Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EZ tipping pitches

goGUEST!

EZ tipping pitches

from VIVA la Birdos

"according to bernie, elizardo ramirez was tipping his pitches, giving away his fastball; the cardinals had "a lengthy hitters meeting" about it before the game and applied the knowledge immediately. in the first inning they saw 11 strikes and swung at 8 of them -- and put the ball in play on all 8 swings. didn't just put it in play, either -- roped it, yanked it down the lines and over the wall. only one player (rolen) swung at an off-speed pitch; ev'yone else feasted on fastballs. beginning with the 2-0 pitch to duncan -- which resulted in a single to plate the game's first run -- the cardinals scored 5 runs in a span of 7 pitches.

way to go, scouts."

He was tipping his changeup a month ago

I want Verne and his extensive use of film and analysis back!!!
    Tom Hume is just too laid back for a pitching staff of our limited caliber.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: EZ tipping pitches

I am actually kind of relieved. I'd rahter know he was tipping his pitches then thinking he just sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I am actually kind of relieved. I'd rahter know he was tipping his pitches then thinking he just sucked.
    The disturbing part though is the fact that the Cardinals figured it out, and the Reds pitching coach and scouts did not.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I really didn't get to see the Lizard pitch last night but it does not surprise me at all. A lot of the Reds pitchers do it. I'd say 1/2 depending on who's on the DL. Coffey did it and has a tendency to still do it. Something so simple but so important.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I'm tired of these excuses--no one ever just "sucks." It's always, "he's hurt" or "he's tipping pitches."

Nonsense. He got whipped because he has pedestrian stuff.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

[QUOTE=goGUEST!]from VIVA la Birdos

"way to go, scouts."

He was tipping his changeup a month ago
    QUOTE]

Also funny that you say that. I was in my car when I heard the Reds were down 9-1. I laughed and said out loud. "Way to go Mike (Jorgensen) you nailed 'em again." Jorgensen is probably one of the top 3 Pro Scouts in the business. He doesn't miss a thing. If he left, Dave Duncan would throw himself on a sword.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    He got whipped because he has pedestrian stuff.
    You mean he walks a lot of batters?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Old Red Guard Reject

Well, he could throw a breaking ball at some point. Even Chris noticed that he was apparently struck on establishing the fastball or something. I was ticked from the very start with Belliard hitting a double. Whoever is the Reds advance scouts in charge of watching Ronnie Belliard should graciously resign b/c you DO NOT throw him fastballs!!! He can't hit the breaking ball, but everytime I watch him play the Reds somebody tosses him a big, get ahead fastball that he hits early in the count.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    You mean he walks a lot of batters?
    I thought he was just BABIP unlucky, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm tired of these excuses--no one ever just "sucks." It's always, "he's hurt" or "he's tipping pitches."

Nonsense. He got whipped because he has pedestrian stuff.
    Well they are called opinons and everyone is allowed to have them.

Could you please send your resume to the Reds so we can go 162-0 and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Well they are called opinons and everyone is allowed to have them.
    Everyone except FCB apparently.

Oh yeah, nobody ever lets him say anything.

He seems to be catching alot of flak lately. That's all I'm saying.

Those aren't opinions. They are fact!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    I really didn't get to see the Lizard pitch last night but it does not surprise me at all. A lot of the Reds pitchers do it. I'd say 1/2 depending on who's on the DL. Coffey did it and has a tendency to still do it. Something so simple but so important.
    The Reds really need a pitching coach. Not so sure Hume can handle both BP coach and pitching coach roles.

Wonder if Vern Ruhle will be back next year? I'm sure the Reds are sensitive to holding his position for him, until he gets better. Maybe they can assign an "interim" pitching coach?

Turn Off Ads?