Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Griffey

What to do with Griffey

Here's the deal. We have an aging, slumping, slow running centerfielder doing nothing to cement his status as an everyday player. Why is Griffey immune to the constant juggling of the lineup. Why is Griffey, who plays so deep in center that Freel could run from home to first twice before Griffey reaches the infield not substituted in late innings for a better defensive player. Why is Griffey not sat down more then every once in awhile since he has done nothing offensively since the break. I know Griffey is Griffey, but remember when Larkin was Larkin? Does Jerry Narron take a plunge into the deep end and at least move Griffey down in the order so that bats like Hatteberg and Encarnacion get the chance to produce in the clutch or do we sit and watch as Griffey swings at pitches in the dirt and has bloop fly balls drop infront of him? Only time will tell, please Jerry make the right decision.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: What to do with Griffey

And the right decision would be to move Junior to LF or 1B, right?

Roll him up in a carpet and throw him off a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by runfreelrun
    Here's the deal. We have an aging, slumping, slow running centerfielder doing nothing to cement his status as an everyday player. Why is Griffey immune to the constant juggling of the lineup. Why is Griffey, who plays so deep in center that Freel could run from home to first twice before Griffey reaches the infield not substituted in late innings for a better defensive player. Why is Griffey not sat down more then every once in awhile since he has done nothing offensively since the break. I know Griffey is Griffey, but remember when Larkin was Larkin? Does Jerry Narron take a plunge into the deep end and at least move Griffey down in the order so that bats like Hatteberg and Encarnacion get the chance to produce in the clutch or do we sit and watch as Griffey swings at pitches in the dirt and has bloop fly balls drop infront of him? Only time will tell, please Jerry make the right decision.
    At the VERY LEAST he should move to right field. Ryan F. could have had a better chance of getting to balls that went over Griffeys head in the Dodger series.

For the TEAM, Eric Davis swallowed his pride and moved to left field in 1990. That got him a well deserved WORLD SERIES RING.

ENOUGH SAID.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

A strong manager would call Junior in and say, "I respect the hell out of you, but you have a chance to help us accomplish something that you haven't been a part of since coming here; a playoff game. It's my opinion that moving you to RF full time and dropping you to 5th in the batting order temporarily would help our chances. Can I count on your support in making that move"? I bet he would accept this if handled that way.

This topic has already been beat to death on this forum and others. With as bad as this offense is we need Griffey's 21 hr's in their. He is definitely in a slump but even the great ones slump from time to time. I am sure he will break out of it and than we can move on to more important topics like Dunn's strikeouts. As far as moving Griffey ask Mgmt because that is a management decision. If Narron wanted it done he would have asked him if he refused I am sure Krivs would have been trying to unload him.

He isn't moving out of CF this year. Forget about that. All you can do is move him down in the lineup and go with a Dunn/Edwin/Hatteberg middle of the order.

Hopefully he retires at the end of the year, but if not he MUST be moved to the COF.

You forgot though, EE doesnt play

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    A strong manager would call Junior in and say, "I respect the hell out of you, but you have a chance to help us accomplish something that you haven't been a part of since coming here; a playoff game. It's my opinion that moving you to RF full time and dropping you to 5th in the batting order temporarily would help our chances. Can I count on your support in making that move"? I bet he would accept this if handled that way.
    Very good point, I can (HALF) understand Griffey's pride in staying in Center field. But he is so cocky. He was on WLW before a game about two weeks ago. Griffey said, "I could write you a check and BOUNCE A BANK." I wish FURMAN would have said, "EARN THAT CHECK." He should make the managers job easier and just say, "I will move to left or right field to help the team." I know........ :deadhorse

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2
    Very good point, I can (HALF) understand Griffey's pride in staying in Center field. But he is so cocky. He was on WLW before a game about two weeks ago. Griffey said, "I could write you a check and BOUNCE A BANK." I wish FURMAN would have said, "EARN THAT CHECK." He should make the managers job easier and just say, "I will move to left or right field to help the team." I know........ :deadhorse
    I think Griffey was having fun with the commentators. Don't confuse cockiness with having fun, Griffey likes to joke around with people always has since his days in Seattle. As far as earning that check how many people come out to see a natural hall of famer.

griffey is gonna retire a RED. you better believe that. he'll switch to LF in a year or two (like Eric Davis did) trust me.

It would be a PR nightmare to let the hometown boy go after he took somewhat of a discount to sign wiht us back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by KalDanielsfan
    griffey is gonna retire a RED. you better believe that. he'll switch to LF in a year or two (like Eric Davis did) trust me.
    The problem with that is Dunner. Where is he gonna play? Hatte is playing 1b next year and Votto after that.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    I think Griffey was having fun with the commentators. Don't confuse cockiness with having fun, Griffey likes to joke around with people always has since his days in Seattle. As far as earning that check how many people come out to see a natural hall of famer.
    Griffey was totally joking around. I think the guys on WLW rib him pretty hard and he was just giving it back. I heard the entire thing and it was nothing.

I for one hope Griffey does not retire. I want to see him hit at least 600 HR. He deserves to be in that select company.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    Griffey was totally joking around. I think the guys on WLW rib him pretty hard and he was just giving it back. I heard the entire thing and it was nothing.

I for one hope Griffey does not retire. I want to see him hit at least 600 HR. He deserves to be in that select company.
    Yes, but I do not think he should say that type of comment when he is not putting up the offense and Defense numbers.

I could understand if he said that with Seattle when his "numbers" were GREAT.

I don't think Freel could play every day in center and stay healthy. Griffey can still play center. He doesn't get too as many balls as he used to, but that's because he set the bar so high for himself. There's no doubt he needs to pick it up in these last two months, but I'm by no means ready to throw him off any bridge. He's almost 37, and has played in the majors since what, 19? He played on that turf for all those years... he doesn't have many seasons left, obviously. But he can still catch nearly any ball that he gets to. I love Freel... I just don't think he's any better as an every day option.

Turn Off Ads?