Bbs: 17
    HRs allowed-10 (!)
    Batting Avg. Against: .280
    Batting Avg. Balls In Play: .278
    lefties (74) are hitting .270 w/ 1 HR
    righties (137) are hitting .285 w/ 9 HR

Ground ball% 2005 (a good year for him):41 %

2006 Baseball Prospectus:
    “Flyball pitchers with low strikeout rates face long odds in the big leagues. First they have to hope for a home park that turns flyballs into long outs instead of homers. They also need pinpoint control to prevent extra baserunners, minimizing the damage when they do serve up a cookie. While they tend to yield lower batting averages on balls in play than groundballers, with fewer knocks scooting through the infield, they need luck and good defense to mitigate all the batters who don't strike out and instead put the ball in play. In 2003, Franklin yielded a BABIP of .250, with a resulting 3.57 ERA. In 2005: a .289 BABIP and a 5.10 ERA. Wisely non-tendered after the '05 season, Franklin signed with the Phillies. Avert your eyes.”

VORP: (Value over replacement player)
    2003: 49.1
    2004: 20.3
    2005: 11.5
    2006 (projected): 6.6
    2006 (actual to date): 8.6

2006 Sporting News Baseball Register Scouting Reports “Throws: Franklin has an 87-91 mph fastball, an 83-86 slider, a 74-76 curve, and a changeup. Tendencies: He throws a lot of different pitches, but the loss of velocity on his fastball has made them more similar and less effective. Appears to have lost confidence in his fastball and leaves it up too often. Outlook: He is starting to level off now with declining velocity and sharpness in his breaking ball. Could struggle to reach double digit wins in 2006. Grade: 6.3.”

2006 Bill James Handbook pitcher projection:
    IP: 182
    GS:30
    HR: 28
    ERA : 4.45

Final notes:

The Phils evidently decided switching Ryan to the bullpen has not worked. You can't have relievers give up 10 homeruns in only 53 innings. (That could break Milton's record!) Overall, he is pitching better than some, like Baseball Prospectus, predicted.

Philadelphia is a similar HR friendly park to GABP, but still....5 HRs in Philly, 5 on the road this year.

This one REALLY scares me...doesn't seem like a good fit for us. Love to be wrong.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 08-07-2006 at 03:33 PM.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Franklin facts, stats, and scouting report

Krivs grasping at straws right now and I can't say as I blame him. Nothing good is out there and what we have isn't exactly good either. He's probably doing all he can do.At least he's trying.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

At least we're not paying $25 million for him. I think it's worth a shot, can't be worse than the Joe Mays experiment.

Or can it?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Krivs is making me shake my head.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?