Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castro everyday at short

Castro everyday at short

Why not give a Castro more of a shot of playing more then just the late innings. His bat has been strong since coming back to the reds and we all know that "manos de oro" can pick it anywhere he plays. I am a firm believer that if Aurilla or EE are playing 3b we need Castro as SS to help take away balls in the hole and solidify the left side of the infield, since we all know Clayton has no range. I think that Castro could produce more offensively then Clayton, with more power and adds a much better glove to the equation.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Castro everyday at short

Are we sure that Castro has more range than Clayton? There seems to be some disagreement on the board about that. No question Castro has great hands; whatever he can get to is usually a sure out.

Castro's range factor at SS is much lower than Clayton's, for every year but last year, and for his career as well:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/castrju01.shtml
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/claytro01.shtml

Castro can't play more at SS because Clayton has to play in an effort to help justify trading Kearns & FeLo.

Narron covers Krivsky's rear-end by playing Clayton as much as he does.

Thru Friday August 4, Gary Majewski's stats since coming to Cincy include a 10.12 ERA and a 2.50 WHIP. Yikes!!!

Perhaps Majewski can get hot allowing Clayton to sit a bit more? Castro is the steadier hand. Bad throws and bad playmaking would be very infrequent if Castro were handling the position.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 08-05-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Thats why you move Phillips to short,Rich to second,and let Edwin play everyday at 3rd.

Thats putting quite a bit on the shoulders of Phillips. Dont you think your asking a lot of someone to ask him to switch positions in the middle of a playoff race?

I agree........... Did you all see the double play he started last night to end the game! I cannot quote feilding stats but from watching him play he sure looks like he is quite an upgrade over Clayton. OTOH, from watching Clayton (lack of range, errors, blowing bubbles, etc.) I simply cannot buy the "defensive upgrade" (over FeLo) sales pitch............... Not to beat a dead horse but I sure miss him at SS.

Hasn't Phillips been a ss before though? I thought he's had some hystery at ss.I'm just trying to figure out a way to get Edwin in the lineup every night since they seem to want to play Rich every night too.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Thats putting quite a bit on the shoulders of Phillips. Dont you think your asking a lot of someone to ask him to switch positions in the middle of a playoff race?
    I think he's definitely talented enough. He also has that relaxed, care-free personality which I think would allow him to make the transition without putting too much pressure on himself. He's played alot of games at SS in the minors. And I think he would make the switch if Narron asked him. Phillips seems to be a team player and I think he would love the challenge of moving to SS. It's the most important position on the field and he's our best fielder, I think it's a perfect match.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. Phillips is a great fielder and I think he could play there. The only way Edwin will get better is if he's playing every night.

I have no doubt that I think Phillips can play SS, I just think it would really be tough in the middle of a season. I think Phillips will be the SS next season, I just dont think it would be real easy for anyone to make that kind of chance mid season.

Yeah I understand what you mean about a position change now,but what just a thought. I figured we'd better the club that way.

Yeah if Phillips could make the switch without trouble the team would benefit I think a great deal, I just fear he would have some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Yeah if Phillips could make the switch without trouble the team would benefit I think a great deal, I just fear he would have some trouble.
    He might have some trouble, but what if he didn't? Why not try it for a game? If it doesn't work, send him back to 2nd and wait until next year. If it does work, try it for another game. Then another. If he can go a few games without making an error and looks good, I think he could stay there for the remainder of the year. I say give it a shot, you don't know until you try it.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Yeah why not try it a few games here and there and see what happens. You never know what could happen. If they want to have Rich's bat in the lineup every night then they could have it,plus Edwin's every night as well.

I just want to point out that while Clayton was far from exceptional last night he did have a nice over the shoulder catch (on a similar play Marcus Giles dove and landed about 5 feet from the ball) and he did hit a much needed 2-run homer. I despise Clayton as much as everyone else on this board, but he seems to be getting the Redszone Whipping Boy treatment and very little benefit of the doubt around here. Just saying.

Turn Off Ads?