Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What..no discusion on Lohse's performance?

What..no discusion on Lohse's performance?

He's not the savior, but man that wasn't a bad performance. After the 2 runs in the 1st he really settled down and finished with 7k's. If it wasn't for one bad pitch to A.Jones he might not have given up any runs. It was a nice surprise considering nearly all fans thought he was going to give 5, 6 or more runs. At least most of the remaining NL teams haven't seen him.

One last thing. Here's to hoping Krivsky landed another gem in Lohse.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: What..no discusion on Lohse's performance?

There's been discussion in the Predict his stats thread and the "Missed the game" thread, but I'll give my $0.02 here as well.

He impressed me, but given my expectations going in, take that for what it's worth. But seriously, he was pretty good. Only one mistake pitch, a slider that didn't slide to A. Jones. He seemed to have pretty good command of his stuff(which was pretty darn good), but the strike zone was also generous with this ump. I'm going to give him a few more starts before I make a judgement, but so far he looks good, especially considering our other options for a back of the rotation guy.

He's going to have to work to build his stamina back up after being in the pen so long while with the Twins, but giving 5-6 solid innings a start is just fine for me in his current role. I think the change of scenery will do him a lot of good this year; the announcer on TBS made a good point, a lot of guys who change teams midseason after struggling usually feel like they have something to prove, so hopefully he continues to prove all the doubters wrong. From what I've seen so far though, it bolsters my confidence even more in Wayne's scouting abilities.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 08-07-2006 at 01:28 AM.

I made it out to the game today and two things come strongly to mind.

1) I was very impressed/cautiously surprised at Lohse's performance. You aren't expecting greatness out of your #5 and boy oh boy would we all take a repeat of today's outing every 5th game for the rest of the season.

2) Complete mystification at why Gary M. was left in to finish the 8th. As if the 2 run triple was not enough (3rd straight hit). I know we weren't brimming with bullpen options at that current time but you cannot just let the game get away that late and that's whay Jerry did by leaving him in.

Yeah I was very happy to see him only give up 2 runs.

Hopefully Cincinnati gave him that 'change' he needed to get back on track.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Thing is... Kyle Lohse has always had good stuff. He's got a sharp breaking ball and a pretty good slider when he can control it.

He can get the ball into the lower to mid 90's, but the command and not having a 'power arm' so to speak has gotten him in trouble. I don't have high expectations for Kyle, but I've always been a fan of his 'stuff' and I really think he's still got a chance to be a decent 4th or 5th starter.

I agree though, he looked good today with the exception of the one pitch to Jones.

"So Fla Red"

Impressed with his stuff against a pretty pesky and annoying Braves team. Big league stuff for sure, so let's hope we found something here. If we can get that kind of production out of the #5 slot I'll take it everytime out.

Shame this game was lost.

Looked nice, but like people would have said if he'd been shelled, it was only one game.
    Go Gators!

At least he managed to give the Reds something that Joe Mays didn't.. A number 5 starter giving them a chance to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Looked nice, but like people would have said if he'd been shelled, it was only one game.
    It was a good start, one bad pitch, and I'm hopeful he can continue like this. We need some folks to stand up and help nail some wins down.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by jpurdy974
    At least he managed to give the Reds something that Joe Mays didn't.. A number 5 starter giving them a chance to win the game.
    Joe Mays, 1st start as a REDS player
    * June 21 @ NY Mets (best record in NL)
    >> 6IP, 8H, 2ER, 5K, 2BB, quality start.
    >> REDS win 6-5.
    >> Hammond gives up 3ER to blow a save for Mays.

Out of fairness... Mays had a better 1st start for the REDS than Lohse and earned a QS (Lohse didn't).

Let's remember the "Mays story" ("We all know his story", says George) before we get too excited about Lohse. Hopefully it works out for him and the REDS!

I watched the Mays v. Mets game; and I watched yesterday's game. Nothing Lohse did reminded me of Mays dodging bullets for six innings. He gave up a 2-run HR to Jones (nothing that a pitcher should hang his head for) and basically outpitched Smoltz. He got tired in the 5th, but this guy was in the Twins bullpen for the last month or so. He'll stretch it out.

I'm not saying that Kyle's going to win the Cy Young, or even be anything more than a servicable 5th starter. But he's got decent enough stuff that I'm not tossing him in the Jimmy Haynes/Joe Mays junkyard.

I was pleasantly surprised in Lohse. Of course, I don't know if he can maintain this, but if he gives us a quality start most of the time, this will go down as another great move by Wayne.

Let's hope he can get stretched out soon. I assume he only went 5+ IP because he's been pitching out of the pen for Minn.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Lohse's movement and location of sinker and breaking ball reminded me of Cory Lidle's -- on one of Cory's good days.

Except that I don't recall Lidle having a changeup that good. That's the pitch that kept the Braves off balance, even if he did finish off the hitter with one of his other pitches. He better than just a thrower.

Can he be stopped?

Loshe did benefit form the wide strike zone provided by the home plate ump... a strike zone that the TBS announcers noted "shrunk considerably" after Smoltz and Loshe left. But Smoltz had that same strike zone to work with and let up 4 ER over 6. So I'll say good job by Loshe. I'm excited to see his next start, so we can start deciding if this was a fluke or another example of the benefits of moving from the AL to the NL.

(btw... if I was a pitcher on a bad AL team, I would take a trade to the NL every single time)

I hope he gets another start. He did fine. Hopefully he can go longer, so Majewski doesn't have to come in.

Turn Off Ads?