Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill me now - BA Prospect Hot Sheet

Kill me now - BA Prospect Hot Sheet

#8 - Not Kyle Lohse

Traded from the Reds to the Twins, Ward dominated his former team in his first Beloit start as he threw 5 2/3 shutout innings to earn his eighth win. That followed a shutout in his final Dayton start. The Gardner-Webb product is now 8-0, 2.18 in 120 innings and has just added to the Twins impressive systematic pitching depth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kill me now - BA Prospect Hot Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    #8 - Not Kyle Lohse

Traded from the Reds to the Twins, Ward dominated his former team in his first Beloit start as he threw 5 2/3 shutout innings to earn his eighth win. That followed a shutout in his final Dayton start. The Gardner-Webb product is now 8-0, 2.18 in 120 innings and has just added to the Twins impressive systematic pitching depth.
    Kill me when he does it in high A if not AA.

Clemson

5 innings 2 runs 0 walks 7 K's...against the braves

sounds better than beating up on a dayton team where one of their 2-3 decent hitters has a stiff neck

Clemson, he has been doing that all year...to every team.
    That was the point.
    Kyle Loshe did just fine for the Reds. It also was just one start.

Quote Originally Posted by Clemson
    5 innings 2 runs 0 walks 7 K's...against the braves

sounds better than beating up on a dayton team where one of their 2-3 decent hitters has a stiff neck
    And a 7 ERA the rest of the season...

At least Kyle Lohse is pitching in the majors. That is more than Ward (or any other single A pitcher) is likely to ever do. Folks need to get over their obsession with low-minors prospects. The VAST majority of them never even make the show, much less provide quality production.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 08-08-2006 at 08:07 AM.

And a league average ERA for his career.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    And a league average ERA for his career.
    So you would have had no problem if they dealt Bailey last year for Kyle Lohse?

So you would have had no problem if they dealt Bailey last year for Kyle Lohse?
    Well, depending on the other management team, I wouldn't have been surprised.

I'm with the majority here, So what if Zach Ward can toss it against Low-A ball. He's 23 with a drop-ceiling of potential. Zach Ward pitching is like Danny Almonte tossing it against the Iowa All-Stars a few years ago.

I'd rather have someone like Lohse, no matter how flawed, but is a servicable major leaguer than Zach Ward right now.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Yay!

Lohse in 1998 -- Rockford (Midwest) -- 19 years old -- 13-8 3.22 ERA 8.3 H/9 2.3 BB/9 6.4 K/9 1.19 WHIP

Ward will be lucky to have Kyle Lohse's Major League career. He'll be lucky to pitch one game in the Majors.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Lohse in 1998 -- Rockford (Midwest) -- 19 years old -- 13-8 3.22 ERA 8.3 H/9 2.3 BB/9 6.4 K/9 1.19 WHIP

Ward will be lucky to have Kyle Lohse's Major League career. He'll be lucky to pitch one game in the Majors.
    Wow...we'll see what happens.

First off, Ward is 22.

Secondly, its rough to lose a top 10 prospect in your organization for a guy with a 7+ ERA, regardless of if they guy is in A ball or AAA.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    First off, Ward is 22.

Secondly, its rough to lose a top 10 prospect in your organization for a guy with a 7+ ERA, regardless of if they guy is in A ball or AAA.
    My contention would be that Ward is almost exactly where Lohse was 8 years ago, but he was 3 years younger!

If Zach Ward ends up having a Kyle Lohse-type MLB career, that would be great. The odds are against him ever throwing a pitch at the MLB level, however.

I have no problems with this deal. They traded a guy who might make it for a guy who could go pitch immediately at the MLB level.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    My contention would be that Ward is almost exactly where Lohse was 8 years ago, but he was 3 years younger!

If Zach Ward ends up having a Kyle Lohse-type MLB career, that would be great. The odds are against him ever throwing a pitch at the MLB level, however.

I have no problems with this deal. They traded a guy who might make it for a guy who could go pitch immediately at the MLB level.
    I might also contend that Zach Ward could have pitched in the majors this year and had an ERA of 7.07.

Another thing is, this was Zachs first year in the minors. He also will be promoted faster than Lohse was if he produces, being he is a college product and not a HS product. The Reds kept him in Dayton for their own reasons, but not because he needed to be there.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I might also contend that Zach Ward could have pitched in the majors this year and had an ERA of 7.07.

Another thing is, this was Zachs first year in the minors. He also will be promoted faster than Lohse was if he produces, being he is a college product and not a HS product. The Reds kept him in Dayton for their own reasons, but not because he needed to be there.
    The easier contention, based on minor league performance, would have been that Mike Burns could have managed a suitable ERA. That didn't happen.

Also, Lohse was promoted plenty fast. He made 16 starts in Minnesota at age 22.

Turn Off Ads?