Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Edited: Waiver deal DOESN'T fail, so Livan is now a D-back

Edited: Waiver deal DOESN'T fail, so Livan is now a D-back

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2541719

Nationals pitcher Livan Hernandez -- the subject of much trade speculation -- will be staying in Washington for the rest of the season, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported Sunday night.

The reason? After Hernandez was placed on waivers last Tuesday and claimed by an unnamed team, a deal could not be worked out. Hernandez was then withdrawn from waivers and, by rule, cannot be dealt the rest of the season.

The 31-year-old Hernandez is slated to make $7 million in 2007 and, as he struggled earlier this year, trade interest from other teams faded. However, Hernandez's strong outing against the Padres on Sunday was his third in a row, showing signs he is turning around his season.

But he won't be turning it around for another team.

Hernandez is 9-8 this season with 5.34 ERA. He has given up 176 hits in 146 2/3 innings and opponents are hitting .299 against him. Barring injury, Hernandez will likely reach 11 wins for the seventh straight season.
    Last edited by realreds1; 08-07-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: ESPN got the story wrong... ?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Waiver deal fails, so Livan staying put in D.C.

Good news for the Reds, unless the Cardinals were wanting to acquire him.

Hernandez is done.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'd rather have Lohse, honestly.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Not true according to foxsports
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5852074

Headed to the D-backs

that could be a good thing.

For the Reds.

Livan off waivers....not so fast!!!!

Fox-linked story:

Diamondbacks trade for Hernandez
    Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 7 minutes ago

Nationals right-hander Livan Hernandez has been traded to the Diamondbacks for two minor-league pitchers, FOXSports.com has learned.

Hernandez has made 24 starts for Washington this season, going 9-8 with a 5.34 ERA.

But he knows a thing or two about pennant races, having helped the Florida Marlins win the 1997 World Series, earning MVP honors for the NLCS along the way. He also was a member of the San Francisco Giants' starting rotation when they reached the 2002 World Series before losing to the Angels.

In return, the Nationals will receive two Class AA pitchers — left-hander Matt Chico, 23, and right-hander Garrett Mock, 23.

Hernandez is guaranteed $7 million in 2007, but it is not yet known whether the Nationals are including cash in the deal.

Re: Edited: Waiver deal DOESN'T fail, so Livan is now a D-back

Can they make this waiver wire thing any more complicated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I wonder if more Washington waiver deals will pop up over the next couple weeks. When he ran the Reds, I recall Bowden would sometimes only put a few guys at a time on waivers (as opposed to the entire roster at once, as some teams do).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

We're complaining about Ryan Franklin being added to our pen but look what our competetion is adding to their rotation.

The team with the most duct tape and super glue is going to win this thing.

Ryan Franklin needs to earn the nickname "Gorilla Glue"
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    I laughed, but if you think about it for a second, it's only funny because it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    You are right though. The race might come down to who is the best of Weaver/Franklin/Hernandez/etc
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?