Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ryan Franklin is a Red

Re: Ryan Franklin is a Red

Quote Originally Posted by puca
    I am frightened how bad this has become.

It if simply amazing to me that a team which has traded for 6 BP arms in the past month can still be so needy.
    Really, it is amazing. I've never seen such GM futility in my life. It's a serious blackmark and embarrassment for Wayne. I hope he learns his lesson very well.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Really, it is amazing. I've never seen such GM futility in my life. It's a serious blackmark and embarrassment for Wayne. I hope he learns his lesson very well.
    Yeah he is so bad he has the Reds in first in the Wild Card and in the thick of the division title race.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...7/c1597562.jsp
    Reds acquire Franklin from Phillies
    08/07/2006 3:53 PM ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- General manager Wayne Krivsky's production of "Extreme Makeover: Bullpen Edition," continued Monday with another pitching acquisition.
    The Reds acquired right-handed reliever Ryan Franklin and cash from the Phillies for a player to be named later.

A former starter converted to a relief role, Franklin was 1-5 with a 4.58 ERA in 46 appearances and 53 innings with Philadelphia this season. The 33-year-old was designated for assignment on July 30.

Franklin, who also spent parts of six seasons with the Mariners from 1999-2005, has made 106 starts in the Majors. He signed as a free agent with the Phillies with the expectation of starting, but was sent to the bullpen during Spring Training.

Since July 6, the Reds have acquired six relief pitchers through trades and overhauled their bullpen. Eddie Guardado, Gary Majewski, Bill Bray, Kyle Lohse and Rheal Cormier were the additions. Only Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Todd Coffey have been with the club since the beginning of the season.

Cincinnati made several other roster moves on Monday. Mercker (elbow) was activated from the 15-day disabled list. Placed on the 15-day DL were Majewski (right shoulder inflammation) and Jason Standridge (back spasms).

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Really, it is amazing. I've never seen such GM futility in my life. It's a serious blackmark and embarrassment for Wayne.

ikkirus

do you mean such futility as aquiring bronson arroyo, d. ross, b. phillips, and Hatte for the net loss of Wily Mo? Of which you could say Phillips would be in the running for team MVP and Arroyo has potential to lead the team in ERA and possibly (not likely anymore) in wins? Ross in place of Larue....no argument needed. Any problem with Hatte's OBP and glove?

They had no chance with the bullpen we had....although it hasn't been as strong as we had hoped, it still puts them in much better position as before the pre-deadline bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by ikkirus
    do you mean such futility as aquiring bronson arroyo, d. ross, b. phillips, and Hatte for the net loss of Wily Mo?
    I believe he's referring to re-making the bullpen with the likes of Cormier, Franklin, Majewski, Yan, Lohse, and Guardado.

Not exactly guys whose names would spring to mind when posed with the question "Which MLB pitchers should the Reds try to acquire in order to revamp their bullpen?"

This is still by no means a "great" bullpen. It's average, at best. And it has been the ONLY thing focused on for improvement by Wayne over the past two months.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I believe he's referring to re-making the bullpen with the likes of Cormier, Franklin, Majewski, Yan, Lohse, and Guardado.

Not exactly guys whose names would spring to mind when posed with the question "Which MLB pitchers should the Reds try to acquire in order to revamp their bullpen?"

This is still by no means a "great" bullpen. It's average, at best. And it has been the ONLY thing focused on for improvement by Wayne over the past two months.
    After seeing Lohse's stuff I think he has a pretty big ceiling.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

NWbuckeye

Hello All,
    I'm new to this forum. I grew up in Ohio a Reds fan, but have lived on the west coast for the past thirty years. I am currently living in the Northwest and have followed the Mariners closely the last six years. I noticed a disturbing trend of the Reds picking up mariner rejects. If anyone is curious about Franklin here goes:

He was excellent in long relief during the M's 2001 playoff run. He became a starter and pitched really well for two consecutive years with absolutely horrible run support. He developed the nickname 'Lucky' in the M's forums. Last year he struggled. He failed a drug test, but denied any wrong doing. He took the over-the-counter, I didn't know what was in it defense, and at one point in the season he fought in the dugout with our lousy pitching coach Bryan Price. I always liked Franklin. He tends to be a fly ball pitcher(as is Eddie). Neither one of these guys are suited to a smaller ballpark, but at times when Franklin is on he has the potential to shut down the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis

Let's not leave out Bray who has the biggest upside of all of them. Cormier had the lowest ERA amongst all relievers in the NL. The only two who have not worked out so far is Yan and Majewski. Not every acquisition is going to work, but 5 out of 7 ain't bad.

[QUOTE=NWbuckeye]Hello All,
    QUOTE]

Welcome aboard.

Can he be stopped?

Looked very good tonight. K of the Big P was huge.

Turn Off Ads?