Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What should be done with Denorfia?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Send him back to AAA!

40 34.19%
  • Keep him as the 4th Outfielder

63 53.85%
  • Start him in right and leave him there. (or somewhere else in the outfield)

14 11.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should the Reds do with Denorfia?

What should the Reds do with Denorfia?

He's pretty good defensively. But he can't hit major league pitching at this point in time. Should the Reds continue to play him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What should the Reds do with Denorfia?

My take is that he can't play any of the corner outfield positions that well. He isn't understanding how the dimensions work when a ball is hit sharply in the corner, and a few times this year a double has turned into a triple b/c he isn't in the right place to field it off the wall.

Teams now know to play him shallow (take last bat today for example) b/c he just doesn't have any pop at all and a ground ball out to short is likely. I thought he may have had it was when he was called up, but maybe he is just struck w/ the Brandon Larson Syndrome, Minor League calibur player only...

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm kind of torn at this point. He looks like he's struggling a bit and he is only going to get better at the major league level by hitting major league pitching regularly. The problem with that, for me at least, is that we are in the race for both the division and or the wildcard. So I think they're going to have to make a shrewd decision on how to play it. Sending him down to AAA in the middle of the race isn't going to do anything but hurt his confidence, so I think we should keep him on the bench for some situational AB's and a few starts here and there, then let him take his real lumps next year.

He looks lost to me. I'd send him down, period.

Problem is.........we have no other quality OF's other than Freel.

Weird season. Bring up Bruce. (just kidding)

I think the club needs to keep him here as the fourth outfielder to see what he can do with the rest of the season and then they can re-evalute his role in the organization after the season. Honestly he has nothing left to prove at AAA and he's getting to the age where he can no longer be considered a prospect. Maybe he turns out to be an AAAA type player like Brandon Larson but I just don't see the point of sending him down to Louisville given the lack of viable replacements his spot.
    Last edited by nmculbreth; 08-06-2006 at 09:41 PM.

He is kind of the Castro of the outfield, might need him as a replacement in an emergency, don't really need his bat if the other guys and bullpen do their jobs.

I say keep him as the 4th outfielder. Dunn in left, JR in center, and Kear.....I mean Freel in right.

Keep him, he has nothing to left to do in AAA and it's way too early to say he can't hit MLB pitching.
    Go Gators!

How quickly the mighty Deno has fallen.

A contingent here has fought tooth and nail for EE to be in the linup no matter what. That he should have playing time to figure out the complexities of throwing a ball to 1B.

Will Deno be afforded the same fervant protection?

Quote Originally Posted by jocross
    My take is that he can't play any of the corner outfield positions that well. He isn't understanding how the dimensions work when a ball is hit sharply in the corner, and a few times this year a double has turned into a triple b/c he isn't in the right place to field it off the wall.
    A very formiddable baseball magazine (BA) listed him as the best outfielder in AAA this year. Maybe he is just struggling all over? Hopefully he gets comfortable soon.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    How quickly the mighty Deno has fallen.

A contingent here has fought tooth and nail for EE to be in the linup no matter what. That he should have playing time to figure out the complexities of throwing a ball to 1B.

I think people stuck/stick up for EE because his bat makes up for his defensive gaffes. If Deno isn't hitting, there isn't a whole lot he can do to make up for it.

There have been players this season who have been given more opportunity than this guy has been given. We have struggled to watch White, Burns (twice!), Clayton and the immortal Dave Williams for longer than him.

As a 4th outfielder, he isn't that bad. Good mitt and the hitting will (or should) come. What's wrong with putting him in CF in the 8th for Griffey when the game is out of hand? Double switches and pinch running are a big part of the NL, and the Lord knows how much we could use a pinch runner now and again.

I really thought they could have gotten some value for him at the deadline, to a KC or Florida especially. They had to make a decision on him sooner or later and it didn't seem like this guy is in the plans, no matter what the FO says.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    There have been players this season who have been given more opportunity than this guy has been given. We have struggled to watch White, Burns (twice!), Clayton and the immortal Dave Williams for longer than him.

As a 4th outfielder, he isn't that bad. Good mitt and the hitting will (or should) come. What's wrong with putting him in CF in the 8th for Griffey when the game is out of hand? Double switches and pinch running are a big part of the NL, and the Lord knows how much we could use a pinch runner now and again.

I really thought they could have gotten some value for him at the deadline, to a KC or Florida especially. They had to make a decision on him sooner or later and it didn't seem like this guy is in the plans, no matter what the FO says.
    I was told earlier this week that someone was trying to surpress the memory of Dave Williams.

I am trying to do the same. Please refrain from speaking his name, as we try to forget.

Ok, joking aside, I think this is one where Krivs bit the bullet. He traded Ross, which at the time wasn't a really big deal. So now, I think you have to stick with Deno, as there really is no other option right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner

I don't think so as he was tossed into the leadoff position before he was even allowed to get familiar with major league pitching or to make adjustments at this level. It would have been nice if the Reds would have given him a generous amount of at bats lower in the batting order to see if he could hit major league pitching with some consistency before tossing him to the wolves at leadoff. They almost set him up to fail. Swim or drown situation for Deno.

They got Wise through waivers and have him at AAA now. It might be best for the team and Denorfia if they switch them. Wise might have a little more experience and have more to give the big team in a race right now. Denorfia could get his feet back on the ground and be ready to come out and win a spot next spring.

Turn Off Ads?