Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think happens to Griffey in 2009?

University of Cincinnati

Re: What do you think happens to Griffey in 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by solo-baric
    Every fly ball he takes 3-5 steps back. That's not how you play. Hell he rarely dives for balls any more. I say DFA right now!
    Um not sure if you've ever played baseball before, but when I learned how to use fundamentals I was taught to first take a couple of steps back before making a play.....

And to say DFA right now whether you are joking or not is just ignorant.
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?

Way too far ahead to decide what to do with Junior.

He'll live happily ever after near Barry Larkin in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by solo-baric
    if i were the reds i would not sign him. He's well past his prime. If he's smart he'll search for a DH job in the AL. But i don't see him being a red. I liked him way back when but now he's useless. He WON'T run. Can't hit. And can no longer play center. Every fly ball he takes 3-5 steps back. That's not how you play. Hell he rarely dives for balls any more. I say DFA right now!
    Yeah, that makes tons of sense! Let's DFA him so we can eat his contract! :thumbdown

That was a lame post.

No, he's not what he used to be. That's what happens with age. But, the fact is he can still drive in around 80-100 runs a year and hit 30-35 homers. That's better than a LOT of talent in the league.

No, he doesn't need to be in Center, but he does need to be in the starting line-up and playing everyday (whether it's RF or 1B). Regardless of this OBP stuff, you can have the best OBP in the world, but if you're not scoring then the point is moot.

Um not sure if you've ever played baseball before, but when I learned how to use fundamentals I was taught to first take a couple of steps back before making a play.....
    That's the way I was taught.

He will bat third, play centerfield, 86 percent of reds fans will claim he is great because he is a good family man. They will still refer to this homers while at San Bernandino as an attestation to his greatness. he will cover the amount of ground inside the head of a pin

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport
    He will bat third, play centerfield, 86 percent of reds fans will claim he is great because he is a good family man. They will still refer to this homers while at San Bernandino as an attestation to his greatness. he will cover the amount of ground inside the head of a pin
    How you are continually allowed to post crap on this site is beyond me! Everytime you post, you never support yourself other than what YOU attest to, let alone anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed
    I still like the trade on paper.

Magic's numbers were good with the Nationals. For whatever reason, he isn't pitching as well now. Is it fatigue? Is he hurt? Who knows. But you can't argue that Bray and Magic weren't two of the best three relievers the Nationals had. Theoretically, it should have worked out, but it hasn't.

On the other hand, I still think Kearns and Lopez are and will end up being average players. Average players aren't hard to replace.
    Wrong thread?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

my 2 cents

Griffey in 2006 should be platooning in RF with Deno & batting ~6th

Griffey in 2009 should be retired

- Will

I think he'll retire. I think he'd rather be with his family at this point in his life.

I don't see him hanging around and being a PH/spot starter like Tony Perez did, even though I still think he'd be productive (if healthy).

Also, it's not like he's gotten that warm of a welcome with this whole "coming back to Cincy" thing.

If the Reds were really close to contending, he might be tempted to stay around.

Also, I doubt Jr really cares about numbers like 600 HR. He just doesn't seem to be a big ego guy on milestones (unlike Bonds, Henderson, etc).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

He should retire. It would be a sad state of affairs to see him only get offered one-year deals for tiny amounts. His career has been badly tarnished because of injury; he'd be wise to listen to reliable counsel who says hang it up when the time comes.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

If he's still playing in 2009 I'll be positively shocked. We're seeing the beginning of the end here. He's "healthy" and he's still lost a ton of foot AND bat speed. Next year will be even worse. I hate to be a downer, but I expect a total of about 800 more plate appearances as he winds down his career. He'll hit #600 and ride off in to the sunset after 2008.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I gotta say that I believe Griffey will end his career in a Reds uniform. He's made enough money over the years to compensate him for the rest of his life.

Come 2009, we will see Junior retired. Sad, but true.

Anyone remember a healthy Austin Kearns?

Re: my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Will M
    Griffey in 2006 should be platooning in RF with Deno & batting ~6th

Griffey in 2009 should be retired

- Will
    I wouldn't mind JR. in right field, but platooning with Deno is beyond ridiculous. Have you watched Deno at the plate? He can barely hit the ball out of the infield and if he does it's very weak. JR. should and will be in there almost every day. I believe he'd be best in the cleanup or 5th spot.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Guys I'm certainly not the smartest guy on this forum but let me ask What Griffey are we talking about here. The Guy missed most of the first 6 weeks of the season comes back and hits several game winning HRs got a big walkoff hit against Milwaukee a couple weeks back. He' been in a slump but in the last week he's come out of it.The guys on a pace to drive in 100 runs and all anyone can worry about is his ops and obp and his shabby play in centerfield.Take his presence out of this lineup and see how this offense goes then. When Griffey was signed and brought in here everybody was estatic that we had him and locked up for 9 years. Now did you all expect him to be hitting 45-50 hrs and playing flawlessly for all those years ecpecially as he got older.Only Bonds got better as he got older and we all know why.I don't remember if his so called shabby play in centerfield has cost us a game this year or not but our infield defense has cost us a few along with a weak bullpen so to be constantly ragging Griffey and that contract we all were for the most part glad to give is getting old.I will say however that moving him next year to a corner outfield position might be a good idea.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?