Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen the 9/11 movie?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone seen the 9/11 movie?

What did you think?

I'm thinking about going. Hope I don't cry.

University of Cincinnati

Re: Anyone seen the 9/11 movie?

I assume you mean Oliver Stones World Trade Center, and no I haven't seen it yet but I plan on doing so this weekend. I've seen Flight 93 (A&E movie) as well as United 93 (theatre) and liked it however I think this one will be alot better.
    Last edited by beb30; 08-10-2006 at 10:09 AM.
    THE University of Cincinnati

From my understanding, it's a very UPLIFTING movie, and isn't about drama and trying to make people feel bad. It is supposed to actually have a good feel to it, and shed a whole new light on the WTC situation.

From the reviews I have seen, it has a very happy ending to it.

I just don't have any desire to relive anything about that day. It might very well be a great movie, but I don't plan to see it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I just don't have any desire to relive anything about that day. It might very well be a great movie, but I don't plan to see it.
    Exactly how I feel.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I feel the same way.

I'm sure it will be the feel-good event of the summer.

I know that movies get made about current events/tragedies all the time, but something about a movie studio trying to turn a profit from a movie about the WTC attacks feels very wrong to me... I mean, the sensible part of my brain knows that it is okay, and I'm a big 1st amendment guy, but that's still my underlying feeling about this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I know that movies get made about current events/tragedies all the time, but something about a movie studio trying to turn a profit from a movie about the WTC attacks feels very wrong to me... I mean, the sensible part of my brain knows that it is okay, and I'm a big 1st amendment guy, but that's still my underlying feeling about this movie.
    So Tora! Tora! Tora!, Pearl Harbor, Schindler's List (and every other movie about the Holocaust), etc., etc. should not have been made? Or does it make it more acceptable that significant time has passed since the events these movies have portrayed occurred?

I will go see it, if for no other reason than I actually like most of Oliver Stone's movies (not Alexander though). Also, one of my college roomies is an FDNY and one of my friends was killed while working for Cantor Fitzgerald. Donate to his memorial foundation here: http://www.markhindycf.org/
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Still feel like it's too soon to have made something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337
    I won't argue that point, as it is a matter of personal opinion, but I will note that it has been five years since 9/11. Movies about World War II were being made while that war was ongoing, and many of the WWII films concerned battles only recently fought. Of course many, perhaps most, of the films made during the war were simply very patriotic movies designed to rally the nation's spirits, but not all were. For that matter, films about the Vietnam War were being made within five years or so of the end of that war.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I think the relatively small amount of time plays a role... maybe also how this event is so singularly unique from anything else in American history.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I think the relatively small amount of time plays a role... maybe also how this event is so singularly unique from anything else in American history.
    It's only unique in the fact that 1) it occurred in recent memory, and 2) it was televised live.

Pearl Harbor was a much bigger event.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    It's only unique in the fact that 1) it occurred in recent memory, and 2) it was televised live.

Pearl Harbor was a much bigger event.
    Agreed, no question that Pearl Harbor is, far and away, the far more important and seminal footnote in the annals of American history.

A far-away military base--admittedly still American soil--versus maybe the most iconic symbols of New York City, America, and capitalism.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-13-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Turn Off Ads?