Some projected this team to be in last place and be a non-factor before the season started.

Some said the end was near when they had that horrible June (or was it May, I can't remember now).

Others said the end had started when we lost a number of games to the lowly Cubs and Royals (right before sweeping the Astros and Cards).

The total implosion of the bull-pen was a sure sign of the end of the season was the claim of some.

The pick-up of Everyday Eddie, a tired old broken down arm was said to be a tiny step towards our finish as a team.

Then came the appocloypse, "The Trade". That surely was the end of the team once we gave up all that offense and weakened the D. Heck, "the trade" blew up Redszone for a while, so the Reds definatley weren't long for this world. The race to last place had begun!

Then the pick up of Loshe and Cromier was cried as the end of the team. How could we hope to survive after giving up valuable prospects for such horrible pitchers.

Just Monday night, after a particulary embrassing drubbing at the hands of the Cards the season was offically pronouced DOA. One had to wade through the game threads carefully to avoid the cast-off as some picked over the bloodied carcas of the team.

I'm not predicting we win the World Series, Divsion, Pennant or the WC. I'm not saying that we woln't implode by the end of the season. I'm certinally not saying the team is perfect and without fault. We may very well fade from contention as our starting pitching weakens down the strech.

But I AM saying that this team keeps fighting. This team that was picked to be in last place right now is still in the hunt, however weak their position might be. The fact reamins we are in 2nd place, out 3.5 games, tied for the WC.

All of this desipite not being one full year out of the reign of terror from the Schott/Bowden/Linder/Allen/OBrian years.

Not too shabby.....