Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Daugherty defends Narron's use of Pen

Daugherty defends Narron's use of Pen

I usually dislike Daugherty's stuff very much, but he does make some good points in this one.

Relievers color way Narron is perceived
    BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    Nothing lowers a manager's perceived IQ more than a busted bullpen. Despite GM Wayne Krivsky's tireless tweaking, the Reds 'pen remains a propane truck looking for a wall. And Jerry Narron's perceived smarts are down there with potato salad.

Heading into the biggest series of the season, the Reds have a bad case of the same-ol', same-ol's. After taking three days off against Los Angeles, they were poised Sunday to sweep three from the Atlanta Braves. A thin line separates "resilient" from "inconsistent." Cincinnati crosses it, both ways, every other week.

The Reds were up 4-2 after seven innings Sunday. They got five gutsy innings from Kyle Lohse and yet another big hit from Edwin Encarnacion, who should be playing a whole lot more than he is. Then they walked the same, live wire they've walked all year.

Blame it on Narron, if you like. Observe, again, his use of the bullpen, and find him deficient. But understand this going in:

Narron doesn't pitch. The best he can do is judge which relievers are best in which roles, call their names and try not to close his eyes in prayer when they come in. For most of this season, Reds relievers have had the shelf life of a three-cheese omelet. Of the 12 pitchers on the Opening Day Roster, five are active today. Of the five, only two are relief pitchers.

The Reds have burned through the likes of Rick White, Mike Burns, Chris Hammond, Brian Shackelford and Esteban Yan. Narron is like the poker player trying to win the pot with a pair of 5s.

Managers get comfortable when they know what to expect. Narron started the season without a bona-fide closer. He has been juggling swords since. He did it again Sunday, and looked alternately smart and stupid, depending on who was pitching.

Narron brings in lefty Bill Bray with the bases loaded and one out in the sixth. Bray, an emerging stud, pops out Brian McCann and gets Jeff Francoeur to ground weakly to second. Narron: Genius.

In the seventh, Narron lifts Bray for Gary Majewski, who gets Edgar Renteria to ground out with the bases loaded. Narron: Genius.

In the eighth, Majewski gives up two singles, a triple, a home run and a sacrifice fly. Narron: Potato salad.

To those who wondered what Majewski was doing out there in the eighth, Narron said he didn't want to use Rheal Cormier or David Weathers, because each had worked extensively lately. Cormier had pitched in four of the previous five games; Weathers in three of the last four.

Majewski, bless him, looks beat up, either physically, mentally or both. Narron likely would have removed him after the Renteria at-bat, to give him something to dream about sweetly for a change, had he wanted to risk Cormier or Weathers.

"I hate to say they were unavailable," the manager said. "But we were doing everything we could to avoid them." Including blowing the game. Meanwhile, three Braves relievers held the Reds hitless in the last three innings.

The last genius manager here was Lou Piniella. His IQ jumped measurably whenever Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble and Randy Myers warmed up. Smart managers have reliable bullpens. Genius managers have great bullpens. Managers with torch men in the bullpen go by a different name: Fired.

Maybe in the next two months, in the heat of a lukewarm pennant race, the Reds' bullpen will stop resembling a Manhattan subway stop. Narron will develop a feel for who works best in different situations. If Bray keeps improving, Majewski turns it around (or takes a seat when Kent Mercker comes off the DL) and Narron gets consistently what Cormier, Weathers and Eddie Guardado have historically provided, Narron will find a groove with his bullpen. And his team will stop wasting games like the one it wasted Sunday.

Until then, St. Louis is in town. Narron better spend the next four days not pitching to Albert Pujols. Or he'll really be second-guessed.

E-mail pdaugherty@enquirer.com
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...608070413/1071
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daugherty defends Narron's use of Pen

I usually find Daugherty entertaining, I don't always agree with what he writes but I'll rarely pass up the chance to read one of his pieces. This was a good one...and he even got a shot in there about EE playing more.

Maybe if Majewski had been treated earlier in the year like Narron is treating Weathers and Guardado now, he'd be ptiching a little better.

As I was musing on Majik's dowmfall yesterday, I think the truth is, Jerry Narron expects his staff to be professionals, to be capable of pitching. That hasn't always been the case this season with the bullpen and at the time of "the trade", it was absolutely clear that the bullpen could not be relied on. Now we've cobbled together a decent staff, but we've got to nurse them through to the completion of the 2006 season (whenever that will be!). I think we've got a decent pitcher in Majewski, but I suspect he's been overworked.

