Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homer Bailey misses start with no explanation...

Re: Homer Bailey misses start with no explanation...

I wonder why he was pushed back? His last start was 8/1. Today is 8/6. Chattanoogan paper had him scheduled for today as recently as last night. Oh well, if he is scheduled to pitch Tuesday, then its good news.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Blisters?

Here's 1 theory. The Reds will need a #5 starter to start at home in the Pittsburgh weekend series (Saturday August 19th would be the #5 slot assuming they use the off day perviously in the week to skip the #5 starter (Lohse?)) If Homer would have pitched on Sunday and taken his normal 4 days of rest, Homer would have been schedule to pitch in the minors around the 16th or 17th of August, then would presumably not be available to pitch the 19th for the Reds.

Perhaps, and I do say perhaps cause I'm obviously throwing stuff at the wall and hoping that it sticks, the Reds pushed back Homer's start to give him a little an extra day's rest, allow him to make 2 more starts in the minors, then plan to bring him up on the 19th to pitch at home vs Pittsburgh. This move was obviously made prior to Sunday's game and the fact that there was no mention of it in the papers or during the broadcast tells me there is not an injury factor (even if its just blisters). They obviously had little reason to believe Lohse could hold down the #5 slot, and there might still be something wrong w/ Claussen.

I'm thinking they wanted to give Lohse a couple of starts in the #5 slot to see what he could do, would ideally like to have Homer make his Reds Debut at home against a team not competing for anything. Unless Lohse puts up another solid start, perhaps his start was moved to give Homer a little more rest and get his schedule more in line for a August 19th call up.

Or perhaps he just had a blister that nobody has reported and they want to get it healed up.

Fuel for thought

Turn Off Ads?