Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claussen out for the season....

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Claussen out for the season....

CINCINNATI -- Reds starting pitcher Brandon Claussen will have arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder and is expected to miss the rest of the season.
    On Monday, Claussen decided to have the procedure done after he spent a month on a rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Louisville. The left-hander has been on the disabled list since June 17 with what was first diagnosed as rotator cuff tendinitis.

Team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek will perform the surgery, possibly this week. It could take six weeks of rehabilitation before Claussen could resume baseball activities.

"It'll just clean out some of the 'junk' inside his shoulder that a pitcher sometimes gets and won't quite let him get over the hump," Kremchek said Monday night.

An MRI taken in June revealed damage to Claussen's labrum and rotator cuff. He took a cortisone shot and originally opted for rehabilitation.

"I want to get it fixed," Claussen said. "I knew there was a problem there before. Taking a pill is not going to reattach my labrum. I wanted to exercise every option I possibly could before I did it."

In five rehab starts for Louisville, Claussen was 0-2 with an 8.34 ERA and 31 hits allowed over 22 2/3 innings. He also struggled before his injury, going 3-8 with a 6.19 ERA in 14 starts this season for the Reds.

The final day of Claussen's 30-day rehab assignment was Monday. The club would have had to make a roster move on Tuesday if Claussen returned.

"The main thing is for him to have peace of mind and get the surgery done so he'll be ready to go at Spring Training," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "That's the best thing for him so he can get as much rehab time as possible. We would have liked to have had him available as a starter, but it's not going to happen."

Before this season, Claussen never had any shoulder problems. In 2002, he had Tommy John surgery on his left elbow to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Claussen out for the season....

There had to be something wrong. The guy was pitching well in the last half of last season. So well, in fact, that many thought he was ready to turn the corner. and then the season started.

I wish him the best, but with Brandon, we now have three pitchers who have come up with sore arms. EDEddie and Magic also. Eddie and Magic came via recent acquisition (though we gave up less for Eddie than Magic). Surely we can have some good luck with our moves sometime during this century. an't we?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

"So Fla Red"

Bummer, but not surprised since he regressed from a decent run in '05. If it's not serious then this might actually be a good thing going into ST 2007.

I thought getting Claussen back to at least average was one of the 2-3 keys for the Reds making any kind of realistic 2H run this season.

If you would have said in late March than on August 7th;

1) KGJ would have an OPS 150 points below his career average
    2) Larue would be batting below .200 with nine xBH on the season
    3) Claussen would have delivered 3 wins and a 6+ ERA before going on the shelf for the year
    4) 8-guys would be DFA'd (including 5 pitchers)
    5) Once again we would be treated nightly to the worst defense in the NL

I think I would have signed up for 95 losses.

Not at all to speak ill of Doc' Hollywood here but..

I just can't help but to sometimes wonder about this clubs medical staff. I admit, I have NO knowledge at all concerning sports medicine.

It's just seems many injuries to Reds players have been treated with rest and rehabilataion only to end up on the operating table.

Kremcheck is considered one fo the best in the business. Alot of athletes, from all around the country, come to Cincy for his diagnosis/surgerical skills. The list is quite extensive.

A 1986 graduate of the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Dr. Kremchek completed his orthopaedic residency at Tufts University in Boston, Ma. In 1993, he completed a one year Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship at the Alabama Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham AL. under the direction of Dr. James Andrews (probably the best in the nation) and DR. Lawrence Lemak.

"An MRI taken in June revealed damage to Claussen's labrum and rotator cuff. He took a cortisone shot and originally opted for rehabilitation."

That is the course of action most athletes/patients will take FIRST to either try and forestall or prevent from having surgery (to see if it will work). Surgery is always the last result. And while MRIs are very, very useful - one does not really know the extent/seriousness of the damage until the decision is made to go in.

But you always try other methods first before surgery.

