Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only person that finds it hard to like Rich Aurilia?

Am I the only person that finds it hard to like Rich Aurilia?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- Playing every day lately has been quite becoming for infielder Rich Aurilia's offensive production for the Reds.
    Aurilia entered Friday batting .339 (20-for-59) with three homers and seven RBIs since the All-Star break, while playing 17 of the last 19 games. His on-base-plus slugging percentage was a robust .985. In the first half, he batted .267 with an .807 OPS.

Most of the 34-year-old's plate appearances have come while playing regularly at third base and batting fourth. Because Edwin Encarnacion was a fixture at the spot, Aurilia saw a reduced amount of playing time in the first half. But his solid glove created increased playing time in place of the more error-prone Encarnacion.

"I'm a guy that's used to playing every day," Aurilia said. "Ask any hitter -- it's hard to get on a roll when you're not playing consistently. Earlier in the year, I was just playing against lefties. Then I started playing against some really tough righties. Then I started playing against everybody. When you play consistently, you have a chance to find your comfort zone. I think that has a lot to do with it."

Playing mostly one position might have benefited Aurilia as well. He had hits in 20 of 23 games since July 1, but was 0-for-3 as the Reds notched only two hits in Thursday's 3-0 loss to the Dodgers.

"Does it help knowing you're going to be in there at one spot? Yeah," Aurilia said. "Because anytime you play a lot and can come in and not have to look at the lineup and know where you'll be, mentally that takes a little off your mind. We don't have the luxury around here to do that. We have a lot of different lineups and a lot of different guys playing."
    Incidentally, Friday marked Reds manager Jerry Narron's 94th different lineup used in 109 games this season.

Still, Aurilia had gotten so used to being at third base lately that he was surprised when he found out Thursday he was the starting second baseman as Brandon Phillips was rested.

It was only Aurilia's second start at second base this season, his first since April 15.

"It's weird," Aurilia said. "Because the other day, I was thinking, 'I don't know if anybody remembers that I played shortstop for 10 years and 70 games at second base last year, because I hadn't played there in a while.' I showed up yesterday and I was at second."

On Friday, with left-hander Chuck James pitching for Atlanta, Aurilia started at first base for lefty hitter Scott Hatteberg. Lately, Narron has been seeking chances to boost the offense by having both Aurilia and Encarnacion in the lineup.

"It helps that I've been in pennant races before and played through times like this," Aurilia said. "To me, it shows more that I move around. They trust me to play anywhere and I have confidence to play anywhere."
    Without a doubt he has been producing, but could him and Edwin be any more different? Last year when he didn't play everyday he whined and was a cancer in the clubhouse. Now he makes excuses for his poor hitting at the beginning of the year on not playing everyday. Meanwhile, Edwin just says he would like to be in the lineup everyday, but he'll be ready for whatever is asked of him and as long as the team wins he is happy.

Now yes I am one of the biggest Edwin homers around, but still the 2 guys are complete opposites.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Am I the only person that finds it hard to like Rich Aurilia?

RA is a Vet & EE is a Rook thats the way it is in baseball.RA has
    more say right or wrong.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

Aurilia is never going to like it if he's not playing. Encarnacion really has no say, if he complains - he knows he has options left.

That said, Aurilia has been solid this year and he deserves at bats. But by all means - start Encarnacion and put in a defensive replacement for him late in the game, his stick is needed w/o Kearns/Lopez is in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    Aurilia is never going to like it if he's not playing. Encarnacion really has no say, if he complains - he knows he has options left.

That said, Aurilia has been solid this year and he deserves at bats. But by all means - start Encarnacion and put in a defensive replacement for him late in the game, his stick is needed w/o Kearns/Lopez is in the lineup.
    Exactly! What would be so wrong with using him and his bat for the 1st 7 or 8innings and putting Castro in late? Wasn't Castro brough here to be a defensive replacement?

Like tonight Edwin gets the go ahead 2 rbi double in the 6th, then in the 8th Castro comes in and plays defense for him.

You're looking too much into his words, trying to find the attitude of a greedy, selfish player. What he said is all true for anyone. The more you play the easier it is to get into a groove. He never blamed a poor start on playing time (did he even have a poor start?), he just said that he kept proving himself against lefties and then righties and eventually he became an everyday player.

Rich has done a fantastic job.

But I'm with reds44. Look at what Joe Randa said last year: the man was completely clear about the fact that Edwin was the future at third base.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    Aurilia is never going to like it if he's not playing.
    But no player likes it when they are not starting. Any player that does, or carries an attitude of indifference, I don't want on the roster to begin with.

Encarnacion really has no say, if he complains - he knows he has options left.
    I doubt very much that that is on EE's mind. From what I have read, he seems to be carrying a very positive attitude. He continues to work hard and makes the most of the opportunities given him.

I think this whole situation has been way overblown far more by the fans then anyone else.

If we falter in this second half, for the most part, it will be due to the pitching, which while improved, is still in the bottom tier overall in MLB.

If you find it hard to like Rich Aurilia, remember.... it's not his fault that he is getting playing time. He doesn't make out the roster or batting order.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

No you're not.