We've said this over and over again this season. It's gravy. It's completely unexpected. Let's hope for the best this year and see what we can build on for next season. If we make the playoffs this year - great! But let's do it for many years to come while we're at it.

BTW, I used to detest Daugherty as a writer. He was far to cliche ridden and often wrote things that seemed only geared to readers who knew the sports. He is a much broader writer these days (last several years) and I generally find him an enjoyable read. I still can't stand to watch him on TV, he looks like a 'know it all' or some thing. But's a much improved writer.

...and yet another big hit from Edwin Encarnacion, who should be playing a whole lot more than he is.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I like this article. I feel like it's directed at all of you Jerry Narron haters. It's almost like Daugherty reads this message board and knows that people mistakenly blame Narron for the bullpen woes. LAY OFF OF NARRON! You have to admit, he's much better than Boone, Miley, and Knight.

Narron brings in lefty Bill Bray with the bases loaded and one out in the sixth. Bray, an emerging stud, pops out Brian McCann and gets Jeff Francoeur to ground weakly to second. Narron: Genius.

In the seventh, Narron lifts Bray for Gary Majewski, who gets Edgar Renteria to ground out with the bases loaded. Narron: Genius.

In the eighth, Majewski gives up two singles, a triple, a home run and a sacrifice fly. Narron: Potato salad.
    "Genius" Narron left Bray in the game too long in the seventh, which is why the bases were loaded when he brought Majewski in.

Narron also burned through the bullpen on Saturday, which is why he considered Cormier and Weathers "unavailable" on Sunday.

And I don't consider tanking a game to preserve the arm of Cormier (only 36 IP this season) "genius" at all.

Daugherty paints Narron as the victim of circumstance, but in reality he's responsible for putting himself in those circumstances.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-07-2006 at 09:35 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Can he be stopped?

Well, hopefully, even though we paid the shirt off our back for Majik, with Kent coming off the DL, we can move him to long relief or something, where he won't have a lot of pitching to do. Give him some confidence in low pressure situations and let him have the offseason to rest and start over.

One thing that is lost in all of this is WHY Weathers and Courmier (and to a certain extent Coffey too) were unavailable. It's because, since the start of the Dodgers series, the starters have had a hard time going late into ball games. To a certain extent, these guys (including Aaron and Bronson) played a roll in the Sunday meltdown.

I was personally worried to see "The Magic Man" in there in the 8th to begin with, considering how the BP had been playing with fire for 2 straight innings. However, I understand why JN saw a need to rest arms. I'd also like to see what happens if Majewski were to go a week or so without pitching at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    "Genius" Narron left Bray in the game too long in the seventh, which is why the bases were loaded when he brought Majewski in.

Narron also burned through the bullpen on Saturday, which is why he considered Cormier and Weathers "unavailable" on Sunday.

And I don't consider tanking a game to preserve the arm of Cormier (only 36 IP this season) "genius" at all.

Daugherty paints Narron as the victim of circumstance, but in reality he's responsible for putting himself in those circumstances.
    I agree with everything you just said. And I guess he didn't think that game mattered either.

It sure wasn't "genius" to know that Majic would not get the job done in the next inning of a very close game, one the Reds needed to win. Majewski's track record as a Red should be very clear to Jerry Narron; at the very least, he could have had someone warming in the pen anticipating Majewski's meltdown (I think he's the only person who didn't know it was going to happen).

Yes, Gary Majewski needs to pitch, but not in a close game... at least not until his command returns, if it ever does. If he really felt the need to use him, he should have brought him in earlier... again based on his track record... because then the Reds would have had more time to try to undo the damage that GM was 99.9 per cent certain to create.

Cormier and Weathers have pitched a lot lately, but only in small doses... an inning here, two innings there. They should be able to handle one more. Plus, had JN taken the initiative to have Todd Coffey warming up when GM took the mound, perhaps the damage in that late inning could have been minimized.

Ugh!

GM needs a rest; he was worked hard in Washington. JN needs to give more thought to his decisions.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 08-07-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

No prob with running Majunkski out there for the 8th, but the minute he started getting shelled/losing it, you get him out of there in that situation. It's amazing how a writer like Daugherty completely glances over that entire point in his article, making it useless.

Narron continually has left pitchers in the game too long.

Hopefully Franklin and Mercker give Jerry some fresh arms to make him look a bit smarter.

I'm not expecting much from Franklin, but if we could get even a mediocre long man that can chew up innings when the starter leaves early, that should help keep Cormier, Weathers and the other guys more rested.

Replacing Standbridge will help too. The guy's control is so bad, you can only bring him in with bases empty and then you have to have someone ready to bail him out. That puts a strain on the pen as well.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?