Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who's the Greatest Golfer Ever to Play the Game?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tiger Woods

44 61.97%
  • Jack Nicklaus

22 30.99%
  • Other

5 7.04%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Tiger vs. Jack

Re: Tiger vs. Jack

This isn't football. You can't play better golf by acting all macho and thumping your chest.

You have to stay frosty. "Cool mad" is what Sam Snead used to call it. The nerves of a cat burgler. Not wild eyed fanaticism.

Anyone who doesn't think they care because they're not frothing at the mouth doesn't get it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Absolutely.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Our futility in the Ryder Cup is social/cultural biproduct.

We don't grow up on this side of the pond playing match play. We're all about stroke play over here. Over on that side of the pond, match play is the norm, starting at young ages. You want to change future outcomes of Ryder Cups? Institute match play at the HS and College level. Instead of stroke play tournaments, which hardly mean a damn thing to kids ages 14-22, make them actually play against each other heads up. It's not about par, it's about beating your guy to help your team, a concept that has been lost on the American team for far too long.

Jones
    Nelson
    Hogan
    Palmer
    Nicklaus
    Hagan
    Woods

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    It's not about them being expected to win, it's about my opinion that they really don't care about the Ryder Cup.

And until the players themselves actually show me otherwise by their actions, I'll feel that way.

The Euros go into the Ryder Cup with a "We HAVE to win" attitude, while the Americans go into it with a "I hope we win" attitude. Phil Mickelson's body language told me all I need to know.

What did Chris DiMarco's body language tell you? What did it tell you when Furyk yelped walking off 16 on Sunday after his eagle?

What did it tell you when Cink kicked the crap out of Sergio?

What did Zach Johnson tell you? What did Scott Verplank tell you?

Fill me, when did Phil Mickleson's body language speak for the entire US squad?

Highlifeman, I agree. Not enough match play in the US. Match play is a lot of fun and we should use it more in the United States, at all levels. It also teaches you more about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post

Highlifeman, I agree. Not enough match play in the US. Match play is a lot of fun and we should use it more in the United States, at all levels. It also teaches you more about the game.
    It's not match play that is our problem so much as it is the four-ball and alternate shot formats.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    This isn't football. You can't play better golf by acting all macho and thumping your chest.

You have to stay frosty. "Cool mad" is what Sam Snead used to call it. The nerves of a cat burgler. Not wild eyed fanaticism.

Anyone who doesn't think they care because they're not frothing at the mouth doesn't get it.
    It's not about that.

The Europeans are not twice as good a team as the Americans, yet they won 18.5 to 9.5. Getting beat that soundly tells me that they weren't mentally prepared to play the event.

How much can you truly care if you do not prepare yourself like you should?

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    It's not about that.

The Europeans are not twice as good a team as the Americans, yet they won 18.5 to 9.5. Getting beat that soundly tells me that they weren't mentally prepared to play the event.

How much can you truly care if you do not prepare yourself like you should?
    What should they have done differently to prepare, Coach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Not enough "hands in" huddles and chants before the matches. Not enought chalk talks. Not enough "kill drills" at the end of the practice rounds. You know Chip, all that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Not enough "hands in" huddles and chants before the matches. Not enought chalk talks. Not enough "kill drills" at the end of the practice rounds. You know Chip, all that kind of stuff.
    Lehman should have had them go to the first tee and had them each run to the 200 yd. marker and back to the tee box then run to the 150 yd. marker and back to the tee box then run to the 100 yd. marker and back to the tee box then from the tee box to the hole and back.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It's not match play that is our problem so much as it is the four-ball and alternate shot formats.
    Silly me, I thought those were match play events.

Maybe they should have got some tips from Gene Rayburn before they traveled across the pond.

My bad. That was the Match Game, not Match Play. Sorry. Got confused. Charles Nelson Reilly sounds like a good golf name.

The PGA clearly needs to bring in Ryan Freel for some scrapitude instructions for this bunch of lollygaggers.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?