Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips D

Phillips D

Here is a run down of what Phillips has done in the field so far. The rankings are from ESPN.com, and the rankings are for NL second basemen:

Double Plays - 11th
    FPCT - 10th
    RF - 13th
    ZR - 6th

Comments?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips D

He is young... real young and was given up on by Clevland... We took what they didn't want and turned it into a good 2nd basemen... Not great... But better then what we had to start the season.....

He is only going to get better as the years go by..... I like him... he has some flash to him... and he keeps adding it...
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Seems to me he comes up big whenever the Reds really need him. A.K.A Ryan Freel. I'll take a team full of those guys.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Seems to me he comes up big whenever the Reds really need him. A.K.A Ryan Freel. I'll take a team full of those guys.

Then how could Richy Aurilia bat 4th and play 3rd base nightly?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Doesn't seem to me that number of double plays is a very reliable indicator of a 2B's fielding prowess, since a DP usually depends on 3 players making that happen. And given the defensive issues we've had at SS and 3B, the ranking holds even less water.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    Then how could Richy Aurilia bat 4th and play 3rd base nightly?
    Good queston. I like what Rich has done for the team this year so I can't bang on him.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Good queston. I like what Rich has done for the team this year so I can't bang on him.
    While I don't have a problem with him.. As long as he is used correctly and that rarely ever happens...

Jockstocks Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    While I don't have a problem with him.. As long as he is used correctly and that rarely ever happens...
    Understood. One of my favorite players growing up was Mark Carreon. He was used properly for most of his career. There were times I remember seeing him hit .400 or better fo long stretches because of how he was used.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Understood. One of my favorite players growing up was Mark Carreon. He was used properly for most of his career. There were times I remember seeing him hit .400 or better fo long stretches because of how he was used.
    I remember him from the Tides. I think you mentioned in another post that you worked for the Tides at one point, correct?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Phillips would be great hitting seventh. He is too inconsistent to hit 6th. I like him defensively but would leave him at second base. I don't see any good coming from switching positions, where another adjustment will be necessary. Reds should get a reliable shortstop in the off-season, perhaps using some of the dough they saved in the Kearns/Lopez heist. As he gets more experienced, Phillips will turn more DPs and make fewer errors.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    Here is a run down of what Phillips has done in the field so far. The rankings are from ESPN.com, and the rankings are for NL second basemen:

Double Plays - 11th
    FPCT - 10th
    RF - 13th
    ZR - 6th

Comments?
    great range, good arm--i think he's a mispositioned shortstop...which where's he played most of the time except for the majors, in large part because of some guys named Vizquel and Peralta.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Phillips will make great plays and then cough up routine plays but this is his first full season in the bigs if you dont include the 110 games from 03. His defense will only continue to get better and I think he will have a shot to receive a gold glove at 2nd, maybe SS in the next 2-3 years.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed
    I remember him from the Tides. I think you mentioned in another post that you worked for the Tides at one point, correct?
    Yep sure did. Mid 90's to late 90's.
    Cedric 3/24/08

The two plays that BP made this year where he ended up fielding and throwing from the 3rd base side of 2nd show me that the kid has phenomenal range....I can't wait to see him at SS come Spring Training.
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11
    I can't wait to see him at SS come Spring Training.
    Before the Cardinals' series, I was thinking that if the Reds lost 3 of the 4 (or worse), and if the poor range and/or singles-hitting only from Clayton played a role in those losses, then we'd see the Phillips at SS experiment begin the very next day.

Turn Off Ads?