Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Claussen rehab 8/5/06

Claussen rehab 8/5/06

Tonight against the Mudhens, Brandon Claussen pitched 5 and 2/3 innings, gave up 6 runs, 9 hits, 3 walks, and got 4 Ks. He threw 92 pitches and 61 strikes.

His overall ERA in Louisville is 8.34. Bats down 6-0 after 6 innings.

Maybe Lohse was a better choice to start tomorrow....we shall see.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Claussen rehab 8/5/06

He's got to be still hurting. This isn't the same Claussen we saw last season. I thought I read this was his last rehab start before they had to promote him, DFA him, or put him on the disabled list. Am I correct?

If so, hopefully they can get him an extension on the DL, because I don't think Lohse is the answer in the rotation.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I would hope he says he is still hurt otherwise, it will be a big DFA for him

Before he had tommy john surgery he was consistently able to hit 94 with the Yankees. Post- TJ he was around 90-91 with the Reds. From all indications his velocity in triple a is down even more. Shut him down and hope he regains his strength. If not, Homer Bailey will be more than ready next year.

Yea, shutting him down may be the only option right now. I'd be surprised if someone wouldn't pick him up if he was DFA'd.

They can continue rehab for the rest of the month then he can come up in September and ride the bench, no reason to DFA him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    Before he had tommy john surgery he was consistently able to hit 94 with the Yankees. Post- TJ he was around 90-91 with the Reds. From all indications his velocity in triple a is down even more. Shut him down and hope he regains his strength. If not, Homer Bailey will be more than ready next year.
    They absolutely have to reexamine him for any further injury and then shut him down the year. I think Claussen still has an upside and I'd hate to lose that on a roster squeeze. If they're shutting him down, they could even put him on the 60 day which frees up a 40 man roster spot until next season (I think that's right).

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

If he never sees a reds uniform again, it won't break my heart...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    They absolutely have to reexamine him for any further injury and then shut him down the year. I think Claussen still has an upside and I'd hate to lose that on a roster squeeze. If they're shutting him down, they could even put him on the 60 day which frees up a 40 man roster spot until next season (I think that's right).
    Who takes that spot? Some 20 year old kid in AA...?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanatic
    This is not correct. Unforunately his velocity indicates he is healthy.

This from the Reds website 7-26-06:

Working quickly throughout the night, Claussen relied on a fastball that ranged between 87 and 91 mph most of the night. His fastest pitch hit 92 on the radar gun, and his off-speed stuff was between 76 and 85 mph.
    His rehab is up as of Tues so they do have to make a decision. No way he should be pitching for the big club in a pennant race.

Well, my opinions on Claussen differ I guess. I think he can play a valuable role to the club in the last month. He is better than Lohse.

Turn Off Ads?