Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loshe To Start Again?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Loshe To Start Again?

Cincinnati.com/Cincinnati Enquirer:

Pitcher earns another start
    Allows just 2 runs over five innings
    BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Kyle Lohse leaned on experience to curb any nerves Sunday.

The Reds almost certainly will lean on him again Friday as their fifth starting pitcher.

"I sure would think he'd go back out there in five days," Cincinnati manager Jerry Narron said. "He knows what he's doing. He's a pretty experienced guy and he's got pretty good stuff."

The Reds acquired the 27-year-old from the Twins last week and, after one appearance out of the Reds bullpen on Tuesday, he allowed a two-run home run by Braves center fielder Andruw Jones in the first inning Sunday and not much else.

"Lohse has got a chance to really help us," Narron said. "I was very pleased. I think all of us were pleased with the way he threw after not having a start for a while."

In what was his first major-league start since May 16 in Detroit, Lohse allowed two runs on four hits over five innings.

The right-hander also struck out seven without walking a batter.

"I'll just go out there and try to keep doing my job," Lohse said.

After allowing the home run with two outs in the first inning, he retired eight consecutive and 13 of the next 14 he faced.

"I was very impressed," Reds catcher David Ross said. "He had good command of the fastball down. He hit his spots a lot.

"The only spots he really missed were the home run ... and the pitch to (Braves third baseman Willy Aybar) to start off the sixth inning."

In eight starts with Minnesota this season, Lohse was 2-4 with an 8.92 ERA. After being sent to Triple-A Rochester on May 17 he went 2-1 with a 1.50 ERA in four starts there - Lohse returned to Minnesota and was used out of the bullpen thereafter.

On Sunday he threw 58 of 84 pitches for strikes.

It was Lohse's highest pitch count in a major-league game since he threw 110 in a start against the Rangers on May 10.

"I felt close today, but the heat, the weather wasn't really working with me there," Lohse said. "Next start I'll be able to keep going up (with my pitch count). We'll just see how it goes."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Loshe To Start Again?

The only mistake was to A. Jones. Only allowing 4 hits over 5 isn't to shabby and he gave the Reds a chance to win by not imploading after the homerun. I look foward to his next start against the Phillies.

His movement and location of sinker and breaking ball reminded me of Cory Lidle's -- on one of Cory's good days. Except that I don't recall Lidle having a changeup that good. That's the pitch that kept the Braves off balance, even if he did finish off the hitter with one of his other pitches. He better than just a thrower.

He absolutely 100% deserves at least another start.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

He earned the second start. Lets see if he earns a third...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Agreed...

Yes, why not? He had a good outing....more than Joe Mays could say.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Hey, as long as he pitches like yesterday, why not? Beats running Mays or Claussen out there. At least let him start until he shows he can't.

i agree 100%. he pitched better out of the pen when the twins brought him back up. he may be turning the corner and deserves another start. i'll take sunday's outing everytime out.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I am as skeptical about him as the next person, but nothing yesterday indicated he should not get the ball again. I figure he auditions start by start at this point.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    I am as skeptical about him as the next person, but nothing yesterday indicated he should not get the ball again. I figure he auditions start by start at this point.
    Well stated. I was listening to MLB radio on Saturday and they said KL as a starter has Joe Mays written all over it. We shall see.

Just for a refernce, Mays 1st start as a Red:

6 IP, 8 H, 2R, 2ER, 2BB, 5K
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Let's take it one start at a time. His first was good....now he should get a second

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8

Very true. After that start, I said he too deserved a second start.

Loshe pitched good yesterday and should get another start.

Does anyone know why Loshe doesnt throw his curveball anymore?
    I was listening to the game yesterday on TBS and they said he dropped his curveball and is using a slider instead.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8

Buzz killer!
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?