Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Some things I didn't know about Marty... thank you, Wikipedia!

Some things I didn't know about Marty... thank you, Wikipedia!

1. His first name is Franchester. Franchester Martin Brennaman. What the... ? I would have hated to learn to write that name as a kid. I bet that's why he's so angry all the time. Pent-up issues.

2. "In 1974, Marty Brennaman was selected (from among 200-plus applicants) to replace Al Michaels." Ever wonder who some of the other 199 candidates were?

3. "Marty Brennaman's much beloved traditional signal of a Reds victory: 'And this one belongs to the Reds!' was coined during his second game." Didn't take him long to get acclimated to the job...

4. "In addition to the Virginia Squires and the Norfolk Tides, he has called games for Virginia Tech and William & Mary, and formerly called NCAA men's basketball tournament games." So, shouldn't he have an automatic soft spot in his heart for Bray and Brendan Harris? Or maybe not...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Re: Some things I didn't know about Marty... thank you, Wikipedia!

I really miss Marty doing pbp during the NCAA... at times better than calling baseball.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-12
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    4. "In addition to the Virginia Squires and the Norfolk Tides, he has called games for Virginia Tech and William & Mary, and formerly called NCAA men's basketball tournament games."
    He's a huge UNC fan, in case you haven't noticed.

He was in his usual form yesterday. It was a crucial part of the game (before the Maj meltdown), the Braves were threatening, and Marty was busy having an email poll about what he should name his cat. I almost threw the radio, I was so upset. In a tense inning like that, I want play by play, not mindless blabbering.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think it was a Oklahoma game he was calling that I caught one time, easily top 10 play by play guys I have ever heard for Basketball.

I remember the Franchester bit from his early days on the air.

But I'm old.

I went to an educational technology workshop this summer and the facilitator warned us not to trust wikipedia for accurate information. I'm not suggesting the Marty stuff is wrong but pointing out something I found interesting.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    I went to an educational technology workshop this summer and the facilitator warned us not to trust wikipedia for accurate information. I'm not suggesting the Marty stuff is wrong but pointing out something I found interesting.
    I know that the wikipedia debate rages... and it will do so for a while. When it comes down to it, I think a peer-created encyclopedia can have its fair share of misleading or downright incorrect info. But then I look back at the following study and wonder:

"Nature magazine recently conducted a head-to-head competition between Wikipedia and Britannica, having experts compare 42 science-related articles. The result was that Wikipedia had about 4 errors per article, while Britannica had about 3. However, a pair of endevouring Wikipedians dug a little deeper and discovered that the Wikipedia articles in the sample were, on average, 2.6 times longer than Britannica's - meaning Wikipedia has an error rate far less than Britannica's."
    And, then of course, there was this issue that catapulted the aforementioned study:

Wikipedia's credibility was dealt a blow this month [December] when John Seigenthaler -- the founding editorial director of USA Today -- pointed out that he is not a longtime suspect in the assassinations of John and Robert Kennedy, as Wikipedia said.
    Last edited by realreds1; 08-07-2006 at 06:06 PM.

There is also a mention of him smelling like Juicy Fruit.

That was an ungoing topic earlier on this year. His first name particularly in the second inning with each newspaper guy for about a week. Some of the players got onto him about it for a while. I think the story about the first name broke in the Chicago paper, I assume the Tribune, but I don't know for a fact. I'm working off memory.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

I think he called the Kentucky/Duke regional finals game when Kentucky came back from 19 down in the second half to knock out Duke on their way to the national title.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I almost threw the radio, I was so upset. In a tense inning like that, I want play by play, not mindless blabbering.
    Marty belongs in the Hall of Shame.

And he'll be sure to let us know if he ever gets inducted.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone trump the fact that they are a HOFer more than Franchester, which makes a great name for a cat, by the way.

Stat geek...and proud

I thought the "this one belongs..." thing was coined about halfway through his first season, when the Reds won a game in the ninth on an error or something? Not his second game on the air. I could be wrong though.

It was a real treat to listen to Marty do basketball. I think the reason that he's better at it than baseball is because there is constant action - no time for all the other extraneous stuff. Just like during the last innings of a close game, he is at his best when he's not distracted.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?