?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    How many games could Ryan Freel play in the outfield before he would have to be fitted with a body cast?
    I say let's find out.

Freel might not be a real Gold Glover type at any position he plays, but he's good enough at any of them to be a real option. And yes, that includes Center Field and Second Base should the Reds ever actually commit to defense rather than just give lip service.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Freel takes out grandmothers for his team

That's gold glove.
    Go Gators!

Gold glove, and I hope an iron head after seeing him hit that wall last night. He moved the front row along the RF wall back about 6 inches!

And while the earlier play was spectacular, I don't think he used very good judgment on the last play. I mean, he's chasing/tracking a well hit flyball, and runs full steam into the wall, while not even coming close to making the play.

Why not play back an take the ball on a hop in that particular situation?

I love the guy. I wish more players on this team played the game like him. But he doesn't always use sound judgment.

If he had dropped that earlier ball (which was foul), what would people be saying?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Freel doesn't have enough RBI's and Extra Base Hits to win the Gold Glove.

Gold glove, and I hope an iron head after seeing him hit that wall last night.
    Based on the number of "you know's" in Ryan's "star of the game" interview, I'd say the iron head part of that equation is a definate yes.

I kid, I kid.

He did, however, utter at least 55 "you know's" in the SOTG with the Bad Boy. My father and I got laughing so hard that we may have missed a few more.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Do you know what gold is going for now? And how about copper, have you seen how much it's gone up?

Quote Originally Posted by 37red
    Do you know what gold is going for now? And how about copper, have you seen how much it's gone up?
    Boo-yah.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    should the Reds ever actually commit to defense rather than just give lip service
    Be careful what you wish for. A true commitment to defense -- which I define as proven and current ability to play the position well, not "maybe he'd be better over here" or "he'll get better, we think" or "he used to be good" or "he hits enough to make up for it" -- would mean sacking some guys whose bats I'd like to keep around.

But yes, I know what you were implying and I agree.
    Not all who wander are lost

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I thought Freel was one of the dumbest baseball players ever...

Turn Off Ads?