I'm glad when he does well and helps the Reds, but stuff like this and last year is why I won't be sad to see him become a former Red one of these days.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Rich has done a fantastic job.

But I'm with reds44. Look at what Joe Randa said last year: the man was completely clear about the fact that Edwin was the future at third base.
    And where has Aurilia said anything about the subject, or that EE isn't?

Again - it's not RA's fault that he's getting the playing time. And if people think he is getting the playing time because of the fear he'll complain or throw a temper tantrum, then they are misguided IMO.

Maybe Narron wouldn't do anything about it, but if any player started causing trouble in that clubhouse, then I don't think Castellini/Krivsky would put up with it. Especially an Aurilia, who makes 1.3 Mil, with a mutual option for 2 Mil next year. He'd be gone in a heartbeat.

People like to site RA's sub .700 OPS vs righties. And it is nothing to brag about. So why don't we go down this roster and emphasize/pick apart the "holes" in some of the other starter's performance. Because we could.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Last year when he didn't play everyday he whined and was a cancer in the clubhouse. Now he makes excuses for his poor hitting at the beginning of the year on not playing everyday.
    Now yes I am one of the biggest Edwin homers around, but still the 2 guys are complete opposites.
    And reds44 - you're reading into... and trying to make too much out of this article as far as I'm concerned.

I have no problem at all with your support for EE. But you are allowing your "prejudices" to somewhat skewer your thinking on this Aurilia situation as far as I'm concerned.

Did he complain last year? Yes he did. But nowhere was it reported, by his teammates or anyone else, that he was a "cancer" in the clubhouse. That is your assertion.

And this is 2006 - get over it, and quit drudging this stuff up.

People are getting a little tired of this Aurilia-Encarnacion situation on here.

It is beating a subject too death as far as many are concerned.

There is far more to this ballclub, and greater problems that need addressing.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-05-2006 at 04:57 AM.

Like tonight Edwin gets the go ahead 2 rbi double in the 6th, then in the 8th Castro comes in and plays defense for him.
    Yes, he did hit a go ahead 2 RBI double, and it was nice. But he also allowed a runner (some call it giving up outs which is a bad thing I hear) due to a throwing error. That error resulted in an additional run so his 2RBI is only 1RBI total.

I don't say that to bash the kid but lets be objective about his performance.

There is far more to this ballclub, and greater problems that need addressing.
    Exactly, it's all window dressing compared to handling the pitching staff and Jr's continued slide. Figuring out how to deal with those effectivley are far more serrious issues.

Now yes I am one of the biggest Edwin homers around
    And the award for "most obvious statement of the year" award goes to.......
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

And most on the gamethread were complaining about it too, when Castro came in.... saying how it was gonna destroy EE's confidence - especially after the hit/RBI they replace him.

And yet who made a spectacular play to start the game ending DP? Would EE have made that play? Possibly. But on a similar play earlier he didn't.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-05-2006 at 06:49 AM.

And most on the gamethread were complaining about it too, when Castro came in.... saying how it was gonna destroy EE's confidence - especially after the hit/RBI they replace him.
    Is that the same Castro who had an RBI? And played a role in the game ending DP?

So if we are keeping score thats 2 RBI's and a throwing error that resulted in giving up an additional run for EE. And a RBI and a solid defenseive play for that ageing, horrible, scrappy vet.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-05-2006 at 07:56 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I don't care if I personally like Reds players. I want the Reds to have players that win baseball games, period. Leave frivolity for who we invite to backyard BBQs.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

"I'm a guy that's used to playing every day," Aurilia said. "Ask any hitter -- it's hard to get on a roll when you're not playing consistently. Earlier in the year, I was just playing against lefties. Then I started playing against some really tough righties. Then I started playing against everybody. When you play consistently, you have a chance to find your comfort zone. I think that has a lot to do with it."

Playing mostly one position might have benefited Aurilia as well. He had hits in 20 of 23 games since July 1, but was 0-for-3 as the Reds notched only two hits in Thursday's 3-0 loss to the Dodgers.

"Does it help knowing you're going to be in there at one spot? Yeah," Aurilia said. "Because anytime you play a lot and can come in and not have to look at the lineup and know where you'll be, mentally that takes a little off your mind. We don't have the luxury around here to do that. We have a lot of different lineups and a lot of different guys playing."
    Maybe Aurilia and Griffey are right about playing everyday and hitting in the same spot in the order, that it helps a player, I recall Kearns saying the same thing. Maybe Narron should give it a try and see how it goes for the rest of his starting eight. Apparently Aurilia can still play some second base, so that should make matters easier for Narron to put his best eight on the field. Griffey an all century player knows quite a bit about hitting, his record would show that he knows more than Narron knows about hitting.

Freel Rf
    Phillips ss
    Dunn Lf
    Griffey Cf
    Encarcion 3b
    Ross C
    Aurilia 2b
    Hattiberg 1b
    Pitcher

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Freel Rf
    Phillips ss
    Dunn Lf
    Griffey Cf
    Encarcion 3b
    Ross C
    Aurilia 2b
    Hattiberg 1b
    Pitcher
    Why have our best OBA guy (and 2nd best OPS guy) hitting 8th?

Turn Off Ads?