Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYTimes: what's love got to do with it...

NYTimes: what's love got to do with it...

Pretty fair article, I'dd say. About ticket sales and reaction to the Reds' success for the relatively uninnitiated:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/10/sp...ll/10reds.html

As usual, Arroyo impressess me iwth his straightforeard, pretty non-nonsense quotes.

going to sleep now.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NYTimes: what's love got to do with it...

thanks for posting.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

By TODD JONES
    I guess the pitching job in Detroit isn't making ends meet. Has to moonlight as a writer at The NY Times to pay the bills. I guess he knows something about Cincy since he spent time there.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Todd Jones does moonlight as a writer though I dont know if this is the same one.
    Last edited by smith288; 08-10-2006 at 08:33 AM.

10th in Batting Average?

Wow. The Reds offense IS terrible. How can they possibly score runs while being 10th in the all-important category of Batting Average?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    10th in Batting Average?

Wow. The Reds offense IS terrible. How can they possibly score runs while being 10th in the all-important category of Batting Average?
    Actually, as I posted the other day, the team is first in NL in OPS, second in OBP, yet only 6th in scoring runs. (Haven't updated this in last couple of days.) I think the offense would score more runs with a couple of additional high batting average hitters in the mix.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I really like how Todd got to work in a few comments saying the reds season will ultimately go for naught because of the Mets juggernaut. After playing them 7 times I wouldn't put any money down on the health of that rotation come playoff time.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Actually, as I posted the other day, the team is first in NL in OPS, second in OBP, yet only 6th in scoring runs. (Haven't updated this in last couple of days.) I think the offense would score more runs with a couple of additional high batting average hitters in the mix.
    Sprinkling some OPS dogs like Clayton, Castro and a couple of others in as regulars might contribute to that as well...

Thats what years of bad a bad relationship between the front office and the fans can do to a team. If this team makes the post season this year and makes a couple of moves in the off-season I could see attendance up around 33-35,000 next year. Its going to take Bob and Wayne a little while to get over what Jimbo and Lindner did. It also wouldn't hurt to get rid of Jon Allen too, while you are starting from a fresh approach.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Sprinkling some OPS dogs like Clayton, Castro and a couple of others in as regulars might contribute to that as well...
    Castro's OPS since coming over: .853.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Castro's OPS since coming over: .853.
    Just names of the top of my head. He's a career out machine though.

"Krivsky has traded for six relief pitchers since July 6. His 11 trades in six months — overhauling nearly half the roster — is two more deals than Dan O’Brien, his predecessor, made in 27 months."
    Wayne has been a busy boy.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Wayne has been a busy boy.
    O'Brien was a practitioner of wu wei.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Just names of the top of my head. He's a career out machine though.
    LaRue (.620) and Valentin (.616) would have been more appropriate examples for the argurment you were trying to make.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    LaRue (.620) and Valentin (.616) would have been more appropriate examples for the argurment you were trying to make.
    and until a week or so ago, Griffey.

Like I said, it was off the top of my head. Forgive me for remembering the 2k ABs of ~.600 ops over the last 53

Turn Off Ads?