Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wow, I thought Swisher turned it on this year.

Hybrid View

Wow, I thought Swisher turned it on this year.

Had stellar months of April and May, posting 313/404/738 and 299/409/551 lines respectively, but since then, has not hit over 204 in a month, and has hit 215/311/342 since the break.

Re: Wow, I thought Swisher turned it on this year.

He was fun to watch at Ohio State - and sometime the "ting" of a college bat does wonders hiding holes in swings.

If Nick can adjust to what he's been seeing - he could have a nice Sean Casey-type career. Without the hugs.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    He was fun to watch at Ohio State - and sometime the "ting" of a college bat does wonders hiding holes in swings.

If Nick can adjust to what he's been seeing - he could have a nice Sean Casey-type career. Without the hugs.
    If Nick can adjust, he could hit for a lot more power than Casey. He was being projected as a 35-40 HR guy with Gold Glove skills at 1B.

Somewhat of an interesting story about Nick here in West Virginia. There are two public high schools here in Parkersburg, Parkersburg High(Big Reds, referred to as PHS), and Parkersburg South(Patriots, or generally referred to as just "South"). The PHS-South rivalry is one of the biggest rivalries in the state of West Virginia, especially on the football field. Both Stadium Field and Erickson All-Sports Facility sell out fairly quickly with people camping out the morning before tickets go on sale.

Nick's dad, Steve Swisher, is a roving instructor for the Phillies and was an all-star catcher during the mid 70's to early 80's. He played for Parkersburg South and was a legend until he decided to enroll Nick at PHS. This basically fueled the rivalry between PHS and South, not only on the baseball field, where Nick holds the state record, but in football as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

Swisher has been noted as a guy that won't hit for high average, mostly power with a decent OBP. Most scouting reports I have read predict him to be around .260/.340/.500 during his better years, with a solid glove at 1st base. Basically he's supposed to be about an above average hitter at 1B with an above average glove from what I understand - solid but not spectacular from any accounts. Personally, I hope Votto can develop into a similar player.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Been through Parkersburg a lot of times. Never thought it big enough for two high schools. Hmmm
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    Been through Parkersburg a lot of times. Never thought it big enough for two high schools. Hmmm
    33,099 people according to wikipedia. Including Williamstown and Vienna, the population is 46,956. Huntington, by comparison, has 51,475 and Charleston has 53,421. Morgantown has 26,809.

Those three all have two high schools. If it wasnt for Vienna, there probably wouldnt be a need for two high schools.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

PS - WVRed, you need to update your count. Another Bengal got arrested last night or today. And another Steeler picked on up too I believe.

One of my first radio gigs was in Parkersburg...LOVED THE PLACE!

Great town and if I am not mistaken, the rivalry between PHS and South was pretty strong a long time before Swisher ever came through. I am sure he helped ad some fuel to the fire.

Used to go to a place called Whimpy's...a burger joint in downtown P-burg..Wow...I still miss that place.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    One of my first radio gigs was in Parkersburg...LOVED THE PLACE!

Great town and if I am not mistaken, the rivalry between PHS and South was pretty strong a long time before Swisher ever came through. I am sure he helped ad some fuel to the fire.

Used to go to a place called Whimpy's...a burger joint in downtown P-burg..Wow...I still miss that place.
    True and true. PHS had pretty much dominated for a long time until recently, and that is from in-state. Ever since Marshall Burdette was forced to resign, they havent been the same team. Not to mention South has really kicked it up a notch and have probably become the best team in the area, even though Devol resigned.

Sorry for going off topic guys.

PS-Never heard of Whimpy's before. Where was it at?

In the past couple of months Swisher has had a recurrence of mononucleosis, and a bout of food poisoning. That might account for a lot of his offensive problems.

Turn Off Ads?