Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Every Day Eddie hurting?

Every Day Eddie hurting?

From Sunday's Enquirer:

"FOREARM WOES: A stiff left forearm prevented Reds closer Eddie Guardado from pitching the ninth inning in Saturday's 8-6 win.

The left-hander saved his seventh game by pitching a scoreless ninth inning Friday and will be re-evaluated today.

Bill Bray filled in Saturday and got his second save since being traded to the Reds July 13."

Hope he is ok!
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Every Day Eddie hurting?

This is not a good sign. This is the second time in the last couple of weeks he was unable to pitch. Hopefully, it's just a precautionary move and he'll be fine, but it seems eerily similar to what we've already seen this year from our elderly relievers.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bill Bray is becoming a nice second option if Guardado can't answer the bell.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

It happens to every team.

Other guys will need to step up, like they did yesterday.

Thankfully the revamped bullpen is in much better shape to survive an injury or two.

Merker is just about ready to come off the DL as well. And from what I've heard, he has looked sharp.

The Reds are going to have some tough decisions to make. An injury to someone would make the decision for them.

Let's see if Bray can close if Eddie can't go. I think that is why we really got him in the first place.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Bring on Bill Bray!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    This is not a good sign. This is the second time in the last couple of weeks he was unable to pitch. Hopefully, it's just a precautionary move and he'll be fine, but it seems eerily similar to what we've already seen this year from our elderly relievers.
    I don't know. I'll take 7-7 in save situations and a day off. I think Bray got the last save when Eddie sat down too, didn't he? Obviously I'd hate for this to be a long term thing, but lets nurse him through the season's end and hopefully the post-season.

He'll be hurting for the rest of his career, and I doubt he will be able to go back to back days anymore.

Bray is a nice backup plan though and a good guy to have.

I sure as hell don't like being shorthanded for several games at a time--not in middle of a pennant race. Let's hope Mercker can get back up here and we can put No More Eddie on the DL where he belongs obviously.

Man, I can't stand when a team "plays it careful" and leaves their roster shorthanded.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Doc told me earlier that he is available today for the 9th if he's needed.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    He'll be hurting for the rest of his career, and I doubt he will be able to go back to back days anymore.

Bray is a nice backup plan though and a good guy to have.
    Agreed. Even as "Every Other Day" Eddie, he and Bray will be a better option than the "closer crapshoot" of May and June that preceded them.

Hopefully he is okay. He's been a stud as the closer and you'd like to not have to wait till the 9th to use Bray. Bray has been sharp in the later innings and far more reliable than any other pitcher.

I think if Bray would have given up a run we would have seen him.With Eddie's intensity it would seem you would have to cut his legs off to keep him from pitching.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    "Every Other Day" Eddie

LOL- I like it, and if he can do what he has done every other day, then I agree it's better than what we had.

Can he be stopped?

After todays performance, it sure looks like standridge is going back down. Walked 2 straight batters for the second consecutive appearance. And this ump had a big K zone.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

No, this ump has a totally inconsistent strike zone. He's all over the place, he wouldn't know a strike if he were standing in a picket line.

Turn Off Ads?