But we are also not talking about surgery on your "average joe" who might have torn his rotator at home or work, and has a far greater chance of recovering with minimal effect. Had a co-worker/friend who fell on an icy driveway last winter and tore his rotator really bad (with other complications). He was off a few months after the surgery, came back to work on restrictions for several weeks while doing rehab, and is pretty much back to normal. But for the rest of his life he will have to guard that shoulder and is on lift restrictions. But he will be able to adapt/live with it. He has no other choice.

Now compare that versus an athlete whose primary job is centered on the health of that shoulder, and who is to go out there every 5th day and throw a baseball with somewhat pinpoint accuracy around a 100 pitches 90 mph. Today's technology and surgery has come along way with far greater success; but there is still that risk.

It just depends on the severity of the damage. There are no guarantees, even from the best surgeons.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-08-2006 at 06:32 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

So we really can't count on Claussen for next year then.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    And while MRIs are very, very useful - one does not really know the extent/seriousness of the damage until the decision is made to go in.
    I can verify this first hand.

I tore my ACL playing softball, and had an MRI. He originally thought that I had pretty much tore everything in the middle of my knee. The MRI made it look that way. Thing was, there was just a ton of scar tissue loose inside my knee that clouded up the MRI. When he got in there to do the ACL replacement surgery the ACL was still mostly intact, only partially torn. So he left it, and just cleaned out my knee real good.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    According to the article....

Team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek will perform the surgery, possibly this week. It could take six weeks of rehabilitation before Claussen could resume baseball activities.

"It'll just clean out some of the 'junk' inside his shoulder that a pitcher sometimes gets and won't quite let him get over the hump," Kremchek said Monday night.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Well, RIGHT NOW they are saying it is just a frayed shoulder NOT torn. In otherwords, he should be back to his old self(however good is that lol) next season. It is when the labrum/rotator cuff is torn, the problem becomes magnified signifigently.

Though when Dr. K goes in there, who knows what may happen. Josh Hall supposedly just went in to surgury for a similiar procedure 3 years ago, and they found out the labrum was torn. His chances of being a major league pitcher thus was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    About as much as we got from Paul Wilson this season
    Go Gators!

We shall see. Usually when you have the words surgery, rotator cuff and labrum in the same sentence, it's not good news.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Well, RIGHT NOW they are saying it is just a frayed shoulder NOT torn. In otherwords, he should be back to his old self(however good is that lol) next season. It is when the labrum/rotator cuff is torn, the problem becomes magnified signifigently.

Though when Dr. K goes in there, who knows what may happen. Josh Hall supposedly just went in to surgury for a similiar procedure 3 years ago, and they found out the labrum was torn. His chances of being a major league pitcher thus was over.
    Wasn't a "frayed labrum" what Paul Wilson had? I think Kremchek is a good surgeon but he has not had success with shoulder surgeries. Gruler, Hall, Hudson, Wilson...I think of one who was as good as before, let alone better.

We can't count on much here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Wasn't a "frayed labrum" what Paul Wilson had? I think Kremchek is a good surgeon but he has not had success with shoulder surgeries. Gruler, Hall, Hudson, Wilson...I think of one who was as good as before, let alone better.

We can't count on much here.
    No, no, Paulie had a partial tear. That is MUCH different than what Dr.K is implying about Claussen. He is saying essentially, Claussen has no tear. thus he can begin throwing in 6 weeks. I think Rodger Clemens had a frayed labrum at some point that needed some cleaning back in the mid-90's that spurred his ressurrection to Hall of Famer. A tear vs. frayed are two different things.

Said the same thing about Paul Wilson.

You can't just go in and clean up a frayed shoulder like a Barber trims wild hairs.

I know it's better to try rest and rehab before surgery, I find it foolish however to sign and resign Pitchers with shoulders akin to ground beef.

But then again I guess we've learned not to believe all that we read and hear.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 08-09-2006 at 04:04 AM.

I'm kinda thinking Claussen is pretty much done. I think we've seen the last of him IMO

Turn Off Ads?