Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think happens to Griffey in 2009?

What do you think happens to Griffey in 2009?

Griffey is under contract through 2008. I wonder what will happen with him in 2009 when that contract is finally lifted off the Reds' back. Will he...

1. Retire?

2. Re-sign with the Reds for a bargain price? (1 year/$1.5 million, something like that)

3. Sign with another team?

I bet he retires. Two more years left in Griffey's career. Well, he would probably come back in '09 if he was stuck on 599 HRs, but it's a moot point because he will get there by '08.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you think happens to Griffey in 2009?

if i were the reds i would not sign him. He's well past his prime. If he's smart he'll search for a DH job in the AL. But i don't see him being a red. I liked him way back when but now he's useless. He WON'T run. Can't hit. And can no longer play center. Every fly ball he takes 3-5 steps back. That's not how you play. Hell he rarely dives for balls any more. I say DFA right now!

put him at first base..it'll save his legs and keep him healthier..and giving him the strength in his legs to drive the ball better

Can he be stopped?

He'll most likely retire. Unlike Bonds, Griff didn't juice, which means his shelf life won't go to 42 like Barry. If he's still prooductive and hitting .260 with 20-25 homers, I bet he can get a DH job with a mediocre AL team looking to draw fans. But at that point in his career, is that something he wants? I'm sure Griffey wants a title, and would decline to extend his career if it means being on another horrible losing team.

I think it will depend on if he gets 600 before then. He'll probably end this year with 32 or 33 (apparently that's worthy of a DFA) and that will leave about 28 or 29 to 600 which he will probably get next year if he stays healthy. I really hope he gets 600 in a Reds uniform, and I'll do my best to be at that game. In the age of steriods he is one guy that did it the right way and is worthy of his 600th home run being made into a big event, but sadly because of others using steriods Jr. getting to 600 home runs won't be as big a deal as it should be. I am still proud to have him as a Red.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 08-08-2006 at 12:41 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

If I'm not mistaken the Reds have an option on Griffey for 2009.Not sure though.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

I don't want Griffey back next year, much less 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I don't want Griffey back next year, much less 2009.
    Ok. Let's say we trade or DFA him (if we trade we'll probably get more junk middle relievers). Who's going to pick up his production of runs batted in? Any candidates?

I'll take Junior in his lessened condition than a host of other junk we could come up with in center. The team who scores the most runs wins. Regardless of how good your pitching is. Just ask Houston. They have a problem.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Ok. Let's say we trade or DFA him (if we trade we'll probably get more junk middle relievers). Who's going to pick up his production of runs batted in? Any candidates?

I'll take Junior in his lessened condition than a host of other junk we could come up with in center. The team who scores the most runs wins. Regardless of how good your pitching is. Just ask Houston. They have a problem.
    Griffey has a .296 OBP and is a defensive liability in CF. He can flat out NOT hit lefites. He is hitting .196 vs. LHP. He drives in a good amount of runs, I will give you that. However he is in no way worth his contract. You could use his money and go buy someone that would out perform him.

This team is being built around Dunn and Encarnacion. That is plenty of run production right there. Go get yourself a decent RF with a fair amount of pop (Kearns would have been ideal but oh well), and a leadoff man in CF that is solid defensively. No not Ryan Freel.

Anybody have a list of upcoming free agents this year?
    Last edited by reds44; 08-08-2006 at 02:13 AM.

Griffey has a .296 OBP and is a defensive liability in CF. He can flat out NOT hit lefites. He is hitting .196 vs. LHP. He drives in a good amount of runs, I will give you that. However he is in no way worth his contract. You could use his money and go buy someone that would out perform him.
    I'm not really being difficult here, but all this OBP stuff is not important when you drive in 100 real runs. You can OBP at 1.999 and if it doesn't result in runs, you lose. And his contract is his contract, which BTW, is less than the going rate for even Griffey. You have to find a way to replace the runs. We've seen that with the Washington trade and with the reluctance to play your favorite Encarnacion while playing an aging Aurilia.

This team is being built around Dunn and Encarnacion. That is plenty of run production right there. Go get yourself a decent RF with a fair amount of pop (Kearns would have been ideal but oh well), and a leadoff man in CF that is solid defensively. No not Ryan Freel.
    That message hasn't been received by Jerry Narron. Edwin has been benched at every opportunity in favor of Aurilia, Castro, etc. That's a fable. And watching recent maneuvers by our GM tells me that no one is safe. The LT contract was before he realized he needed middle relief more than he needed runs. The only safe player is one who is perceived as a good fielder with experience. Yes, i'm disgusted.

Anybody have a list of upcoming free agents this year?
    Forget about that. Free agents need not apply. Just like always.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Narron doesn't decide who stays and who goes, Krivsky does that. Edwin will be here in 3 years, Rich and Castro won't.

If Narron doesn't run the team how Krivsky wants it run, he won't be here. Simple as that.

Narron doesn't decide who stays and who goes, Krivsky does that. Edwin will be here in 3 years, Rich and Castro won't.

If Narron doesn't run the team how Krivsky wants it run, he won't be here. Simple as that.
    I totally agree which is part of the problem. I never thought I'd ever say that.

Always remember, that driving in and producing runs is the name of the game. You can have Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Tom Seaver, Roger Clemmons, and Randy Johnson as your rotation, but if you do not score runs, you lose every time.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    I totally agree which is part of the problem. I never thought I'd ever say that.

Always remember, that driving in and producing runs is the name of the game. You can have Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Tom Seaver, Roger Clemmons, and Randy Johnson as your rotation, but if you do not score runs, you lose every time.
    True, but one the game is centered around is making outs. You don't make outs, you score runs.

Griffey is having issues not making outs this year.

2008 will be his last season.
    Go Gators!

I still like the trade on paper.

Magic's numbers were good with the Nationals. For whatever reason, he isn't pitching as well now. Is it fatigue? Is he hurt? Who knows. But you can't argue that Bray and Magic weren't two of the best three relievers the Nationals had. Theoretically, it should have worked out, but it hasn't.

On the other hand, I still think Kearns and Lopez are and will end up being average players. Average players aren't hard to replace.

Turn Off Ads?