Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EZ tipping pitches

Re: EZ tipping pitches

Quote Originally Posted by goGUEST!
    from VIVA la Birdos

"according to bernie, elizardo ramirez was tipping his pitches, giving away his fastball; the cardinals had "a lengthy hitters meeting" about it before the game and applied the knowledge immediately. in the first inning they saw 11 strikes and swung at 8 of them -- and put the ball in play on all 8 swings. didn't just put it in play, either -- roped it, yanked it down the lines and over the wall. only one player (rolen) swung at an off-speed pitch; ev'yone else feasted on fastballs. beginning with the 2-0 pitch to duncan -- which resulted in a single to plate the game's first run -- the cardinals scored 5 runs in a span of 7 pitches.

way to go, scouts."

He was tipping his changeup a month ago

I want Verne and his extensive use of film and analysis back!!!
    Tom Hume is just too laid back for a pitching staff of our limited caliber.
    This just quoted by Marty! Kudos to whoever sent that in.

2. Turn Off Ads?

For anyone out there...what are some ways of tipping pitches...I'm just curious what to look for.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Kaldaniels, there are many different signs. Hand positioning, positioning of the glove pre pitch, where the glove comes to rest at.... Just off the top of my head those are some of the ones that jumped out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by fisch11
    I don't know how to take it when rumors fly around that a pitcher "tips his pitches." That's what the Mets said about Danny Graves when they picked him up last year. We all know that story.
    But there is one difference. All of us knew that Graves was simply cooked at that point, mentally and physically. Elizardo is a young pitcher who may be tipping his pitches or may just be going through some inconsistency as a young, but still developing pitcher.

Either way, I find the theory that Elizardo is tipping his pitches more believeable than the theory that Graves was doing the same.

I thought the same exact thing when I was watching the game. The Cardinals were swinging very early in the count.

Todd Coffey has been much better since TC informed us about him tipping his pitches. I haven't looked at his numbers since the last trip to Atlanta, but they have improved, a ton, I would think.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- Seeking an explanation for why Reds pitcher Elizardo Ramirez was roughed up so badly against the Cardinals on Monday, Reds pitching coach Tom Hume and bullpen coach Lee Tunnell decided to analyze videotape.
    In Monday's 13-1 loss, St. Louis hitters appeared to be sitting on nearly all of Ramirez's pitches. The righty allowed seven runs -- six earned -- over 1 2/3 innings. It was a 5-0 game after just 12 pitches were thrown.

In a bullpen session a couple of weeks ago, Hume noticed Ramirez had tipped some of his pitches -- and showed a different look when throwing fastballs and changeups.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Narron: 'E-Z' not tipping his pitches
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

CINCINNATI — Despite giving up 29 earned runs in his last 35 innings, despite giving up four runs on his first eight pitches to the St. Louis Cardinals Monday, despite the possibility he might be tipping his pitches, Elizardo Ramirez will trudge to the mound in Philadelphia Saturday.

The Cardinals hammered Ramirez for five runs in the first inning and all eight batters that inning connected with hard swings the first time they swung.

Scott Rolen, who doubled in the first inning, was asked if the Cardinals were looking for first-pitch fastballs and he said, "Not really." Then he smiled.

Cincinnati manager Jerry Narron said pitching coach Tom Hume and bullpen coach Lee Tunnell went over and over the tapes of Ramirez's 12/3 innings to see if he was tipping pitches.

"But all they saw was what we all saw — he was throwing the ball right into the wampum zone, is what I think," Narron said.

Nevertheless, "Our plan right now is for E-Z (4-8, 4.93) to go back out there. I'm not concerned that he is 23 and might be pitching too many innings. I'm only concerned when his innings are not as much as we'd like."

Of the prospect of tipping his pitches, Narron said, "Hume and Tunnell spent a lot of time just to see if he might have been doing something to give away pitches, that type of thing."

They didn't see anything.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?