Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thank you, Mr. Castellini

Re: Thank you, Mr. Castellini

The real test for Castellini will come this off-season.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Yeah right.... they packed the seats for $1 hotdogs, while those half-priced seats for a series pitting the top two teams in the division (whom we've pretty much owned this year) had nothing to do with it.
    I am surprised that they did not have a Kmart flashing blue light special yet, you just wait the fans will really show up then.

I like what Castelini says, but I will wait to see what he achieves. I am a little uncomfortable with his direction so far in going with older and cheap backup player castoffs, a cheap unproven manager, cheap bullpen, cost and talent wise, and a cheap cast of players on the bench. Castelini and Krivsky have a lot of work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    I am surprised that they did not have a Kmart flashing blue light special yet, you just wait the fans will really show up then.
    Yea, exposing at least 30,000 more people to the Reds winning some fantastic ball games....what a dope he is. Packing the house (partly) to help boost the teams morale durring an important series seems like a pretty good idea to me, especially since it generated aditional revenue's that may well have not happened without the promotion. I'm not sure what is "cheep" about it as people are claiming. This is BASEBALL not the symphony or Lincoln Center. Promotions such as this are part and parcel to the territory.

I like what Castelini says, but I will wait to see what he achieves. I am a little uncomfortable with his direction so far in going with older and cheap backup player castoffs, a cheap unproven manager, cheap bullpen, cost and talent wise, and a cheap cast of players on the bench. Castelini and Krivsky have a lot of work to do
    It's all in how you spend that money. If he went out and loaded up on expensive FA's and burdened the team with big LT contracts people would flip out. And they are still hampered with the big contracts that eat up a lot of payroll; Milton, Jr, LaRue, etc.

They are plugging in these "castoffs" (as most teams do) in an effort to see if they can add something to the team. Those who don't work out find a way to be gone (see: White, Mays, Yan). I know Clayton is still here, but I don't see him being a long term solution. If they bring him back next year then we have a problem.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-12-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    especially since it generated aditional revenue's that may well have not happened without the promotion.
    That's the whole point, bad/inferior product has to be discounted to market it. We shall see in the future if he really does improve the product or just dances around with marketing puffery. Discounting those empty seats to gain some additional revenue though will reflect better on the financials.

That's the whole point, bad/inferior product has to be discounted to market it. We shall see in the future if he really does improve the product or just dances around with marketing puffery. Discounting those empty seats to gain some additional revenue though will reflect better on the financials.
    Yep. Horrible teams since the turn of the century and previous owners who did little to nothing to improve the team despite claims they would do differently will do that to a fan base.

The team has been doing well but erratically for less than one year. That's not going to cause people to come streaming back. It's going to take "marketing puffery" to get those fans back in the stadium.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Yep. Horrible teams since the turn of the century and previous owners who did little to nothing to improve the team despite claims they would do differently will do that to a fan base.

The team has been doing well but erratically for less than one year. That's not going to cause people to come streaming back. It's going to take "marketing puffery" to get those fans back in the stadium.
    It will take good product, it will take personnel that can evaluate talent correctly and be able to apply those resources correctly to spend that money effectively to have something more than common marketing spins. The consumer is not so naive or dumb that they cannot discern wins from losses, and will take their dollar votes elsewhere until the product improves.

Castelini does know that 50% off sales moves produce, even without the blue light.

It will take good product, it will take personnel that can evaluate talent correctly and be able to apply those resources correctly to spend that money effectively to have something more than common marketing spins. The consumer is not so naive or dumb that they cannot discern wins from losses, and will take their dollar votes elsewhere until the product improves.

Castelini does know that 50% off sales moves produce, even without the blue light.
    Yep. You are 100% correct about good product building fan base. However, putting a good team together, rebuilding the farm system, rebuilding the scouting program doesn't take place overnight. It takes time to do this. So you get to work on this right away, and I think they have done that.

So in the short run BC is using "marketing puffery" (as if that were somehow a bad thing) to boost revenues and hopefully pursuade more consumers to spend their entertainment dollars on the Reds.

You are right the fans aren't dumb, but they have ALREADY taken their entertianment dollars elsehwere. Hence the sub par attendence even while the team has been hanging in there. BC is taking steps to get those people back in the short term, to help fund the long term changes that will put a good product back on the field.

That's good business.

And Bob knows his fruit and vegetables.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Yep. You are 100% correct about good product building fan base. However, putting a good team together, rebuilding the farm system, rebuilding the scouting program doesn't take place overnight. It takes time to do this. So you get to work on this right away, and I think they have done that.

So in the short run BC is using "marketing puffery" (as if that were somehow a bad thing) to boost revenues and hopefully pursuade more consumers to spend their entertainment dollars on the Reds.

You are right the fans aren't dumb, but they have ALREADY taken their entertianment dollars elsehwere. Hence the sub par attendence even while the team has been hanging in there. BC is taking steps to get those people back in the short term, to help fund the long term changes that will put a good product back on the field.

That's good business.
    You are right that he had a good proactive marketing/management plan to reintroduce the Reds fan base or to invite what might be a new generation of potential fans with his discounting of the seats. After thinking about what you had written your points made very good sense, yes, it made good sense for him to offer seats that might otherwise go empty and generate no revenues or concessions when those same seats that they have already expensed through their lease agreement can generate revenues at a discount. Actually it was very creative.

You are right that he had a good proactive marketing/management plan to reintroduce the Reds fan base or to invite what might be a new generation of potential fans with his discounting of the seats. After thinking about what you had written your points made very good sense, yes, it made good sense for him to offer seats that might otherwise go empty and generate no revenues or concessions when those same seats that they have already expensed through their lease agreement can generate revenues at a discount. Actually it was very creative.
    But you are also totally 100% correct in that if they don't put a winning team on the feild in a reasonable period of time then the fan base will not respond. In the long term you gotta have a solid team out there.

Turn Off Ads?