Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who's the Greatest Golfer Ever to Play the Game?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tiger Woods

44 61.97%
  • Jack Nicklaus

22 30.99%
  • Other

5 7.04%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger vs. Jack

Re: Tiger vs. Jack

I know today doesn't change the debate but Tiger is simply unreal. He's embarassing the rest of the golfers out there, and there are some great ones.

I did read one interesting tidbit today. Tiger has won his 12 majors by a total of 56 strokes. Nicklaus won his 18 by a total of 44.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

The thing about Tiger is that he always closes. Every time he has been in the lead after 54 he has won. You can talk about his competition or the technology or whatever but he wins it every time. And it is the mental game that puts him head and shoulders above his peers and most of the great ones of the past. Lefty is no worse of a ball striker than Tiger but he does not have the drive that Tiger does. He kind of has the Danny Graves mentality (not to mention his body). If he wins, great. If not, oh well.

Now, that said, Tiger has never come from behind to win a major. That is not criticism but just something interesting to talk about. Nicklaus and Palmer were famous for their charges. Palmer was legendary for coming from way behind to win the 1960 Open at Cherry Hills. I think it is only a matter of time before Tiger comes from behind to win a major but he has not done it yet. You think he would because of the fear he puts into the other players. You have to think they are shaking in their shoes if Tiger is coming from behind in a tournament.

One has to wonder what Tiger would have done this year if his dad had not been ill or had passed away early in the year. Not to take anything away from Tiger but he won the two easiest majors. I will grant you the British Open can be difficult especially for American players but if you have decent conditions on the right course, it is not that great of a challenge. Lefty won the Masters and should have won the Open except for that massive brain fart. But that is what seperates Tiger from Lefty. Tiger never would have screwed up like that. It may not have even come to that.

I was not blessed enough to see Hogan or Palmer in their primes. I have been blessed enough to see Tiger and Jack in their primes. If you are a golf fan, feel very fortunate that you are seeing one of the best ever in his prime.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Now, that said, Tiger has never come from behind to win a major. That is not criticism but just something interesting to talk about. Nicklaus and Palmer were famous for their charges. Palmer was legendary for coming from way behind to win the 1960 Open at Cherry Hills. I think it is only a matter of time before Tiger comes from behind to win a major but he has not done it yet. You think he would because of the fear he puts into the other players. You have to think they are shaking in their shoes if Tiger is coming from behind in a tournament.
    That's an interesting point and one they were talking about on the Golf Channel last night. I thought Nobilo made a great point that if you look at tthe sheer number of majors he's won, now 12, that's a very high number to have won to begin with to think that his not having come from behind means anything. He also said that it's because he's in the lead so much, which is true. Tiger manages his tournaments to be within range after round 1, to be close after round 2, and make a charge in round 3 to play int he last group. He makes his charges on Saturday. His Saturday charges are legendary. That's his strategy and it works. I don't think it takes anything away at all that he's never come from behind. He's won so many to make that point moot. If he was behind Nickalus' pace, I would agree with that critique (that some, not Chip, are making). But he puts so much emphasis on Saturday, and he's so good at accomplishing what he wants to accomplish, that he never seems to put himself in a position to NEED to come from behind.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Retired

If you are a golf fan, feel very fortunate that you are seeing one of the best ever in his prime.
    You can say that again, 12-0 when going into the final round of a major as leader or co-leader, simply unreal. I even blew off going out with the woman today to stay home and watch his final round.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I even blew off going out with the woman today to stay home and watch his final round.
    Making the ultimate sacrifice, eh?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I voted for Jack, but there is no question that Tiger may become the greatest golfer of all time. In my opinion, they are the best by a large margin.

As far as equipment goes, I have played the old persimmon woods, blade irons and balata balls as well as the great new technology of today. I do know that the technology has made a tremendous difference in my game, and has made the game much easier for me. The thing that I see for players of today as opposed to earlier generations is that they don't have to hit all the shots. It is much easier for these guys to hit driver and short iron than it is to hit driver and long iron on a par 4. That in itself makes the game so much easier.
    They don't HAVE to hit all the shots, but the greats still can. And the technology is even for everyone on the tour. Tiger still beats them all. Because of the technology, Tigers scoring records are meaningless, but his propensity to win and dominate is far from it. Technology can't touch that. The depth of the tour fantastic and Tiger still scares all but two guys, DiMarco and Bob May. They're the only guys never to wilt to Tiger.

He makes it look easy. Donald knew they only way to beat Tiger was to hit amazing shot after amazing shot. Tiger knew it, too. Donald just isn't that good.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Retired

Making the ultimate sacrifice, eh?
    It was nice and yap free for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    I think the biggest difference between them is the relative strength of their competition. Jack Nicklaus dominated an extremely talented generation of golfers, while Tiger dominates a group that has only a few who are close to his level.
    much higher level of competition today as golf is no longer a game dominated by American. It is a global game with great golfers coming from all parts of the world. In Jacks day the depth of talent was much less than today with golf having become such a global sport.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    They don't HAVE to hit all the shots, but the greats still can. And the technology is even for everyone on the tour. Tiger still beats them all. Because of the technology, Tigers scoring records are meaningless, but his propensity to win and dominate is far from it. Technology can't touch that. The depth of the tour fantastic and Tiger still scares all but two guys, DiMarco and Bob May. They're the only guys never to wilt to Tiger.

He makes it look easy. Donald knew they only way to beat Tiger was to hit amazing shot after amazing shot. Tiger knew it, too. Donald just isn't that good.
    Can't disagree that they can hit the shots, but, it is much easier to hit PW-7 into greens, consistently, than it is to hit 6-FW woods.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Can't disagree that they can hit the shots, but, it is much easier to hit PW-7 into greens, consistently, than it is to hit 6-FW woods.
    which is what makes Tiger special. He hits the long irons better than his adversaries. That's why he has been able to win the last two majors and has hardly used his driver. At the British and somewhat at Medinah he had a lot of long irons into the greens. His new swing with Haney has really taken his long iron play to an unreal level.

While technology has helped Tiger, it has probably helped him a lot less than the majority of his competition. Tiger would have been successful in any era, as well as Jack.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

While technology has helped Tiger, it has probably helped him a lot less than the majority of his competition. Tiger would have been successful in any era, as well as Jack.
    if it was solely technology that made it easy to control the long irons then everyone would hit them well.

I think it's a stretch to claim that Nike's clubs are better than the major golf equipment companies - and that makes it all the more impressive.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

My dad told me a story about playing in a Pro-am 20 years or so ago. He said the conversation turned to Nicklaus and why he was so good.

The pro said," Sure Nicklaus hits it further than anyone else, but that's not why he wins. There are four big reasons he wins all the big tournaments..."

1.He works harder than anyone else

2. He's a better course manager than anyone else

3. Everyone knows he's better than them

4. He knows everyone knows he's better than them.

I think this applies to Tiger as well.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I find it very unlikely than Tiger's success is attributible to superior technology or equipment. It is uncommon that any individual is able to so completely dominate his/her field in any profession, athletic or otherwise.

Other than watching Bonds during his bulked up brilliance, I've never gotten the feeling that any one person was so far removed from the rest. Truly remarkable.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?