Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lopez since 'The Trade'/How bad is Lopez's D?

Lopez since 'The Trade'/How bad is Lopez's D?

Since the Trade, Lopez has hit .284/.385/.432 with 2 HR in 81 AB. Still not on par with last year (except for the BB rate), but still good numbers.

And about his defense:

How bad is it really? From what I could tell visually, he had at the very least average range, if not above average, and a strong, if at teams a tad erratic, arm. What really was wrong with his defense?
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lopez since 'The Trade'/How bad is Lopez's D?

very poor range, good but scatter arm. not that great at the double play.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    very poor range, good but scatter arm. not that great at the double play.
    I just don't see it, range-wise. From what I could tell, he wasn't the best, but not the worst by any measure, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    I just don't see it, range-wise. From what I could tell, he wasn't the best, but not the worst by any measure, either.
    from defensive statistic metrics he was in the bottom third in the majors.

from watching him, it sure seemed likely.

he was very poor at going into the hole IMO.

He may end up being a decent second baseman but I just don't see him cutting it at SS.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Since the Trade, Lopez has hit .284/.385/.432 with 2 HR in 81 AB. Still not on par with last year (except for the BB rate), but still good numbers.

And about his defense:

How bad is it really? From what I could tell visually, he had at the very least average range, if not above average, and a strong, if at teams a tad erratic, arm. What really was wrong with his defense?
    He also has 9 stolen bases.

He is one of the worst defensive SS in baseball.

That being said if we can get him back for Majewski I'd do it in a second.

He was clocking the 3rd worst SS fielding percentage for Reds SS since Harry Trumans first term.

Not a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    He also has 9 stolen bases.

He is one of the worst defensive SS in baseball.

That being said if we can get him back for Majewski I'd do it in a second.
    From a statistic metric stance, yes, and I'll believe that he was a bad SS (I'm not the greatest scout ), but had a strong arm...that has to count for SOMETHING....right?

I'd still have waited til November and did the Brandon Phillips/Felipe Lopez Musical Chair Position Switch Jamboree and kept the extra offense sacrificed for Gary Majewski.

For the record, the deal most likely could've been done simply Austin Kearns for Bill Bray, no?
    Last edited by TC81190; 08-07-2006 at 07:51 PM.

From a statistic metric stance, yes, and I'll believe that he was a bad SS (I'm not the greatest scout ), but had a strong arm...that has to count for SOMETHING....right?

I'd still have waited til November and did the Brandon Phillips/Felipe Lopez Musical Chair Position Switch Jamboree and kept the extra offense sacrificed for Gary Majewski.

For the record, the deal most likely could've been done simply Austin Kearns for Bill Bray, no?
    the problem with that IMO is Lopez is going to make about 5 mil next year. What if he's a failure at 2B?

In the same class as Larkin and Concepcion?

...but had a strong arm...that has to count for SOMETHING....right?
    since Range Factor includes Assists, i believe RF tends to be a decent measure of arm strength as well...but when you have a good arm AND a poor RF, it most definetly means your range is lacking.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

the problem with that IMO is Lopez is going to make about 5 mil next year. What if he's a failure at 2B?
    He can still hit.

He can still hit.

lefthanded, yes. right not so well. and what if he's a disaster at 2B? The Reds can't continue to suck it up defensively IMO.

TMBS, I think they probably should have tried it this year and found out if it would have worked before he got big bucks in arb as SS.

Another thing to consider is that his bat is really only above average as a SS and maybe a 2B, but if he couldn't play MI then his bat really isn't that good.

lefthanded, yes. right not so well. and what if he's a disaster at 2B? The Reds can't continue to suck it up defensively IMO.

TMBS, I think they probably should have tried it this year and found out if it would have worked before he got big bucks in arb as SS.

Another thing to consider is that his bat is really only above average as a SS and maybe a 2B, but if he couldn't play MI then his bat really isn't that good.
    Eh. He on-bases well, and has a tiny bit of pop. He could work as a 3B. CF, maybe.

Eh. He on-bases well, and has a tiny bit of pop. He could work as a 3B. CF, maybe.
    and that's where the problem is IMO. He's already going to be making 5 mil and we're not sure where he'll even be able to play.

that's a lot of maybe's that are just fine when a guy is making less money but the time to find a position for a guy is before he's getting big bucks.

and that's where the problem is IMO. He's already going to be making 5 mil and we're not sure where he'll even be able to play.

that's a lot of maybe's that are just fine when a guy is making less money but the time to find a position for a guy is before he's getting big bucks.
    Player sucks, so he's going to make a lot of money and he can't play another position so let's trade him for less than he's worth.

Bang that drum.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?