Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little things that make me proud to be

Little things that make me proud to be

a baseball fan...

Did anyone see Shea Stadium when Piazza returned? Very classy of them. My buddy text messaged me and said the highlight video they put up on the big screen sent chills down his spine the way the fans reacted.

I think they got a cue from the Sox fans earlier this year when Pedro returnd to Fenway.

Its nice to see stuff like that

2. Turn Off Ads?
    bomarl1969

Re: Little things that make me proud to be

Little things that make me proud to be a baseball fan...a man named Ryan Freel!!!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I flipped over to that game on Extra Innings when the Reds game was inbetween innings and when Piazza singled with 2 out and none on, the Shea fans got a chant of Mike Pi-azza going... it was really kinda nice.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 08-08-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bomarl1969
    Little things that make me proud to be a baseball fan...a man named Ryan Freel!!!
    And I second that motion.

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    a baseball fan...

Did anyone see Shea Stadium when Piazza returned? Very classy of them. My buddy text messaged me and said the highlight video they put up on the big screen sent chills down his spine the way the fans reacted.

I think they got a cue from the Sox fans earlier this year when Pedro returnd to Fenway.

Its nice to see stuff like that
    anyway we can see that video?

Quote Originally Posted by huber14
    anyway we can see that video?
    Good question...i have no idea.

also, cut out the Freel crap. this was a seroius thread that you are hijacking with nonsense like that. Freel maybe a reason to make you proud to be a RED fan but it has nothing to do with the game of baseball as a whole.

true baseball fans will do things like the Shea fans did today for piazza, the sox fans did for pedro, or the braves fans when they stood and clapped for randy johnson when he no hit them.

true fans would have enjoyed watching a future HOF in Greg Maddux during his 6 no hit innings and gave him a standing ovation after the game resumed and he was taken out. (why didnt you root for maddux that game? its only "one game"--isnt that the dumb argument thrown around here lately?)

Nothing is more important in professional sports than class.

nothing.

I am a bit surprised to hear that. What with Piazza's seemingly soft reputation, I figured a hard core town like NY would kinda give him the "yeah he was ok" kinda shoulder shrug!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    I am a bit surprised to hear that. What with Piazza's seemingly soft reputation, I figured a hard core town like NY would kinda give him the "yeah he was ok" kinda shoulder shrug!

when he tried to take on Clemens after getting a broken bat thrown at him, he def. became Queens' boy.

what a great series 2000 was.

also, cut out the Freel crap. this was a seroius thread that you are hijacking with nonsense like that. Freel maybe a reason to make you proud to be a RED fan but it has nothing to do with the game of baseball as a whole.
    I would disagree with that. Freel is a reason I am proud to be a baseball fan because he plays the game like it is supposed to be: all out! Yeah, it makes me proud to be a Reds fan too, but I enjoy whenever I am watching a game and see people that play like Freel no matter what team they are on.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    I would disagree with that. Freel is a reason I am proud to be a baseball fan because he plays the game like it is supposed to be: all out! Yeah, it makes me proud to be a Reds fan too, but I enjoy whenever I am watching a game and see people that play like Freel no matter what team they are on.
    ok i can see where u are coming from but i guess my point would be that its easy to root for any of the reds, its our favorite team but it says alot when opposing fans will respect a player enough to show appreciation of talent and ability.

However, freel hasnt played long enough or had any accomplishments to warrant any such reaction from an opposing crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan

However, freel hasnt played long enough or had any accomplishments to warrant any such reaction from an opposing crowd.
    I'd counter that it didn't matter how long he played or who he played for when he does some of the things he has been doing lately. I would think many baseball fans, regardless of their affiliation, would really appreciate such effort and the recent nearly-amazing results. The inital comment is certainly well-taken by me and seems to be within the spirit of the thread unless I am just way off base.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I gotta hand it to the Cards fans when Griffey hit his 500th in St. Louis. It brought tears to my eyes at how they honored his accomplishment, going so far as to delay the game while he gave his family hugs.

It was classy.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If Ryan Freel were traded tomorrow, and came back next week with a different team in our ballpark, I'd be the first one out of my seat giving him a standing ovation. Ryan Freel is a ballplayer, plain and simple.

My favorite one was when Clemens made his last regular season start at Fenway, as a Yankee, in a game that still mattered in the standings, when everyone really believed he was actually retiring. They were able to put everything aside for a moment, the division race, all the bad feelings, even him beating them for the hated rival, and just salute him as if he was still one of their own, one last time.

bomarl1969

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    If Ryan Freel were traded tomorrow, and came back next week with a different team in our ballpark, I'd be the first one out of my seat giving him a standing ovation. Ryan Freel is a ballplayer, plain and simple.
    Amen. I know there is no comparision, but this guy plays the game that would make Peter Edward Rose proud to be a Reds manager.

Turn Off Ads?