Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Milton's 2nd half success

Eric Milton's 2nd half success

I just wanted to bring up a dead thread that I posted right after the All-Star break. It shows stats for best/worst performances after the break.....read on.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...ond+half+stats

I really believed around the All-Star break that Milton was going to be the swingman for the team's postseason chances. Hopefully, we get some more quality starts like tonights out of him down the stretch!
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Eric Milton's 2nd half success

EVERY game is important which translates EVERY starter is important through NOVEMBER.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I have been pleasantly surprised with Milton this season. His stats don't completely show it, but I think he could be a solid #3 down the stretch. He was so awful last year that I wrote him off as a steroid guy. But maybe he just had a bad year. He's never had good ERAs, but he was always a pitcher that could keep you in the game. He sure didn't do that last year, but he's battling this year and keeping us in games.

Of course it helps when we rake out 17 hits and 10 runs.

Of course Milton hasn't been 100% the last year or so... Now that his knee has settled down and feels better... He is getting sucess... Not the sucess that he had as a Twin... But he is still a soild starter when he is 100% - Just not for the money we are paying him is all.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I was happy to see Narron pull him before he really got into his third trip through the lineup where it's well documented that he struggles and went to the pen, which did well.

"So Fla Red"

Stat of the night for Harang/Arroyo/Milton/Ramirez... Clearly Milton has assumed the #3 spot in the rotation (granted Ramirez took a big hit on the OPSA front last night)

OPSA
    Arroyo .717
    Harang .733
    Milty .753
    Ramirez .798

OPSA w/RISP
    Harang .731 (da man at keeping fires under control)
    Arroyo .826 (not so hot, but better at keeping the fires from starting)
    Milton .831 (in-line with Arroyo)
    Ramirez .969 (mayday, mayday)

WHIP
    Arroyo 1.22
    Milty 1.26
    Harang 1.29
    Ramirez 1.39

H/9
    Milton 8.83 (Interesting)
    Arroyo 8.93
    Harang 9.15
    Ramirez 10.20

GO/AO
    Ramirez 1.18 (good sign for GABP in the future)
    Harang 1.00
    Arroyo .84
    Milty .53 (wrong park, wrong home park...)

BAA
    Milton .251
    Arroyo .257
    Harang .267
    Ramirez .284

K/9
    Harang 8.46
    Arroyo 7.00
    Ramirez 6.07
    Milton 5.31

P/IP (Interesting -- I thought)
    Milton 15.07
    Arroyo 16.08
    Ramirez 16.13
    harang 16.47

K/BB
    Arroyo 3.43
    Harang 3.40
    Ramirez 2.65
    Milton 2.09
    Last edited by oregonred; 08-09-2006 at 04:28 AM.

Three cheers for a nice outing by Milton. He really stepped up.

With our current deep pen, we can afford to bring him out after 6 innings or at first sign of trouble. This helps out a lot. In fact, Harang and Arroyo are the only two I give any leeway to. That deep bullpen will make all the guys better.

I agree. Props to Eric Milton. I'm actually developing some confidence in the guy.

Our 3 top starters have 29 wins.Is that tops in the NL? Pretty impressive when you think about the last 5 or 6 years.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

By no means did Milton have his best stuff last night, nor did he have his control. But he still held the Cardinals to only two runs in one of the biggest games of the year. Props to Milton for turning his career around here. He's not spectacular, but he's definitely solid when he's on.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    By no means did Milton have his best stuff last night, nor did he have his control. But he still held the Cardinals to only two runs in one of the biggest games of the year. Props to Milton for turning his career around here. He's not spectacular, but he's definitely solid when he's on.
    That's true, but it seems as if Milton's margin-of-error is extremely thin. If he's off just a little, those fly outs are homers. He had a ton of fly outs last night, and I'd think it's because he was hitting his spots very well. If he's off on his spots just a fraction, it's homer time.

Maybe shaving the goatee got his mind and body aligned properly?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster

Maybe shaving the goatee got his mind and body aligned properly?

maybe he took Gary Majewski's cortisone shot in the knee.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Since the break, Milton has started 6 games going 3-3 with 4.54 ERA. He's pitched 39.2 innings and only given up 33 hits and 15 walks. Milton is pushing Arroyo for the #2 spot and is pitching better than Bronson at this point.

Milton doesn't give up a ton of walks and doesn't give up a ton of hits. He does give up a ton of homers. When he gives up homers he loses. When he keeps the ball in the yard, he wins.

If you put Milton in Petco, I bet you his ERA drops a full point or more and he wins 14-15 games a year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Milton doesn't give up a ton of walks and doesn't give up a ton of hits. He does give up a ton of homers. When he gives up homers he loses. When he keeps the ball in the yard, he wins.

If you put Milton in Petco, I bet you his ERA drops a full point or more and he wins 14-15 games a year.
    I believe right now Arroyo's ranked #2 in the league for homers given up. But yes, Uncle Milty does give up a ton of them as well.

Turn Off Ads?