Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Franklin is a Red

Re: Ryan Franklin is a Red

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13
    Considering that we will probably give up almost nothing for franklin how can you not like the move. If it doesnt work out, oh well nothing lost..

If it doesn't work out, then actually yeah, there will be losses.

The problem with signing the Joe Mays' and the Ryan Franklins of the world is that they eventually get to play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The best thing I like about Wayne K is that he knows when to cut his losses from a bad move/investment and move on, and he does so in a rather timely manner per se. Not like keeping them around for the rest of the season. He has impressed me thusfar. I just hope that the Franklin move works out for us in the positive in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor

The problem with signing the Joe Mays' and the Ryan Franklins of the world is that they eventually get to play.
    Maybe we can get JimBo back. I mean, isn't he trying to sign Soriano to a long-term deal? Something most people in MLB think will not happen? Already calling his decision to hang on to him one of the worst non-moves prior to the trading deadline?

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    Maybe we can get JimBo back. I mean, isn't he trying to sign Soriano to a long-term deal? Something most people in MLB think will not happen? Already calling his decision to hang on to him one of the worst non-moves prior to the trading deadline?
    What does Jim Bowden have to do with Krivsky trading for Ryan Franklin?

Oh swell, he's "trying hard".

yippie.

I wish he's try harder then.

I think the problem with Wayne is that compared to DanO he's Branch Ricky. But then compared to DanO Krusty is Branch Ricky.
    Well, after Mr Status Quo, anything looks good

I think Franklin can have value to this team if he becomes a decent long man.
    It would be nice to have someone to put in the 5-8 innings when the team is behind. If we had a decent long man, then we wouldn't need to waste Cormier and Weathers in games like LA when we were behind.

Because before this trade we had no long man. Maj has been useless and Gardado is hurt, so yesterday Narron was basically been stuck with a five man bullpen with no long man.

I don't think Franklin is a savior by any means, but he could be useful to eat innings when we are losing, and keep the rest of the pen rested for the close games.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    It may not be a bad move to keep Soriano if he wasn't offered much for him.
    Keeping Soriano (even if he can't be resigned) is worth it if Bowden wasn't offered at least one sure thing prospect/young player along with a couple prospects.

It will help Bowden in the next trade. It reminds me a lot of the year the Reds weren't contending, but Bowden refused to give away Mike Morgan and Mercker, despite the fact that we were out of the race.

In contrast, teams know that Pittsburg will always settle for the best offer. So Pitt gets low balled a lot. Pitt is seldom in the position to demand a premium return.

I have no idea what Bowden was actually offered for Soriano, but if it was analogous to a Denofornia and a couple Olmedos, it was a good thing not to trade Soriano.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Correct. He can stay on the DL the rest of the year if that's what the Reds so decide.
    Actually, if a player feels he is on the disabled list undeservedly, I think the player may have the option to do some sort of arbitration hearing or something like that to determine whether the disabled list is appropriate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator
    FWIW, I think White was Kullman's error.
    But it was Krivsky who kept him around till the end of June
    Go Gators!

Maj has options. If he is healthy and can pitch, he'll be sent to Louisiville to try to get straightened out if there is no spot here. No sense having him just sitting there. I think the Reds have high hopes for him, despite his numbers so far.

He'll be 27 next year and I'm sure the Reds expect him to be a big league pitcher. I wouldn't worry about using his (last?) option. Could pay off if he can get back to his normal self.

I believe this is his last option year and that he can be optioned an unlimited number of times this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Im hoping all that Majewski needed was a few weeks off after being used alot by the Nationals.

If Claussen is going to be joining the team he should probably be used as a LOOGY out of the bullpen
    or a spot starter when they need one. Claussen vs. Left: .164, Claussen vs. Right: .331.

That is a great idea with Claussen. He is very deceptive against left handed hitters. The reds need a left hander like that in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    But it was Krivsky who kept him around till the end of June
    Didn't that turn out to be because Kullman put some sort of clause into White's contract saying that he couldn't be cut or whatever until sometime in June?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

He should have traded a player to be named later for Dontrelle Willis or someone good. That would have been a great move. That's what I would have done. I would have even thrown in Jason LaRue.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60
    Me and a friend we just emailing back and forth about this and wondering just what could be done and after about 4 emails we came to the same conclusions above with the exception of Standridge, we thought he would be sent down to AAA not on the DL.

I can tell you this, that this move for Franklin actually surprised me, but I am really glad we have a guy in the FO that is making moves and not just sitting there albeit small ones.

I am also very curious as to what will happen in say 2 weeks when some of these guys are ready to come off of the DL, I wonder if Narron will actually have to part with one of his veterans in Mercker or if we will have to actually go back to a 2 catcher team?
    they'll probably hold those guys on the DL until Sept.1st when they can expand the roster.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

I am frightened how bad this has become.

It if simply amazing to me that a team which has traded for 6 BP arms in the past month can still be so needy.

Turn Off Ads?