Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Watched an impressive young pitcher last night

Watched an impressive young pitcher last night

Went to the Charlotte Knights/Rochester Red Wings game last night and came away very impressed with Rochester's young pitcher, Matt Garza. The kid (6'4" and 195lbs out of Fresno State) had a great game against the first place Charlotte team. Pitched 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 walk and 11 strikeouts. Fastball was hitting 95-96 early and still hitting 94 in the 7th inning on a very hot night. Excellent control with a real sharp, biting curveball and pretty good change. Fastball seemed to be exploding late on the Charlotte hitters. Real impressive for only his 3rd game in AAA. Was the Twins 1st pick, 25th overall in the '05 draft. Liked him a lot.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Watched an impressive young pitcher last night

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Went to the Charlotte Knights/Rochester Red Wings game last night and came away very impressed with Rochester's young pitcher, Matt Garza. The kid (6'4" and 195lbs out of Fresno State) had a great game against the first place Charlotte team. Pitched 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 walk and 11 strikeouts. Fastball was hitting 95-96 early and still hitting 94 in the 7th inning on a very hot night. Excellent control with a real sharp, biting curveball and pretty good change. Fastball seemed to be exploding late on the Charlotte hitters. Real impressive for only his 3rd game in AAA. Was the Twins 1st pick, 25th overall in the '05 draft. Liked him a lot.
    I believe I saw a blurb about this kid in this week's SI.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Thanks Randy. I hear that the Twins are reluctant to bring him up because he "relies on his fastball too much."

Do you buy that? I've never seen him pitch.

I can understand that they're worried about him being another Rich Hill of the Cubs (who gets behind hitters in the count in the major leagues, while AAA hitters whiff at his first pitch out of the zone), but it seems from his stats alone that he'd be a big improvement over the Twins #5 starter-du-jour. And they're in a pennant race.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

It was a hot, humid night in Charlotte, chili, and he used his curveball a lot on 1 strike counts, and it really was breaking sharp and down. He then was just blowing people away with the fastball, which was "electric" last night. He had the velocity and movement last night to do that. I don't know if he throws it that well all the time. Looks to me like he needs to work a little more on the changeup to be really successful at the big league level, but based on one performance, he has better stuff than a lot of guys that I see pitching at the big league level. Sometimes, I think that scouts and gm's get too hung up on the "relies on fastball too much theory." Sometimes better to rely on a good fastball than a couple of pitches that are average or below average, which we see a lot of.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Thx Randy.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Garza is a VERY good prospect. One of the top pitchers in minor league baseball right now.

Turn Off Ads?