Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP - flash and substance

BP - flash and substance

Brandon Phillips sure can look awful at times. I know he's criticized for not taking a ton of walks. Heck, when he's not taking walks and he's in one of those funks, he sure can be frustrating.

But when he's hitting, this kid is one of the better second basemen in the entire league. He's got excellent bat speed, he really drives the bat head through the zone and he hits to all fields when he's at his best.

In the streak of recently criticized moves by Wayne Krivsky on this forum, let's not forget how great an acquisition Brandon Phillips has been.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: BP - flash and substance

Brandon Phillips may have been the biggest steal in baseball.

The Reds gave up virtually nothing and got a cornerstone for the present and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp
    In the streak of recently criticized moves by Wayne Krivsky on this forum, let's not forget how great an acquisition Brandon Phillips has been.
    A streak? I would consider it a constant barrage.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Funny how people on this board whine about Phillips' play. Even with a sub par July the guy still kept his avg close to .290 through the first week of AUGUST!! Not May, Not the 1st week of June, but AUGUST!!! Guess what folks. Sometimes big leaguers have bad stretches.... I know that may seem shocking but even Pete Rose and Tony Gwynn had some bad times.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I know he is too old to be a big leaguer anymore but we can put Ken Griffey Junior on that list too.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

His name is B-Phil.

TC, I agree wholeheartedly.

I will say though, Phillips' highs and lows are pretty dramatic. His lows are pretty low, but his highs are very, very high.

As you mentioned, his numbers for the entire season that he's been plenty more good than bad. His OPS dictates he's only a moderate second basemen, but he has the ability to carry a team when he's hitting well and with his speed and energy, he brings so much to the team.

I just laugh now the BP couldn't play in Cleveland because of Ronnie Belliard, who's now with the Cardinals. And now who does Cleveland have? That makes me smile...plus the fact that we got him for a bag of baseballs.

Not to compare at all but that trade may look as bad as the Twins giving up on David Ortiz.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

I like the pop in his bat. Especially for a SS which is hopefully where he will be playing next season.

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11
    I just laugh now the BP couldn't play in Cleveland because of Ronnie Belliard, who's now with the Cardinals. And now who does Cleveland have? That makes me smile...plus the fact that we got him for a bag of baseballs.

Not to compare at all but that trade may look as bad as the Twins giving up on David Ortiz.
    I guess technically the Expos-Indians trade looks pretty ugly in hindsight, too. Phillips, Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, and Lee Stevens to Cleveland for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew...

Ops

" His OPS dictates he's only a moderate second basemen "

Naw. His TOTAL package of OPS + gold glove defense + speed make comparing his OPS to other second basemen less meaningful

- Will

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    His name is B-Phil.

B Phil Da Thrill
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I will say though, Phillips' highs and lows are pretty dramatic. His lows are pretty low, but his highs are very, very high.

As you mentioned, his numbers for the entire season that he's been plenty more good than bad. His OPS dictates he's only a moderate second basemen, but he has the ability to carry a team when he's hitting well and with his speed and energy, he brings so much to the team.
    I am a frim believer in the more success you have the more experience you have to draw on when it gets tough. His numbers will continue to improve. I like the fact that you never see him not hustling. Ever.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

And here is the nice thing. As he continues to mature and improve, those lows should begin to be shorter and not quite so low. And when he moves back to SS, he will be even more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11

Eligible for arbitration, David was set for a pay raise from $900,000 to more than $2 million. Minnesota GM Terry Ryan shopped David around at the winter meetings, but found no takers. The Twins released him in December

The Twins indeed kicked themselves but so did many other major league teams.

Turn Off Ads?