Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It ain't over, till its over.

It ain't over, till its over.

Some projected this team to be in last place and be a non-factor before the season started.

Some said the end was near when they had that horrible June (or was it May, I can't remember now).

Others said the end had started when we lost a number of games to the lowly Cubs and Royals (right before sweeping the Astros and Cards).

The total implosion of the bull-pen was a sure sign of the end of the season was the claim of some.

The pick-up of Everyday Eddie, a tired old broken down arm was said to be a tiny step towards our finish as a team.

Then came the appocloypse, "The Trade". That surely was the end of the team once we gave up all that offense and weakened the D. Heck, "the trade" blew up Redszone for a while, so the Reds definatley weren't long for this world. The race to last place had begun!

Then the pick up of Loshe and Cromier was cried as the end of the team. How could we hope to survive after giving up valuable prospects for such horrible pitchers.

Just Monday night, after a particulary embrassing drubbing at the hands of the Cards the season was offically pronouced DOA. One had to wade through the game threads carefully to avoid the cast-off as some picked over the bloodied carcas of the team.

I'm not predicting we win the World Series, Divsion, Pennant or the WC. I'm not saying that we woln't implode by the end of the season. I'm certinally not saying the team is perfect and without fault. We may very well fade from contention as our starting pitching weakens down the strech.

But I AM saying that this team keeps fighting. This team that was picked to be in last place right now is still in the hunt, however weak their position might be. The fact reamins we are in 2nd place, out 3.5 games, tied for the WC.

All of this desipite not being one full year out of the reign of terror from the Schott/Bowden/Linder/Allen/OBrian years.

Not too shabby.....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: It ain't over, till its over.

I've been hearing this team is in a tailspin since June.

I'm still waiting....

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

very well said Ltlabner...

Great post! If I could give you rep every day, I would.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

For a Level Playing Field

Been a great year for REDS fans. Been a better than expected year for REDS fans. Been great...!

Great post. I feel exactly the same way.

They're not mathematically eliminated. I'll keep watching.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Keep pumping that sunshine.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

CardsFanInChiTo

The Reds have a very good chance of making the playoffs stats wise. The playoffs odds from BP:

Code:
    Average wins by position in NL Central:  87.4 83.0 79.2 75.4 70.9 63.6
    NL Central        W    L    Pct3  Avg W  Avg L  Champions  Wild Card   Playoffs
    Cardinals         61   51   .470   86.1   75.9   65.12431   10.89732   76.02164
    Reds              58   55   .486   83.1   78.9   26.98595   16.75901   43.74496
    Astros            54   58   .464   78.8   83.2    6.12918    4.69717   10.82635
    Brewers           52   60   .450   76.1   85.9    1.63941    1.43688    3.07629
    Cubs              48   64   .444   71.5   90.5     .12102     .08617     .20719
    Pirates           42   71   .424   63.9   98.1     .00013     .00008     .00021
    Link

Almost 44% is pretty good. Once a team makes the playoffs who knows what will happen? It's pretty much a crap shoot.

Keep pumping that sunshine.
    Perhaps you got confused by this part of my post? Or is that still to "sunshine" for you?

I'm not predicting we win the World Series, Divsion, Pennant or the WC. I'm not saying that we woln't implode by the end of the season. I'm certinally not saying the team is perfect and without fault. We may very well fade from contention as our starting pitching weakens down the strech.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-09-2006 at 05:28 PM.

I don't think you have ever posted anything that has confused me. I just don't go in for that rah-rah, maximum effort, fightin' spirit stuff.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I don't think you have ever posted anything that has confused me. I just don't go in for that rah-rah, maximum effort, fightin' spirit stuff.

How does pointing that the team's collapse that's been predicted since before the season has not happened fall into the "rah-rah" catigory?

I was simply pointing out that despite all of the predictions of doom this team is doing well.

Why do you seem to find that distastefull (me pointing out that they are doing well)? Or at least, that is how it appears to me.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-09-2006 at 06:06 PM.

At least Marge Schott's ''reign of terror''included a World Series Champioship.But I feel what your saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    How does pointing that the team's collapse that's been predicted since before the season has not happened fall into the "rah-rah" catigory?

I was simply pointing out that despite all of the predictions of doom this team is doing well.

Why do you seem to find that distastefull (me pointing out that they are doing well)? Or at least, that is how it appears to me.
    I took your "this team keeps fighting" statement to mean "they have that can-do spirit and a lot of heart." That's the kind of thinking I find distasteful.

If that wasn't your intended meaning, then I apologize.

Looking at it again, it looks like you're simply celebrating the team's performance, which is great. I don't have a problem with that.

Can he be stopped?

2.5 games back

Turn Off Ads?