Turn Off Ads?

Thread: discussions in dugout

part of BBN

discussions in dugout

just wondering how much mgrs and players discuss things in dugout.
    example:
    bad baserunning play:does mgr say something to player or not?
    hitter fails to move runner : " " " " " " "" "" """

alot of times i very seldom see mgrs saying much in dugout except ot other coaches during the games.

also do mgrs give talks to team after games like football coaches do ?
    this may b silly question but i've watched football and basketball coaches all my life and i am wondering about the the baseball mgr-player communication aspect ?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Re: discussions in dugout

dont everyone answer at once

there is just a lot of ingame talk in basketball and football but i dont see much in baseball.
    does the mgr say to freel(example) "you threw to wrong base" when he comes in to dugout or do it after game or not at all.
    just wonderin...

Joe Girardi talks to his players a lot. And by talk I mean scream. Of course, he's in charge of a group of 23 year olds, so I guess he's taking a cue from Bull Durham and trying to scare 'em.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Unless it's something so blatantly awful that it deserves a public reprimand, most managers will wait and talk to the player privately about his mistake/mistakes so as to not, in baseball lingo, "show them up."
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

it happens a lot more in high school ball and college....writer it doesnt mean he is showing his pitcher up if he sits down and talks with him...there is very little screaming in the dugout at players, when it happens you here about it, as for teaching bobby cox talks to his players a lot before they go to the plate (if you have dvr and u happened to dvr sundays game) watch bobby talk to franceour before he goes up to the plate in the 7th (i think). The manager has a good scouting report on every team and pitcher and may remind his batters of a couple things before going up to the plate. AKA if Standridge is pitching the manager might throw this out "be patient and make sure he can throw strikes today". Also the hitting coach is pretty talkative during a game (when asked)

I was talking more along the lines of the kind of talk that comes when something angers a manager. Of course the kind of talk to which you're referring happens.
    Dan Scott, Director of Broadcasting
    Play-By-Play Voice
    Furman University Athletics
    Host of The Dan Scott Show, Facebook Live/Periscope
    Greenville/Clemson, SC

oh i know, i wasnt saying that to like show you up, i knew what you meant but figured he wanted to know a little bit more about how the game is played on this level...just giving the best answer i knew

Turn Off Ads?