Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you use tobacco???

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • I admit it, I smoke... but I'm trying to quit.

16 16.16%
  • Just a little pinch between my cheek and gum.

10 10.10%
  • I smoke, dip, chew Nicorette, and use the patch all at the same time.

3 3.03%
  • No way.

70 70.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tobacco usage

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Tobacco usage

I smoked for 15 years, quit for one year, smoked for 8 more, and then I quit for good. It's been almost 6 years now and I can smell a cigarette from across the street. I hate the smell of them and can't figure out how or why I ever smoked them. I used to say I'd quit, "when they pry my dead hands from my pack of cigarettes." and that wasn't far from the truth. The last few years I'd cough up a bunch of pfleghm in the morning shower and most times it was black. The last few times it was red...that line didn't seem so funny to me any more. I really don't miss all the coughing in the morning. My father smoked for about 25 years of his life, he quit and after 20 more years was diagnosed with emphysema. So I've probably got that to look forward to...:thumbdown

I really wish everyone would quit, but some of us have to learn things the hard way. Quit if you can. Not for me or anyone else, but for yourself. You'll be happier. It's great to breathe deep, (even though our air's not so clean any more either,) to smell and taste things again. It's really worth it. [/soapbox]

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hate the smell of them and can't figure out how or why I ever smoked them.
    Me too, the smell can now make me sick if I'm submerged in it too long.

I quit by going to Camel Straights, the foulest blend of tobbaco in the history of time, I used that for the nicotine but everything else about it was so gross I eventually quit that too.

I'm 13, never have, never will.

I never really think its anybodys fault, bc everyone gets curious every once in awhile and might try dipping/smoking. I for one was curious of dip, skoal green apple, it was the first time i actually got and kind of buzz from anything, i loved it. I started for the buzz but i built up a immunity for tobacco, so know i just do it because my body chemistry needs it. Plus I wasnt going through the best time of my life when i started.
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Smoked in college- parties, bars, drinking, social gatherings, and high stress moments. Graduated in 01 smoked on and off for three years. Haven't had one for two years now. The urge still comes when I am at a party having a drink, and someone else has one. I can smell a Marlboro Light from across the room.

I had respitory issues, a case of pneumonia, then bronchial pneumonia, polyps surgically removed from my sinuses twice, and a general wheezing noise that came when I laughed hard. Those things were killing me. I had to quit, and made the decision while driving from Sidney to Cincinnati. I threw the pack
    I had out the window at the Troy exit of 75 and think about that everytime I drive by. It was the best thing I ever did. Day 3 was the hardest.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I used to smoke. I started when I lived in Europe. Just being in the smoky bars and cafes started giving me a craving for cigarettes. I quit 8 years later, my last cigarette as a "smoker" in a Chicago bar called "Joy Blue." Since then I've smoked cigars (about 1 a year) and bummed a few cigarettes. Each time I bummed one, I thought I would like it, but it's been so long that I couldn't stand the taste. I used Wellbutrin to kick the habit. Smoke for two weeks while taking it to let it build up in your system, then just quit cold turkey. The first weekend was rough, but after that I've never had the desire to buy a pack of cigarettes.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I used Wellbutrin to kick the habit. Smoke for two weeks while taking it to let it build up in your system, then just quit cold turkey. The first weekend was rough, but after that I've never had the desire to buy a pack of cigarettes.
    What is Wellbutrin?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    What is Wellbutrin?
    It's a prescription anti-depressant called Bupropion...sold by another company under the name Zyban. It's commonly used to help quit smoking. I have a friend who takes Wellbutrin for other reasons. The original version caused seizures in many patients, so it was discontinued and reintroduced in a timed-release version as Wellbutrin SR and its extended release cousin Wellbutrin XL. It has a lot of interactions as well, so it's much safer if you're not taking any other medicinal or recreational drug, including alcohol. It's not something you'd want to take for an extended (years) period, but if it helps you quit smoking it's probably worth the risk.

If you're trying to quit and you want something to decrease that nervous, jittery feeling you get, try taking a B-complex multivitamin. Anything with B6, B12, and I think riboflavin...nicotine is addictive because your body uses it in place of these vitamins in the creation of new nerve cells. It takes a while for your body to switch back over, so it's better to make the real thing readily available.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 08-09-2006 at 11:24 AM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I only smoke crack
    Stick to your guns.

WAGS

i'm a camel turkish golds/royal guy, although i hate smoking. but for some reason it just always happens whenever i'm in the car. i'm not adicted, per say. i can go weeks without a smoke and be fine, but whenever i'm in a car i'm like lets get cigs.

its wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I only smoke crack

Or to quote David Sedaris when he's asked if he smokes, "only pot and cigarettes."

I was a smoker in college and grad school. In grad school, our townhouse (4 guys, 3 smokers) had a permanent haze floating around the room, it was hillarious. People would walk in and literally go "oh my God". But back then, smokers weren't treated like lepers, so it wasn't that big of a deal. The main reason I quit was because I didn't like the way it discolored my teeth.

I was a lucky one that didn't have any problems quitting. I'd occasionally have a cigar for a special occasion, like the birth of a child or someone offered me one, but I never felt addicted. Sure, I still like the smell of smoke but I really never craved it more than I'd crave a Pepsi when I walked past a soda machine.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

i quit about 6-ish years ago. i smoked for 9 years. i SO dont miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I quit a year ago in September. I had quit a bunch before that but always knew deep down I'd go back because I missed it, had a couple here and there and then... This time, I truly haven't missed it -- maybe a half-dozen, high-stress times total. I just got too freaked out by how bad it is for you, and I already felt the effects of it. I don't like anything infringing on my vision of my own immortality.
    I take back all of this. I am in the middle of apartment/moving hell and the ONLY THING I want in ALL THE WORLD right now is a cigarette. I don't care about immortality when tobacco exists. I am shaking with upsetness. baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh help
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I take back all of this. I am in the middle of apartment/moving hell and the ONLY THING I want in ALL THE WORLD right now is a cigarette. I don't care about immortality when tobacco exists. I am shaking with upsetness. baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh help
    sounds like you could use some methadone

Turn Off Ads?