Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    110

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    You stated it as fact, so it's better if it's backed up. If you're stating it as opinion, then that's fine, and you have no need to back it up, though it helps. But to state it as fact, then say that evidence is "impossible to prove" is a pretty weak argument.

    I just never get over the irony of a fan on his team's message board calling out a TV network for bias In my opinion the Reds have gotten plenty of coverage as they've begun to win, which is how it is for most teams, and, dare I say, how it should be.
    I never stated it as a fact. Read back.

    The Reds get plenty of coverage on their own broadcasts, but they are left out of the loop on SportsCenter and BBTN. Whether the Yankees, Mets, or Cubs are doing good or not....they still cover them a helluva lot more than the Reds.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Can you give me these instances?
    I can tell you for certain that the online and ESPN Mobile highlights didn't even include The Catch. They looked like a Cards victory until you saw the score, quite frankly. ESPN is all about entertainment, not real sports news. They are very good at it, which is why I watch FSN almost exclusively now. At least they make a seperate show for that nonsense with the BDSSP.

  4. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    187

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Chainer
    ESPN put him at #2 because he is a Red. If he was not in a Reds uniform, you can bet your sweet buns he would be at #1 with that catch.

    The ESPN cronies have something against Reds players. I don't know what it is, but they have never been very high on the Reds. And partially it's because they have ex-players doing the broadcasts.


    That's the reason why I posted this thread.

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    110

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    I can tell you for certain that the online and ESPN Mobile highlights didn't even include The Catch. They looked like a Cards victory until you saw the score, quite frankly. ESPN is all about entertainment, not real sports news. They are very good at it, which is why I watch FSN almost exclusively now. At least they make a seperate show for that nonsense with the BDSSP.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that!

  6. #35
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,193

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Chainer
    Whether the Yankees, Mets, or Cubs are doing good or not....they still cover them a helluva lot more than the Reds.
    Throw in the Red Sox, who also get a lot of coverage, and that's essentially the whole Eastern seaboard and the Midwest's only truly large city you're talking about there. They are much bigger markets, many more cable subscribers in sheer numbers. Essentially, they're paying for it. ESPN loses viewers and money if they don't give a nod to their biggest markets.

    If the Reds win consistently, they'll get more fans. If they get more fans, there's more money in it for ESPN, and we will see more of them. That's the way it works. I still maintain that having Freel as the #2 play was completely acceptable and doesn't smack of any bias whatsoever.

    Like Herd Fan says, this is why FSN exists. No reason to watch ESPN if you don't want to.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  7. #36
    Member Gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Currently in MD
    Posts
    948

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Throw in the Red Sox, who also get a lot of coverage, and that's essentially the whole Eastern seaboard and the Midwest's only truly large city you're talking about there. They are much bigger markets, many more cable subscribers in sheer numbers. Essentially, they're paying for it. ESPN loses viewers and money if they don't give a nod to their biggest markets.

    If the Reds win consistently, they'll get more fans. If they get more fans, there's more money in it for ESPN, and we will see more of them. That's the way it works. I still maintain that having Freel as the #2 play was completely acceptable and doesn't smack of any bias whatsoever.

    Like Herd Fan says, this is why FSN exists. No reason to watch ESPN if you don't want to.
    I agree, because we all know only walkoff HRs and Slam Dunks are truly #1 spot worthy.
    Is it "next season" yet?

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    110

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Throw in the Red Sox, who also get a lot of coverage, and that's essentially the whole Eastern seaboard and the Midwest's only truly large city you're talking about there. They are much bigger markets, many more cable subscribers in sheer numbers. Essentially, they're paying for it. ESPN loses viewers and money if they don't give a nod to their biggest markets.

    If the Reds win consistently, they'll get more fans. If they get more fans, there's more money in it for ESPN, and we will see more of them. That's the way it works. I still maintain that having Freel as the #2 play was completely acceptable and doesn't smack of any bias whatsoever.

    Like Herd Fan says, this is why FSN exists. No reason to watch ESPN if you don't want to.
    Okay....so let me get this right....

    First you tell me that I'm wrong for not showing proof that ESPN doesn't cover Reds games at times....then you explain to me why they don't cover them?

    Wow.

  9. #38
    Mon chou Choo vaticanplum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    7,193

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Chainer
    Okay....so let me get this right....

    First you tell me that I'm wrong for not showing proof that ESPN doesn't cover Reds games at times....then you explain to me why they don't cover them?

    Wow.
    I didn't say you were wrong for saying ESPN doesn't cover Reds games. Never once. I asked for proof, which you refused to give me. You did initially state this as a fact. There was no "I think" or "in my opinion" in your assertion. I dropped this in my last response because I didn't want to keep dragging it on, but if you insist, I will.

    There have been many instances this year where they have not covered Reds games on recaps and just gave the final scores, but covered basically every other game in the MLB on that given night.

    And how many great plays has Brandon Phillips made this year to be ranked in the lower half of the top 10 normally? Quite a bit.
    In no way do those two statements read as opinions. they have no evidence to back them up, but they do not sound like opinions.

    If ESPN does in fact cover Reds games less than other teams, I maintain that it is not because of a simple bias outside of their own business concerns as far as the big markets go -- which they must consider as they are, after all, a money-making enterprise. It is also because the Reds have not yet proven that they are a consistently good team, and thus do not have a huge fanbase at this time. Again, as the Reds win more, they will get covered more, leading to a bigger fanbase and vice versa. And they have been getting more coverage when they've been winning as far as I can tell.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    110

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I didn't say you were wrong for saying ESPN doesn't cover Reds games. Never once. I asked for proof, which you refused to give me. You did initially state this as a fact. There was no "I think" or "in my opinion" in your assertion. I dropped this in my last response because I didn't want to keep dragging it on, but if you insist, I will.



    In no way do those two statements read as opinions. they have no evidence to back them up, but they do not sound like opinions.

    If ESPN does in fact cover Reds games less than other teams, I maintain that it is not because of a simple bias outside of their own business concerns as far as the big markets go -- which they must consider as they are, after all, a money-making enterprise. It is also because the Reds have not yet proven that they are a consistently good team, and thus do not have a huge fanbase at this time. Again, as the Reds win more, they will get covered more, leading to a bigger fanbase and vice versa. And they have been getting more coverage when they've been winning as far as I can tell.
    That's the whole point. If a person doesn't have evidence to back themselves up, it IS an opinion!

    The whole point of this is really moot. Let's get back on topic, shall we?

  11. #40
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    I believe Edmonds is a FA at the end of the season.Imagine what George Grande would do if Edmonds was a Red.

  12. #41
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Freel made the Reds' #1 Webgem in franchise history tonight on BBTN, but not for "The Catch." It was an older one where he made a diving catch at the warning track near the camera well on the third base side from an older game.

  13. #42
    Can he be stopped?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    1,231

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    what were the other 2? and what day was that, i'm gonna go watch it?
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

    Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

  14. #43
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    what were the other 2? and what day was that, i'm gonna go watch it?

    nevermind on the link I posted, it wasn't what I though, sorry.

    One was Joe Morgan in the WS and the other, I'm blanking on the name, but it was a bobbling diving catch that ended up being barehanded.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 08-09-2006 at 10:23 PM.

  15. #44
    "A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,299

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    Hopefully, David Ross's MAMMOTH walk off shot will be number one tonight!

  16. #45
    Can he be stopped?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    1,231

    Re: Sporstcenter's Top Plays

    i found the 3rd base catch elsewhere:

    Freel's sliding catch

    scroll down to april 16th, click the "wrong URL" link, its bigger
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

    Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25